NASL thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by detroitexpress, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marenasapi

marenasapi New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Here is another shot at it.

1982 Tampa Bay Rowdies - Autographed. Signed by Tatu too, but he ins't in the pic

[​IMG]

2. marenasapi

marenasapi New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    thanks for the help Falvo.

Good instructions

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anytime!
    Here is a pic of the 79 Vancouver Whitecaps winning the Soccer Bowl
    [​IMG]

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Eusebio Toronto Metros 1976
    [​IMG]

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Phil Woosnam 1st commisioner of NASL
    [​IMG]

6. stagehand

stagehand New Member

Aug 21, 2004
    MLS to change name to NASL

Since we have added a Canadian team to the USA's pro league, it now only seems natural that the leagues name be changed to NASL.

Why doesn't the MLS leadership understand the sport? The US should have it's own league and Canada should have its own. This is just stupid.

7. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Looks like Dick Cecil of the Braves at Phil's side. Judging from the smile on Phil's face, this looks like the moment the contract was signed to manage the Chiefs, thus allowing Phil to realize his dream of becoming a fulltime soccer missionary & livin' in the USA. Exciting times for the players and their newfound fans.

8. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    Re: MLS to change name to NASL

...good lord...:rolleyes:

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd card it and remove it, but I want everyone to enjoy it.

I didn't realize MLS was spelled X E N O P H O B E

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  11. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Ball--MVP of Soccer Bowl '79.

BTW--my copy of Toye's book finally arrived via Amazon. I'll start digging into it tonight.

12. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this was too obvious to mention, but he was also the youngest member of Englands 1966 World Cup championship team.

13. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!!!!!:rolleyes: This has got to be one of the single most funny things I have ever read on bigsoccer. LMAO!!!!!!!

Man I have really enjoyed this thread. Brought back lots of fond memories from my childhood. I have to say, I hope MLS can, and does reproduce some of the personality, charm, and large crowds that the NASL had. MLS is pretty lacking in the personality department, although I think the supporters are more vocal now.

I loved seeing the fans back there, and hearing the announcer talk about the cheering sections giving some of the games a "european" flair. LOL! In stead of the fans holding scarves, they were holding up those triangular pennants just like you would a soccer scarf. It was kind of unique in that it was an american twist to it.

The memories are great, as are watching all the old videos and seeing the photos, but we have to remember NASL Failed for a multitude of reasons, and I think MLS's big goal is NOT go do down that same road, but to learn from NASL mistakes that lead to its ultimate failure. I think soccer is experienceing and will continue to experience a new resurgance in north america, but this time it wont happen overnight. Its going to be a longer road, but I think it will bring credibility to our game, and our love, knowlege of, and passion for the beautiful game. This time it wont be some trend, which I think it partially was more of a "curiosity" than anything back then.

This has to be one of the best threads ive read on bigsoccer. Id love to see this thread stick around a while. I think we all are enjoying the walk down memory lane, but its also important we as soccer fans in this country never forget our roots, history, both the good, and the bad. I want MLS to stick, for good, and I think the NASL's life, times, experience, and ultimate demise, can be a big part of making its successor, MLS succeed.

14. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Boo! Hiss! :)

15. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England

1) MLS leadership has been a little slow on the uptake, but they are learning.

2) Canada can have its own league when they have sufficient financial backing to do so and can make it work - it's up to the CSA, not up to MLS, to decide that. The old CSL failed, and nothing has taken its place. For the time being, MLS and USL offer a chance for Canada to get professional soccer back up and running in Canada. Instead of berating the USA you should be thanking us. Without MLS and USL, Canada would have nothing at all going on at the professional level in soccer.

16. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England

This is an unfortunate byproduct of MLS's "don't copy the NASL in any way" mentality. They avoid the mistakes NASL made, but also avoid copying the things that the NASL did right, and there were a lot of things that the NASL did right. Marketing, for starters. MLS marketing sucks. NASL - or at least certain clubs like the Cosmos, Rowdies, etc. - knew how to attract and keep the attention of the local news media and the fans. MLS single entity system does not really help MLS clubs create a local identity for themselves.
    Well, back then, in the NASL, you couldn't buy scarves. The only things you could buy at NASL games were those silly American college style pennants. We would have loved to have been able to buy club scarves.
    Right, but MLS went way, way overboard in trying to avoid the mistakes of the NASL. I think they are starting to realize that now.

17. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    God, this is painful. I had that magazine. Long gone now. I wish I had been able to keep everything I once had.

18. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have every issue. One day I might scan them all onto a DVD.

Clive's book is bringing back some memories. The NASL has personality, all right--sometimes too much. I just read the section where a team wanted to paint the grass in the penalty area a different color (making the pitch look like a WTT court) and calling it the "Bang Box." Uh...great idea, guys.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember in San Jose GM's Dick Berg & John Carbray had them paint a soccer ball in the center circle and painted the pk boxes black & red. It was funny seeing all the players running around with paint on their faces and shirts.....I remember a show in the SF Bay Area on chnl 20 called Soccer Report and they had an aerial view of a packed Spartan Stadium and it was real cool seeing the painted pitch.

20. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the ball lamp...I think it was the Cosmos star ball...ahh the memories

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cosmos_1 1977 - one of New York's ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    found it!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

23. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...I have one of those skeds, but never gave any thought to the coloring until now. Unreal...

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1975 San Jose EarthQuakes
    [​IMG]

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From my friend Ron in the other thread....
    A picture of of former Quakes NASL & MLS GM Johnny Moore & PELE in and exhibition match at Spartan Stadium in August 1975....
    In the back ground is a glimpse of Mark(Mirko) Liveric who came to San Jose for the 1976 season...

The wee man!
    [​IMG]

Here is are some cartoon pics of Buzz Demling & Paul Child of the SJ Earthquakes of the late 1970's.
    [​IMG][​IMG]