National Leagues and National Teams' Style

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by waltlantz, Jan 26, 2013.

1. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    sorry if I sound like a noob.

So everyone knows about Barca's famous tiki taka and how it has come to define Espana. I also came across the 2012 Copa Lib final between Corinthians and Boca Juniors and saw the flamboyant almost acrobatic stylings of CBF totally emphasized in Corinthians' play.

My question simply is this....in this age of foriegners aplenty in top leagues, do you all think that there is any correspondence between a general style of league play and the corresponding country's national team?

I ask because I often hear Premiership fans wondering if their Latin pickups can acclimate themselves to the "physicality" of the league relative to probably La Liga or Serie A. But when I watch top Prem teams they seem over all more "balanced" for lack of a better word compared to the English side I remember in South Africa.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think it's a yes and vice versa ( a mutual effect)
    1- Normally a National team style would influence how their national league would be started and evolved (like Brazil to their samba play in the league, and English football implied how EPL and championship playing style.

2- In other hand, some Top clubs in the league could also directly affect the National team style since the coach would normally rely on some top players in such teams to build from. Like recently England NT started to play so much different to their traditional "English style" - influenced by some clubs like ManU, Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool = ironically a plenty of foreign players!