Nationals Tentative Seating Chart

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Z010 Union, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Nah. I live in DC so I get to pay without having to buy a ticket.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This is something along the lines I was thinking. I just didn;t want to overstate the boundaries since I am "scum" after all and don't wanna get another yellow card because I posted here. :)

But beyond Metro - DC love fest....... It would be cool to see soccer fans take over a baseball game. :) Hell for $8 ya'll could make a fun time out of it, promote the MLS brand, and just shock the hell out of the baseball establishment. You folk have the opportunity to do something that I can't do here at Yankees Stadium.....

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Just as long as the Barra brings a huge banner reading "BASEBALL OUT OF RFK"

And actively cheer for the visiting team. Bring it for the opposition like you do for a United home game.

4. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While this might be how most people actually feel, it's obviously not wise to make an enemy, or make an enemy angry, under the current and likely future arrangements.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like a great opportunity to reap maximum benefit from a less than desirable situation.

Of course, in addition to seats used, all the ones behind them would have to be purchased as well, because I'm sure the stream of complaints would put an end to the idea real quick. ;)

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great idea. I'm 100% in for this.

6. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass
    yeah, exactly. it's all about my ego that's why i have so many posts.. i just like to hear myself talk. </sarcasm>

yes they are opinions, how people feel about music and sports are similar in their subjectivity. oh well.

i agree with the posts saying the nationals is a terrible name though...

7. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I believe we have found what is known as "common ground." :D

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Tim, you will have even more players from whom you can receive funny, translated emails on the Nationals team. :D

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    This will also reduce the number of columns that Thomas Boswell will have in the Post by about 25%.

10. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    ...and that's a really good thing!

11. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    we did similar stuff (dcu chants, no drums) in the late 90's at several caps games. it was fun and a lot of people around us seemed to enjoy it. timing was perfect that year, caps were sucking (as always) and dcu was in it's glory days. ;-)

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember a DC United chant in the waning moments of the Stanley Cup Finals as Detroit was coasting to their Cup. :D

13. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I see the only way that a DCU fan invasion would have any chance of having an effect at a baseball game at RFK would be if the home team really was stinking it up at the time, attendance was waning, and a hell of a lot of DC fans attended and did their thing strategically. Then again, I'm generally against the idea of reliving the cowboys-redskins and Diaz Arce Fans-United model. This wouldn't be on that level, but reminiscent.

Cheers,
    Tim

14. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not wholly convinced that having a blackout protest at a National's baseball game is such a good idea (but work on me). My concern is that we don't want to piss off the DC govt leaders, DCSEC and DC tax payers and general sports fans. We will need ALL of these folks to back us when we go for our own stadium. I can guarantee there will be opposition from people who don't want it in their neighborhood (for a variety of reasons), people who just protest the DC govt because it's there and people who are opposed to govt financing of sports arenas. The baseball hearing I went to in SW DC a few weeks ago was VERY hostile (and they had brought in a professional mediator to run the meeting).

The new seating at RFK is TEMPORARY and to be honest, having baseball come drives the point home that we need our own space quickly. Yeah being displaced is a pain and the SEs and BB will have to work harder to get people to move with them but if we play it cool we'll be rewarded in the end.

Now there's certainly nothing wrong with making sure people know that the place is shared with a 4 time title winner. Maybe we can buy some advertising signage at the stadium or in a program. Maybe we can organize a group of people to pass out DCU ticket info to folks as they exit the metro. We don't want to tell people that baseball is bad (being confrontational is not going to sway people) but if they like coming out to RFK and they like sports, here's something else to do on Sat night. We want to spin United and the game day experience at RFK as positively as possible.

K

15. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    If DCU gets scr*wed in the deal, I see old soccer balls flying out of the bleachers at random intervals and rolling across the outfield during some Nationals games.

16. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Or, whatever K says.

17. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Paul, Marty and myself started that I think :)

18. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    This is a good idea.
    Maybe a game of kickball would break out.

19. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, this is my attempt at concensus building.

At a game that espn or it's family of networks broadcasts, the supporters clubs and their friends will purchase a section of upper deck outfield seats and come dressed in black. No banners, no drums. Chanting the whole game.

20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As tempting as the 'protest' showing sounds, you have well explained why it may not be wise.

However, a positive presence could well have the same statement with the additional positive results mentioned above. Chants of "DC" are obviously supportive and would only be a taste of a DCU match. If DCU fans could be the most animated, most vocal, and most fun group in that stadium at a baseball game, it would say a lot. It would say even more when at the next game, those fans and what they brought to a baseball game were absent.

21. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is 'the ticket'. Count me in that concensus.

ESPN? Why set your sights so low? How about FOX?
    (They still broadcast MLB right? I dunno, never watch it)

22. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va

but ive always felt baseball was bad and this really isnt helping sway me the other way

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I wasn't suggesting a protest..... I was just suggestion showing the baseball world what a few crazed MLS fans can so atmosphere wise. I just wanna see the look on the baseball establishments faces. :) And at the same time ya'll plug yer local MLS side. Let everyone know that they play footy at RFK too. In a nice way of course.

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get into that discussion, but just so you know where I'm coming from when I say things: Baseball is fine by me, I enjoy playing it. MLB, I could care less about, and actually have a growing distaste for. I haven't chosen to watch a game in several years, and it's even longer since I went to a game. I am not "anti-baseball" because I've concluded it's a wasteful position.

That said, I feel the idea being kicked around here is not about baseball=good or baseball=bad or baseball at all, but rather it is about DC United= great, and soccer= great, and I think that through this alone an observer can draw whatever conclusion they want about baseball, as long as they see what DCU has to offer.

25. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    has anyone ever seen cheapo balloons that look like soccer balls? i think something like that would work great for release at rfk from the upper deck.

another offseason project. ;-)