National Futbol League: Week 1

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by USRufnex, Sep 4, 2002.

1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Plagiarized from detroitexpress's bizarro league EXCEPT:

I figure somebody needs a nice rebuttal to pointy-ball fans who say there isn't enough scoring in soccer...

All I'll do is post the number of REAL SCORES (touchdowns) in the time it takes for a real soccer game (90 mins.)...

I don't feel like timing all the games, so thought I'd try this: since games last about 3 hours, I'd make the scores based on 3 quarters...

On any ties, I'd go to the 4th quarter score...

Doing this out of NFL spite...

Suggestions?...

Will post 1st week's results on Monday...

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i've got the shite already set up... i just haven't posted it yet... besides, this is going to get moved to the fans portion real quick

3. radiokvar

radiokvar New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    St. Louis, MO
    sounds interesting however i happen to be a rabid nfl fan as well as enjoying soccer, nfl spite not to be found here. that said, cant wait to see your comparisons except for the 3 hours you claim is actually 60 minutes of actual game time so you might want to extrapolate and base your scoring on 6 quarters... just a thought.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i happen to be a bears fan too

but i have already set up the stuff in the fan's forum

the only thing really left is to rename all the teams

and about the only thing to be really seen from this is how similar the scoring really is between the two games... it's ok to not like football, but this isn't about football bashing... just something fun and interesting to do

5. radiokvar

radiokvar New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    St. Louis, MO
    absolutely which is why im looking forward to seeing your charts

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I also am a Football fan and a Soccer fan. I want to suggest that people like football over soccer not because of the socring but rather there seems to be more exciting things happening in football. On any given play you can have huge collisions, an interception, a sack, a big run, an amazing catch, a bigtime tackle, a fumble, or a TD. Soccer is way more fluid than this. Which is why I don't think any rebuttal would help. It's just a case of what kind of action you prefer. In football, its all explosion and abrubtness. Soccer is much more fluid and more graceful, and much longer developing. I just happen to like both styles.

7. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh god, here we go again...

90 minutes does not = 60 minutes. Keep that in mind when you do your calculations. So when you determine how many "goals" the 49'ers scored last night, multiply it by 1.5 to make up for the time differences of the games.

8. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    The point of comparing points scored in the two sports is to see if the argument about soccer featuring too little scoring for spectators is accurate (compared to most American sports, certainly that argument is accurate- although thats sort of missing the point of why people watch soccer anyway- or football or baseball or hockey for that matter).

So having that in mind, shouldn't you be comparing the number of "goals" in each sport during the time that the viewer is actually expending watching it? Which would be three hours for football, not the actual 60 minutes of playing time.

So, I think comparing the scoring in 2 hours of an NFL game is the way to go.

And for the record, I love football (both kinds) and was switching back and forth between NFL and MLS on ESPN and ESPN2 last night (the wrong New York teams won and lost, unfortunately).

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i actually have all the touchdowns scored in nfl time and then converted to soccer time in an excel file... i'm waiting for bright to get hold of me to figure out how to do the goal scorers and assits (passes) and what not

a lot of this depends on how teams are done (what each nfl team becomes in the bmls world created by detroit express... brilliant idea by the way)

10. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Thank you everyone who posted on this thread
    for reminding me that its time for bed.

11. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    sarcasm alert... sarcasm alert...

Doing this out of NFL spite... :)

There: fixed my post.

Geez... touchy, touchy...
    I grew up with NFL and college football... just thought I'd point out that the scoring differences are not always as big as we'd like to think...

I still like football even if it takes up 3 hrs of my time... haven't watched an entire baseball game (other than the occasional "World Series" game) on TV in years...

6 quarters??? Oh, yeah... a FIVE HOUR GAME...

... a 90 min. NFL/college football game with no timeouts and no clock stoppages... hmmm... you do the math.

12. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This all sounds like high level math to me, which is to say I understand none of it.

So in this bizarro world, did the Cowboys do good last night?

13. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why should we do that? With all of the stoppages of time (I'm not even talking about commercial breaks here), it is too easy to get alot done in just two minutes. I'm not sure that an extra 30 minutes of soccer would compensate for all of the clock stoppages.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even in Star Trek's Mirror, Mirror world did the Cowboys do well last night...

15. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I'm confused by what I just read in the previous posts. I am not particularly enamored of football--I rarely watch it, but I'm not particularly against it. But I have done calculations to determine whether the rate of scoring in each in real time is actually much different. From beginning to end, a soccer game is about 1 hr and 45 minutes. A football game is about 3 1/2 hours. So, a soccer game takes about 1/2 as long to play then football. MLS games average about 3 goals per game. Football averages about 6 touchdowns per game. It seems pretty simple to me--both sports have about the same rate of scoring: A goal (or touchdown) every 25 minutes of real time. Granted, there are a few other ways to score points in football.

Yes, football has a lot of action bottled up into very short time periods. I just tell people that if they are bored by the times in soccer where something super exciting isn't happening, just pretend that the teams are in a huddle during that period, or that the offense is switching with the defense, etc. It all works out to be about the same. The difference in soccer is that there is nothing telling you that an exciting play is going to happen...NOW! Like in football--when the quarterback goes to snap the ball, that is the cue to start watching the game again. In soccer, it can happen at any time.