NASL & the Americas Champions League

Discussion in 'NASL' started by DanGerman, Dec 15, 2015.

1. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva has said he's received pledges of support from some of the top clubs in South America

2. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he gets the sponsorship money he absolutely could have that influence.

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where this circular argument goes. I'm saying he does not get that money from anyone without strong commitment from the clubs/countries to make this a serious tournament. If the clubs/countries are committed to this, they could/could have launched this already and earned that money. Silva is a big player, but hardly brings enough value imo.

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you hear that? From Silva's leak or from "the top clubs in South America"?

5. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jo...d-Attractions/Americas-Champions-League.aspx?

"While there is no set timetable for the launch of such a tournament, Silva says work already has started. MP & Silva has consulted and met with many of the largest clubs in South America and has received pledges of support, including from Corinthians and Flamengo, as well as many of the other top-tier clubs in Brazil and Uruguay. The firm also has met with South American broadcasters about the idea."

6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Interesting idea.

Where would that insane amount of [prize] money come from?

7. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the TV/Marketing rights.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    dinamo_zagreb's point is well taken. Why would the TV/Marketing rights for such an event be worth anything since there is no solid evidence that anyone wants to watch such a tournament.

oknazevad and dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  9. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to disagree with you there, you don't think anyone would want to watch LA Galaxy vs Boca Juniors? Or Dallas vs Corinthians? I think there is definitely a sizable viewing audience for that.

10. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Not really. The biggest potential matchups here in the stated (imo) would be teams like Club America and Chivas against the same SA teams and such matchups would work well for awhile. In the end, I think the high end a competition like this would be something like SuperLiga if it worked out at all.

11. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to have to disagree here, I think there is definitely a market here who would want to see it.

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....are you thinking like a casual fan, or a hardcore fan?

Always something one should ask themselves when convinced there are fans/markets/ratings to be had with regards to soccer here.

History has shown that ouside of really big events, super big names, or large local foreign support, these things don't work here.

Flamengo fans aren't watching or supporting Inter fans, or vice versa....and they also have to believe it is a legit tourney also.

MLS fans have also shown very sporadic care with regards to these events....ley alone following on TV.

The money here, big money, comes with the big Mex teams and TV....not SA teams. It's why they let Mex teams in SA events....not comp....their money.

Overestimating the allure of teams that hardcores think matter has been at the base of failure for many a soccer venture here.

13. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure is a market for that game but not at the level at which you may think. There's no way this thing replaces Copa Libertadores or the CCL so you then have to contend with those teams playing B or possibly C teams since they'll have their own league games AND CL and possibly also Copa Sudamerica as well. I simply don't see this tournament being anything else then a glorified friendly tournament.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The main thing to remember is that we as fans would love to see something like this. It really is intriguing.

However, people need to understand just why these clubs from SA said sure...why not?

They need our money. That's it. Same reason Mex teams were allowed to compete in SA. Thier money!
    No other reason.

These clubs in general are poorly run, corrupt, in debt, have crappy facilities (unless you are inhabiting one of the white elephants from the WC) and desperately need cash!!!!

This is where "the fan" clashes with business reality. Believe it or not, they need us more than we need them. The gap is more narrow than most can comprehend or imagine because of fandom, and wanting a piece of that history to "legitimize" us Yanks.

When the new MLS contract expires, and the expected bump comes with it, the leagues power to purchase and promote will probably be greater than any SA team. That is not an exaggeration....and I mean across virtually the whole league. If these teams can't bring big ratings, like Mex giants here, what's the point? Hell, MLS is starting to make real inroads on Mex television itself ratings wise. We are doing fine and they know it.

Then what happens with Con and CCAF brass if this this looks to have legs? The CCAF CL came about because Mex and US teams started SLiga and they weren't gonna be cut out.

These politicos sure as hell aren't gonna let that happen with a tourney like this...that is for certain.

If they can't be cut in big time, with all feds, they will torpedo this by not sanctioning it. To make it work the amount of money and commitment needed would be huge. Many are getting their beaks wet off of certain tourneys and procedures already....they ain't chaging anything or will be giving up anything unless their cut is considerable....and there will be a lot of hands being held out.

The more you look at this the more daunting it becomes....in almost every way. As a fan...sure, it's great, but otherwise?

DanGerman repped this.
  15. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm only one person, but I am a hardcore fan and I have no interest in this. It seems like a larger version of the exhibition "tournaments" they run ever summer in the US with MLS + Euro teams. Those are mostly annoying but we live with it because the teams can fleece the fans who are desperate to see the big Euro names. Who's going to pay $200 a seat to see Boca Juniors?

And either it will be in the off-season so the Galaxy won't be able to effectively compete or it will be during the season which just adds to fixture congestion.

Matthew Johnson repped this.
  16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If this tournament comes to pass I hope every MLS team participates in it except DC United.

FoxBoro 143 and Zoidberg repped this.
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, no one has ever moved up from the D2 level. They've all been stuck there.

*Berth.

Zamphyr and Antique repped this.
  18. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, I guess since Montreal didn't "qualify to the top flight", technically they didn't move up. They retreated from D2 and then...moved onward? Stepped forward?

Since you brought it up....

:giggle:

19. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sarcasm always adds a lot to the conversation :rolleyes:. My point is that I could have the best team in terms of quality of play in America and not qualify for D1.

20. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    When used to point out inaccurate statements and incorrect grammar, yes it does.

That’s a completely subjective statement that can’t be quantified. Assuming you ‘could’ have that team, by what measurement do you determine that said team is the best in terms of quality of play in America not in D1? That would make it better in quality of play than American teams already in D1 also. How would you prove that?

Do the Canadian teams in both leagues not count?

Finishing first in D2 makes you the best team in D2. That’s all it means. Teams don't "qualify" for D1 in North America based on results.

21. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Likewise by what measurement do you determine that a D1 team is the best in terms of quality of play in America? How do you prove a D1 team is actually better than a D2 team?

USAsports6 repped this.
  22. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point. D2/D1 isn't an indicator of how good of a team a club is fielding (though obviously it mostly works out that way). I'm simply pointing out D1/D2 is different here than in most other countries where the best teams are put in D1 based on their results not the size of their stadium or how many people are in their metro area.

23. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best quality club in the US would be able to win the US Open Cup and it would not matter what division they are in.

Matthew Johnson repped this.
  24. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's pretty obvious the best club doesn't win the US Open Cup every year.

bnyc repped this.
  25. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Not really, but it is the best measure we have in place. Therefore it really is only logical that we don't give automatic bids to a single league, but use only the US Open Cup, or similar tourney, as a measuring stick.

*Single elimination is not a good measure of who is actually better. As well adding different teams at different phases based solely on league does not help the case at all.

USAsports6 repped this.