NASL thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by detroitexpress, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks for sharing this link Falvo!

What I do like is the salary cap and the spending limit for the "Beckham Rule" player for each team. Live and learn from mistakes (NASL) and I credit MLS for their $ control.

This is an excellent direction for MLS. I just wonder what all of those MLS fans (Who have come into this thread and others) think after they have ripped the NASL for doing the same thing over 20 years ago by bringing in players at the tail end of their careers. This is what I see happening as the limit of spending for the "Beckham Rule" player probably won't be attracting young, in their prime players as the article mentions.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey no problem! Anyway, I seriously doubt a lot of those "other fans" you mention ever really saw an NASL match or for that matter, were even born yet. Its easy to rip something when they know absolutely nothing about it.

Again I want to state that if it weren't' for the NASL, there probably would not have been mainstream soccer played in this country, there wouldn't have been much of a national team program, a World Cup in this country or for that matter, an MLS. As the article in Four Four Two stated last January, the NASL a failure, no more like a legacy.

3. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    This is by far the best thread on big soccer.

For the Dutch contingent, how about Wim Van Hanagan who played with the Sting.

Also, the reason that the NASL folded was due to an anti soccer conspiracy in the US.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Or what about Dutch national team sweeper Wim Suurbier who played in the 74 & 78 World Cups Final matches against W. GMY & Aregentina? He played for LA & SJ. A world class defender who very few could beat.

5. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Everyone thinks that NASL players were washups. That is totally wrong. Many players went back to Europe or other countries and played competitively for some more years.

Was Beckenbauer washed up when he was in the NASL. How about Bogicevic? The list goes on and on.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Franz went back to play for Hamburg and so did Dick Advocat. I remember Dick coming back to play with a Dutch team against the Quakes in 1982 in an exhibition at Spartan Stadium and Tony Crescitelli scored for the Quakes. It was offside but the ref thought the NASL instilled 35 yard line was being used so the goal supposedly stood up.I think Peter Nogly came in his prime from Hamburg to play for the Edmonton Drillers. Ruud Krol actually left Vanvcouver & went back to play for Napoli in the pre Maradona years. I think he was praised for his play at Napoli.

7. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Falvo,
    Exactly, what is funny about Advocaat is that he looks about the same now as he did back then. He was bald back in the seventies. Great player who had a lot of hustle.

I forgot about Krol.

How about Johan Neeskens, or did someone mention him already.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its funny how Neeskens was a far better player in the NASL & the world for that matter. Much better than Gus Hiddink ever was but you saw Neeskens as Hiddink's assistant coach for the Aussie's. Neeskens kept the Cosmos mid together along with Beckenbauer.

9. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    I think that this is a stretch... Trust me, no one enjoyed the NASL more than I did. However, the two main reasons the NASL folded were:

1. Owners who knew nothing about the sport and were looking to cash in on a sport that had the potential to take off. Most of the NASL owners were looking at low-medium $ risk and were looking to profit in year one. They were idiots. (Note: I credit MLS for taking greater control of their franchises. Although, I still believe MLS has too much control. The "Beckham Rule" is a step in the right direction!). The NASL needed more owners like Lee Stern. Simply put.

2. The New York Costmosts.

10. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    The best of these IMO was Peter Beardsley who left Vancouver of the NASL and starred in England for many years thereafter.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The same can be said for Vancouver Whitecap gk Bruce Grobelar who went onto to star at Liverpool.

12. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    From the New York Times:

13. Oh_Teddy_Teddy

Apr 7, 2003
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to Sanchez, didn't either Tab Ramos or Roy Wegerle have a cup of coffee with the NASL? (Not sure, just thought I had heard that).

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roy Wegerle played for the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the NASL in 1984 & for both Colorado & Tampa Bay of the MLS from 96-98.

15. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A cup of coffee and I believe rookie of the year.

16. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Also, Frank Klopas played both MLS Chicago Fire and NASL Chicago Sting.

17. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Although Klopas may have only played indoor.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I believe Frank Klopas signed for the Chicago Sting of the NASL straight out of high school, but an injury made him miss out their final outdoor season. Klopas played indoor for the Sting in the MISL for 4 seasons..

19. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Wegerle

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always like the Rowdies logo.
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    [​IMG]

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Someone posted this on the Quakes thread but I think it belongs here also.....
    [​IMG]
    From memory, Left to right standing Laurie Calloway, Mark Demling, Mike Ivanow, Mike Hewitt, don't know the blond guy?, #14 John Rowlands, Paul Child, Dr. Mayfiled-Harris? , Owner Milan Mandaric,
    sitting in the front row, from left to right Trainer Dave Oby Obeneur, , Miro Pavlovich, #19 I want to say Art Welch?,#2Buzz Demling, #8 Johnny Moore, #6????, Dave Kemp, #25 I think its Terry Weeks, #15 Ilija Mitic, Mark Liveric, #5 Gabbo Gavric

22. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
  23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He played for DC United (where he won a championship in 1997) between the Rapids and Mutiny.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey Ron do you know where exactly the Germans lived in 1979? I know Johnny Moore ,Mani Hernandez lived near or close to the Willow Glen area & I remember George Best wasliving in sheik Saratoga making $50k a year & Laurie Calloway I think was in Los Gatos I believe, but I never knew where everyone else lived. Do you know?

25. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Most of the players lived in the Oakwood Apartments on the corner of Saratoga Avenue and 280.