National Team schedule helps the Beat [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Poachin_Goalz, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Coach Heinrichs has apparently called in Mia, Cindy and Brianna for the friendly against Nigeria. This is apparently scheduled to be a double header with the Washington/Beat game. It looks like the Beat may be facing the Freedom without Mia. With our depth, we can overcome losing Cindy. I just hope that we don't miss Bri too much.

2. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    I personally think we will be fine. The Beat, in my opinion, have the best back-up GK in Melanie Wilson. She's obviously going to have many opportunities this season with Scurry winning her starting role back with the USWNT. I think it's a great opportunity for her and I'm excited to see her play. Her kicking game is awesome. I feel our depth is beyond any team out there. We'll still have 9 other starters and lots of talent to fill in for Parlow. My bet's on the Beat!!

3. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    I agree. Melanie does well. She's had a couple of awkward moments when she came in suddenly for an injured Bri with no warm up and a sticky situation. But she'll do fine, and I agree that we are now rich in forwards. We'll whup Washington's butt!!

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Remember last year in a similar situation Beene played both games.

Bri could do the same. Field players cannot play two back to back games, even if their conditioning might allow it the injury risk is MUCH too high but GKs can as they do not have as much physical strain from the game.

Mental strain yes physical no.

If Melanie does play we really do not loose a lot. She could easily be a starter with many of the WUSA teams.

In fact it might be a good move for Stone to use Melanie even if Bri is available, play in a meaningful game, before what should be a large crowd, is an experience that is invaluable for player development and no egos will be bruised if Melanie plays.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Wouldn't it be possible that Thomas, Gabby, and Heinrichs have an "agreement" of some sort that would allow the NT'ers to only play in the first half of the Nigeria game and thus allowing them *some* rest for the second game that day? As everyone is well aware Mia was used as a super-sub last season. She could very well play that role in the Beat game.

I have a feeling Abigail won't make the roster.

6. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing Briana to the national team is all good. We have the best back up in the league. Mel could easily start for most teams in the league. thank you that is my standing up for Melanie for the day.

7. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I did not know that FIFA allowed that. Is that just because the game is a friendly? I guess you learn something new everyday.

8. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    suksia/carly or pags/jenni

lub joo sis

9. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mel is much better then Carly, Jenni, Suckisa, and Pags allll combined!!!

10. Beat 101

Beat 101 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Atlanta
    I wouldn't doubt if there is already some kind of dealing going on to see that the National Teamers get into the game.

I would be very surprised if Mia played a full game versus Nigeria. It hurts Washington more as far as losing their marquis players. We do have a lot of depth, but our younger players don't have as much WUSA experience as the Freedom backups do.

Also, remember how we did last year versus Washington at RFK, not so well.

It will be a tough test, with or without the national teamers.

But you are correct, Melanie Wilson is a very capable backup. She could start for any other team in the WUSA, before many of the high profile starters.

11. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Yeah they won't expose Mia to a full game with those thugs. Remember how many times they took her down in the WWC?