Nate Jaqua Accused of Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by BuffloSoldier, Jul 2, 2009.

1. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well i think it depends on where it's being filed but this is an odd case given the defendants.

Now if this happens 2 years ago and was reported to the authorities wouldn't MLS know about it?

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Denny Crane?

3. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief! Jaqua finanally got accused of sexual assault after winning the Player of the Week. This is another making of Freddy Montero sexual assault case.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, he's undefeated.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You mean the lone paralegal they throw this to because everyone else in the AEG legal department is up to their elbows in Michael Jackson related litigation?

6. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No, Oregon law is all that applies here.

7. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yea MLS or Nate Jaqua would have to countersue.

8. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i'm sorry, but this is driving me crazy.
    you've said "rather or not" several times and it makes no sense. The expression is "whether or not".

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice lead from KOMO News:

How many others have there been, exactly?

Sometimes I wish we could keep the newspapers and it was the TV and radio news that would die.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the fact that she apparently didn't report it to the police 2 years ago doesn't necessarily make it false.

It just makes her case hard to prove.

We'd probably be better off.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait...I can top the KOMO lead:

Rape Allegations: Another Side Effect of Big Soccer?

(Note it's "Big Soccer," not "Bigsoccer," but the point I think the moron blogger is trying to make is, "See, this is what happens when soccer gets too much publicity - players allegedly rape college students two years before your region gets an MLS expansion team.")

12. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    "Four billion divided by six.....at least...."

13. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    But that's the thing if she didn't report it to police and they do their investigation and collect any evidence and what not. How does she have any evidence to support her case that's where I'm really wondering.

14. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    MLS was brought in for negotiating purposes, they may throw $15 or $50k her way and she may take it, just so they can get out of the case.

I would like to hear Nate's side of the story, sounds like it will be a "he said, she said" situation. The only part that stinks to me is that the allegations are a bit much, unless she claims later that she was drugged or so drunk she could not have consented.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Moderator Warning

I've had to do more moderation of this thread than most, and several posts have been binned and infractions given already.

If you are too clueless to figure out what's appropriate and what's not, let's keep this simple--this is not the thread to try out your humor chops. Let's keep the comments substantive, as many of you (hopefully pretty much everyone whose posts are still here) have been able to do.

2 people repped this.
  16. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a legal expert, nor am I assigning blame to either party. But I think the chances of this case going to trial are about 1 in a bagillion. The league + Jaqua will throw 75k-100k at her, and the plantiff probably knows how hard it will be to win this case.

So this will probably go away within a week.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I doubt jaqua is in any legal trouble. The person filing the lawsuit is probably looking for a quick payout.

Most lawyers wouldn't take a case like this only ones that only care about making money would.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How true.....

20. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Does the league really want to make a settlement in a sexual assault case? It could be interpreted as an admission of guilt.

21. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is a civil case not a criminal case. It has nothing to do with the person is guilty or not. Even if this goes to court and the defense finds that this is bogus claims. It'll be cheaper just to settle for both sides of the case.

IMO it'll probably get tossed due to lack of evidence.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could also be interpreted as an expeditious solution to a potentially drawn-out and messy situation, as are many litigations that are settled before reaching a courtroom. When someone has brought a case like this, unless it's so obviously and easily disprovable (and none of us has any idea on that yet) that it never goes anywhere, you're looking at a potential no-win situation. Ugly any way it happens unless the alleged victim recants publicly.

23. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been reading up on this and I found out that Nate's grandfather is one of the founding board members of NIKE. I read somewhere that his grandfather just passed away. http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/soccer/2009/06/03/ianni_starts_graham_celebrates_jaqua_mou
    http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-6155281/Soccer-pro-plots-his-next.html
    found another article
    http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/16500132-41/story.csp I am glad that this newspaper had the guts to name the accuser.

24. Mike Gray

Mike Gray BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole "lawsuit" stinks of phony baloney. What's a 19 year old girl doing at a bar, anyway? Unless you're scoping out a real crapper of a dive bar, college bars are stricter than most places when it comes to ID.

Just speculating of course...it's important to give respect to the victim and her 10 million dollar lawsuit.

25. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    And Jaqua will be perceived to be guilty by many for the payout.

Not to mention it opens the floodgates for any and all to sue MLS players and pick up their $100K, as well. People can just start making stuff up left and right, with no more proof than she has, and get rewarded for it. Some system.