Nate Jaqua Accused of Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by BuffloSoldier, Jul 2, 2009.

1. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ah didn't realize you were kidding about that post.

2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a direct line to God? Your statistic is unverifiable.

"They did it" is not a cut-and-dried proposition.

Stuff happens between folks. It might be both not a crime and not flattering at the same time.

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that settlements aren't about guilt or innocence. They are about math. How much will it cost to continue. What are my odds of winning.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Maybe Nate's current girlfriend (or wife or whatever) was his girlfriend then, and Nate picked the girl up and hate normal, consensual sex. That would be a problem in his current relationship.

Or suppose the girl asked him to sodomize her and pee on her in an alley. And he did it. He may not want that getting into the papers.

Suppose he paid her $200 to sodomize her and pee on her, and she agreed. Again, that's not something Nate would want getting into the papers.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should clarify this. Settlements aren't necessarily about guilt or innocence. They might be, but often they aren't. I don't think you can draw conclusions about someone's actual guilt or innocence based on a settlement.

6. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are two hilariously sad possibilities. I LOL'd then cried.

7. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

Honestly, the whole "then he peed on me" thing just seems like an attempt by this woman to sensationalize her story. I find it extremely hard to take seriously as something that might have happened.

If Nate were to settle this case, I know I would see it as an admission of guilt. If someone makes a preposterous claim about you and instead of denying it, you just give them a bunch of your money, that's not going to look good.

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been sued. I did nothing wrong. I'm sure we would have won. We settled because settling made the suit go away, and saved a ton of money in lawyers fees. Heck, our lawyer flat-out told me that it was a silly suit and the only people that would benefit from it were all the lawyers involved.

Of course, my settlement didn't include money, but concessions, but the point is the same - it was a financial decision. I (and the other dependents) would have much preferred to fight such a frivolous lawsuit on principal, but principal isn't how the world works.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although, sounds like Jaqua's family has the money to fight the suit on principle if they wanted to.

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, my guess is you were not being sued for rape and being a sexual pervert. I think the vast majority of people would fight such allegations tooth and nail if they were innocent of such charges. I would rather be broke and have my honor and reptutation intact, then save some money and have people think I was guilty of those crimes.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. Fight the allegations and you've got daily news reports during the trial about every little thing people say while up on the stand. By the end of it, even if the case is ruled in your favor you've been dragged through the mud so much many people will believe you did it anyways. Settle it and slap a confidentiality agreement on the settlement and the settlement gets a single day of press (if that) and disappears.

12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever you say, pervert. :p

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't we all? :)

14. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes you are 100% correct. I am in the real-estate business. I had a woman who when she moved out carved a gash in my hardwood floors and broke off the refrigerator door handle as she moved her couch out.. So I deducted $270 bucks off her $750 rent deposit.. BUT since I gave it to her after the 60 days she sent me a letter from her attorney asking for double the security deposit plus court fees which came out to about 3200 bucks. I was so furious I called my attorney up and said I want to open up on her with both barrels he reminded me he would need a 2000 dollar retainer and that when all is said and done would probably cost me about 5-7 to accomplish what I wanted to do.. So I with my pride in my nutsack, I cut a check for the $3,200 dollars to settle with her.

Revenge was sweet though as I did see her at the Cubby Bear about 6 months later and walked right up to her and dumped a full glass of beeer all over her and pretended that i was pissed that she cheated when we dated (a complete lie) and that I used to bone the shit out of her when she lived in my building and loved it when I would sneak into her unit and night and pretended we played sleepy bang bang.. HA HA HA.. Yup I'm that guy.

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I'm really glad I don't live in America.

16. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too.

Oh wait...