Nathan Burns at Incheon United

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by Quicky, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nathan Burns has joined AEK Athens on a four year contract.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/burns-joins-aek-athens--120610/

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Nathan Burns at AEK Athens

Lets hope he does get first team footy, and doesn't languish on the pine ala Thwaite style! ;)

3. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Impressive move. Good transfer fee for Adelaide I guess. Indeed, let's hope that he should get regular first team now. I think he team mates and the league standard, is certainly a sufficient lift from the A-League, while also being not too big a lift, that indeed, like the EPL, Serie A and elsewhere he'd be stuck in the reserves for 18 months or what have you.

4. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Impressive!! :) Better option than Turkey IMO. Possible CL football as well is a bonus for him........providing he gets gametime!

5. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Hmm yeah, but that's not to say Turkey is a bad move for Djite either. I think both in their moves have benefited themselves greatly aswell as Adelaide.

But ofcourse there are always variables. Djite's task of first team, on paper, 'should be' easier, but in saying that he needs to adjust and improve his game. He will also need to establish himself to the point and be comfortable enough, that when it does come time to move, it's on decent terms and the transition to another league is smoother. But unlike Burns, achieving regular first team in Turkey, does not necessarily increase the likelihood of attracting attention from the Big leagues. Though in Djite's case it's distinctly possible, especially in combination of him likely regularly appearing in Socceroos squads from now on.

Burns task of first team, on paper, 'may be' tougher, but it's also not unrealistic, with first team a distinct possibility, given it was even a factor in contract negotiations. If he can actually break through and play regular first team, then no doubt he'd join Djite as a Socceroos regular. And no doubt if he can do that, then logically he'd be playing at the level, where his talent will no doubt attract the likes of clubs in the Big 5 Leagues.

6. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I'm really impressed with this move. It seems like AEK have offered him a realistic chance of first team football plus he gets to learn from one of the best strikers going around in Rivaldo. Its also interesting that they push youth in their team. Considering the shortage of quality strikers that Australia has at the moment its huge that we've got Djite and Burns now playing in Europe - it can only benefit the national team. And realistically outside of Viduka, McDonald and Kennedy we don't really have any strikers playing regularly at a good level of competition.

7. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Yeah, it improves our depth greatly and unlike soo many before them, these boys are moving at the right time, after having clearly established themselves in the A-League after 2 Seasons and both are now 20, so more mature, than if they had left a season or even half a season, ago. both also join the teams at the right time, because they get to participate in the full pre-season so have an equal chance with others, unlike joining mid season in January, for instance.

In Djite's case, I think the batton has kind of informerly passed from John Aloisi to he and his move to Europe now, combined with the likely first team, should ensure he will feature regularly for our NT from now on. But it will mean John Aloisi will surely retire soon. Burns if he gets regular first team, will no doubt easily surpasse both Joel Griffiths and even Archie to be clear 2nd choice behind Scott McDonald, if even clear competition to Scott McDonald, if Burnsy is banging in the goals.

Djite will remain back up for Kennedy as he is now, but outside of Dukes, none of our striker stocks can compare to the level of football Kennedy plays.

8. oztrainspotter

oztrainspotter New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

nyet. free transfer.according to most peeps around. His recently signed 2 year deal apparently had a clause releasing him for free (probably only on the condition that he would have a certain (v high) salary in any prospective contract, this would ensure that any team that rates him highly enough - to pay him shitloads - wouldn't be further burdened by a nasty transfer fee).

9. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

Heard on this mornings radio (2KY - Andy Pascelidies....sp) that he is in the first team squad and scored a goal in a friendly in the past week.

10. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Let me quote the article from the topic's post:

"...The 20-year-old leaves his A-League club Adelaide United on a transfer fee of $500,000 plus on-sale benefits, and will start his time with the Greek giants on July 1..."

;)

11. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Cheeky :)

13. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Kalac-esque goalkeeping. lol

14. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

that is the worst goalkeeper ive ever seen!

15. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Nathan Burns still hasn't made his debut for AEK Athens yet, one of only 5 players in a squad of 30 or so not to do so. I think its time for Burns to think of moving in the transfer window probably back to the A-League. Another season with no appearances would not be good in the long run for Burns.

16. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Loan move somewhere, maybe Greek 2nd Tier or another league on the Continent, or yeah, a permanent transfer, though he hasnn't even been at the club a season, so I feel the latter is unlikely this season, UNLESS, the club releases him from his contract early, which is possible, though may have to wait til end of season. Then again he may not be released soo easily or soo soon, due to the club having paid a decent enough transfer fee for him and I think his contract was for 3+ years too, so they may not be happy to pay him out, then again on his relative wage, I doubt it'd cost them too much to do that.

Mr Burns, Holland or lol Turkey, seem to be the places to be, at the moment. Or even try Belgium or Swiss Super League?!

In hindsight, that offer he had from Norway might not have been a bad move, especially ih he were a regular first teamer by now. But then, as we've seen with David Williams in Denmark, that's no guarantee.

17. tpg1

tpg1 New Member

May 31, 2007

overnight:
    AEK Athens 2 - 1 FC Xanthi

AEK Athens Substitutions
    Nathan Burns for El-Hadji Diouf (65)

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Ok- you had me totally confused for a moment there!

Who would've thought there were two El-Hadji Diouf's? ;)

19. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Burns came on again as a substitute for AEK on the weekend, good to see he's finally getting a look in. :)

20. mec1

mec1 New Member

May 16, 2008
    Adelaide
  21. mirage861

mirage861 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
  22. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  23. jeffando

jeffando New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Re: Nathan Burns at Kerkyra

thanks,
    Keep us updated

24. Higashi

Higashi New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Sydney FC

In case anyone's been wondering, the first round of the Greek 2nd division was completed a couple of days ago. Kerkyra is currently sitting on top of the table after a 3:1 win over Olympiakos Volos. Burns played for 86 minutes. Not sure how he did.

Here's a match repot (in Greek): http://www.aokerkyra.com/gamereport.php?id=1423

Here's some photo's: http://www.aokerkyra.com/gallery.php?id=109

The third photo counting from top left to right, is particularly interesting. My guess is its about half a second before Burns got cut in half.

BTW Kerkya's next match is against Ionic on the 20th.

25. jeffando

jeffando New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Club:
    Adelaide United

thanks very much