Nationals Tentative Seating Chart

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Z010 Union, Nov 22, 2004.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    What do you mean BB is fun. On a beautiful spring day, you stand around for 3 hours talking with your friends and other fans drinking beer. What can be wrong with that.

On the other hand, that sounds similar to tailgating - so why bother?

Mike - you're on your own. By the way how can I take away from my BS "research" by taking on more commitments?

2. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United

I'm with Lastort. I'll be there day 1. In fact, I am getting Nats season tickets, to go along with my United seats. I'm a native Washingtonian and I've been waiting three decades for this. While it is going to be difficult for the United side of me (and I have had season tickets for DCU since 96), I am willing to put up with that. Moreover, I think it's ultimately good for soccer in DC, too.

Once again, I will state that for the life of me I don't understand the intense opposition to baseball among soccer fans.

3. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. The only time the Dodgers come to town next year is mid-week, and I'm not in the DC area during the week.

And nobody had better touch our and Freedom's championship banners on the South wall...oh, wait...is there room for 4 of them????

4. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    well it was drizzling so every time there was a cloud they would stop and make people wait :) We went and saw a movie in middle, then went back to stadium. I even took a nap, it lasted forever hehe :)

5. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Probably the same reason why there is so much intense opposition to soccer out there. People really are just indifferent to things they're not interested in. Take me: I'm not from DC, I haven't played baseball since I was a kid, and I've probably watched only one MLB game on TV in my life...I'm indifferent to the game. Much like most people in the US are to soccer. They don't really hate the game itself...they just don't like when it treads on their turf.

6. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well just in case DCSEC screws up the temporary seats, I'd like to be the first to welcome the Barra and the Screaming Eagles to the Quiet Side. :D

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Who knew JH6 sits in a $90 seat!!! Maybe they will fix up his secton a bit. I'm sorry but can you imagine paying $90 seat or 7K a season then and you have to use the bathrooms in RFK. I can't wait to hear the people.

Also, why would people hold anything against this team. I doubt that anyone associated with the team even knows that United exists much less has called RFK home for 9 years. I'm not paying big money but I might go sit in a cheap seat now and then.

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I would be the first to welcome them with open arms, but after the fun they had heckling Bo at the HDC, they may all sit next to La Norte! :D

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reserving judgement.

If I don't go to a Nationals game it's because it's hard to imagine how I could be more indifferent to baseball. But I'm certainly not going to boycott them just because of the stadium. The idea that they should somehow give a rat's ass about us is ludicrous.

If you want to really do some good, move to DC and vote against Mayor Williams next time you get the chance. Boy, if I was a DC resident I'd be hugely pissed at him for ramming this down the throat of the city, knowing that it doesn't have popular support.

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm a soccer fan who has no plans to attend. In my case: I was raised a fan of sports in general. My father was (among other things) a radio announcer for AAA baseball, so I grew up with baseball in the loop of sports I followed. My first trip to Wrigley was one of my personal high points, sports-wise. But let's be honest: baseball is made up of a lot of inactivity punctuated by brief periods of activity. So for me, the atmosphere, the feel, of baseball was much of the attraction.

And that was destroyed for me by a strike followed by a strike followed by a strike.

After the last strike, they talked about the fans driven away who wouldn't be coming back. Well, I'm one of them. The players and owners in Major League Baseball don't give even the teeniest tiniest fraction of a rat's arse about the average fan. So I don't give a rat's arse about baseball anymore.

For me, the stuff about the stadium is just an additional irritant; it's not baseball specific. It could be any sport and I'd be annoyed.

11. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I don't make it to the first game, I'll at least catch a handful.

12. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ill give my reasons:

1. The residents of the district overwhelmingly DO NOT WANT THE TEAM UNDER THE CURRENT TERMS

2. I am a United fan, first and foremost. I dont see how this is a good thing. Sure, it may SLIGHTLY speed up the process of United getting its own stadium (Ill beileve it when Im sitting in it), but there are so many cons. Such as: Having a dirt infield at United games, even if they put in sod trays, isnt exactly the safest setup for our players. Or, the fact that DC now cannot host USMNT games until we get a stadium. Or the fact that to accomodate a sport that has ditched this city twice already, the only winning team in DC is having to re-arrange ITS schedule, meaning the bare minimum of league games and probably not much else.

Not to mention the probable moves that the supporters clubs are going to have to deal with. RFK had one of the best soccer atmospheres available in North America, but after Baseball ravages the pitch and re-arranges the seating, I doubt we will be able to say that. Im sure us supporters will keep bringing it as hard as possible, but without the prime seating we had, Im not sure it will be as good. Not to mention how much watching a soccer game in a stadium set up for baseball is going to be aesthetically brutal. Who knows how many potential United fans will watch (especially after United is coming off a championship year with Adu in his sophmore season) and think that MLS is bush-league, playing with Baseball lines and dirt everywhere.

I understand the economic realities (more people are going to come to baseball than to United...although, seeing as they have over 160 games thats not really much to brag about), but I also understand that this is not a good deal for the city or its inhabitants. I dont want this to sound questioning of Mike or anybody else who supports both United and the Nationals, but I just dont see how someone who truly loves United can view this in anything but a negative light, except in terms of speeding up our stadium process.

I dont intend on spending a red cent on this new baseball team. Studies have shown that these kind of projects do not bear out the fruits that Williams is promising. The suits at MLB are lining their pockets with enough money without having mine.

13. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I don't know about the first game, but I'll probably go to a few over the course of the season. Flame away.

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RFK was never going to be forever for us. It is true that comparitively, the next two years will suck. But I'm not going to fight the realities of the situation, regardless of the fact that I like both baseball and soccer.

You have no idea that the infield solution will or will not be adequate. I wouldn't pass judgement on it just yet. Sure with DCSEC's checkered past, it just may suck, but if you haven't been part of the design process hold back until we see the crappy product. It's better than eating crow later.

I think that with our penchant for attracting visiting fans, we weren't so likely to get a game for the Hex, and we just may get a later one.

I'm also sorry that we're less likely to get extra games, but frankly, I've been underwhelmed by most of the teams recently. I only made the effort to see Forrest this year.

And are District residents overwhelmingly against the current deal? I think the loudest ones are for sure, but I would also think that a lot of residents are also ambivilant, and some are gung ho.

15. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an aside, that has to be the lamest names since the Chicago Federals of the Federal League.

I would have voted for Washington Grays.

16. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Great points.

Here's mine if anyone is interested:
    1. No USMNT matches. This stinks with the hex coming up next year, but it just means I'll have to spend more money to travel to Boston or wherever. There will never be another 50K+ attendance figure for a big match. I would've liked to experience that.

2. The RFK pitch is amazing. The atmosphere (especially in these playoffs) was amazing. No more Bouncing! We don't really know what next season will bring, and it's not easy be optimistic.

3. Baseball is f'ing BORING! That's just my opinion. I still respect it as a sport, and if you're a fan in DC, you have every right to be excited about the Expos (I think). This past year, I've seen more soccer (live and on the telly) than I've seen in my other 27 years combined. It is the GREATEST sport in the world! I've even become a little bored watching college football because of all the non-action between plays, during timeouts, etc.

4. 4-time MLS Champs get no respect. "Congrats, United. For your accomplishments, we will now put a baseball diamond on your beautiful pitch. And to you, faithful supporters, we're taking away those annoying bouncing seats." That SSS better get here quick, and it better be s*** Hot! :mad:

By the way, send Mr. Payne (sweeper@mlsnet.com) your questions for the 11am chat tomorrow (Tuesday) Payne to chat with fans on Tuesday

17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Over my dead body.

18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Fixed your post.

19. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'll go, we'll see

I may go sometime during the season if I feel like it, and have nothing else to do, and have a few bucks to blow. (Heck, I was once Senators fan.)

I don't understand the hatred of BB. But then I don't understand the problem people have with soccer.

It seems obvious to me that you like some things, but not so obvious why you need to dislike something you know little about.

I think it's more a difference between people. Some are easy going, take-it-or-leave it types, while others need to flame away. Whatever floats your boat.

20. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Maybe I'll go, we'll see

Youz guyz might want might want to get over thinking baseball is boring. Unfortunately for y'all more people than not in this country disagree with that sentiment, which is why your team with it's great atmosphere, organization and fan base is essentially getting the boot. That's pretty much the bottom line, so calling it boring as if that's persuasive to anything is kind of a non-starter.

21. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

I'll probably go to some games. In fact, I've thought about getting a partial season ticket plan, but with 18 DCU games already on my schedule, I doubt I'll have time for all that.

I just hope an infield solution can be found.

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think anyone here is doing that. IOW, I don't think anyone here is saying "baseball is boring, and that's why the city should do how I want/there shouldn't be a team/there shouldn't be baseball/I should be made King/whatever." They're simply saying "I won't be going to games because I think baseball is boring." Nothing wrong with that.

23. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Just because (for me, at least) I dislike the idea of baseball in DC doesnt mean I dont know anything about baseball. Im not opposed to baseball in general and its quite probable that Ill go up to camden yards this spring and catch a game. The point is, Im not for it in this city at this time under these 'terms' (and by terms I mean baseball blackmailing DC into a terrible financial move)

24. snbdrenzo

snbdrenzo Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I would rather drive to baltimore to see the O's.

25. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Well they're also wrong as hell. Baseball is the most perfect sport ever. It's absolute perfect, there's no other argument to be made. Soccer is an amazing game with amazing passion, but it's no baseball. And with that, I'm out.