NASL is no longer considering suing US Soccer for anti-trust over division 1 status

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gstommylee, Sep 21, 2016.

1. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    What do you expect from a league with strong ties to Traffic Sports, as well as the corruption ties with NYCosmos ownership as well?

JasonMa, Bill Archer and Sempuukyaku repped this.
  2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four words...

New. York. Cosmos.

(again)

El Naranja, JasonMa, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was a bad idea from the start. As far as I'm concerned, there will always be only one NASL & one NY Cosmos! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Len, BrianLBI, jayd8888 and 3 others repped this.
  4. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and trying to compete with MLS when they couldn't even average half of what they average.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They can't just merge. The two leagues are organized completely differently. USL, the league, is owned by NuRock Soccer Holdings. The teams pay for franchise rights but only have a limited amount of say in how the league is run. NASL is owned by the teams and other investors. The teams effectively run the league. The NASL teams could apply for membership in USL but they can't "merge."

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well whatever you want to call it. I seem to recall former MISL teams going to the NPSL back around 1992/93 just by changing their team names. I'm sure things can be worked out and anyway there won't be many other choices if the NASL folds....

7. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    The name... Cosmos.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep. There were only 4 inter-conference regular season games in all of USL this year:

St. Louis @ Louisville, Louisville @ St. Louis
    Cincinnati @ St. Louis, St. Louis @ Cincinnati

That was it. St. Louis who moved from the East in 2015 to the West in 2016 got to keep playing Louisville and Cincinnati.

Sachsen, AndyMead, Ismitje and 3 others repped this.
  9. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! It doesn't matter, because next year, NEXT YEAR, will be the year the Cosmos finally wins the US Open Cup and gains entry to the CCL. Then it's a victory, off to the Club World Cup and world champion status! MLS will be groveling to accept them then! It's all going according to plan! Just taking a little longer than expected, that's all...

(Seriously, that was, like, their plan for hitting the big time out of the 2nd division.)

------RM

10. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but notice that the NASL is hitting a wall at about the same age as MLS was when it nearly fell into the abyss. What's interesting is that the J-League and A-League had severe issues at just about the same age. It seems that if you start a new soccer league, you're going to hit a financial hill about 5-7 years in, and you'll either make it over it and survive for the long term, or fail and die.

------RM

(TxT), jaykoz3, Ismitje and 7 others repped this.
  11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    So who will be the NASL's Anschutz? Or Garber?

12. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think they already had their Garber his name was David Downs and if they had done what he had planned they'd be in much better shape now, but you know he was about creating a stable and healthy D2 not about competing with MLS.

AndyMead repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly was the plan.

The problem was that in order to pull it off they were going to have to put together a team which is better than any MLS or Liga MX team so they'd have a legit shot at winning the CCL.

Not impossible but it would cost a lot of money, particularly since you have to pay extra to get stars to come play for a second div team.

And then what? A team that good would run away with the NASL. No point in even showing up. Which doesn't sell tix, doesn't fill stadiums, doesn't do jack for anybody.

Except cost a fortune.

So you have a $25 million roster in div 2 which means you're losing what, $20 million a year?

It was always one of those " we didn't think this through" deals and finally morphed into a fantasy about MLS being "forced" by the media and fans to take them in on their own terms.

When it became clear that that was NEVER going to happen, the whole enterprise was exposed as basically making no sense whatsoever.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm sure there's a connection with regard to the general time frame by when such an investment has established trend lines to suggest whether it will sink or swim, but otherwise the conditions facing NASL are decidedly different from the three other leagues you mentioned. Mainly with regards to peer status and exposure within their national markets, where NASL was the only one that came on the scene as a decided minor league.

I think DanGerman is right in saying that the league faltered when the newcomers changed the league's focus and direction. Obviously there is a market for minor league soccer and only a select few people might want to see any of these franchises actually die, but sports leagues are insular, niche economies and as consumers it appears fans weren't happy with NASL's politicking. Who knows how different it would be if they had indeed simply tried to settle in as the best damn DII possible.

AndyMead, LordRobin, billf and 2 others repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd say they also had a Plan B with regards to the vision for a stadium. Thinking that if they happen to beat NYCFC to the punch in securing a solid facility, get the locals on board to match, say, Cincy FC's current enthusiasm and suddenly the brand has at least more cachet then we're joking about here. Maybe that helps pull more of NASL up, maybe that gives them a shot at the resources they need for Plan A. Maybe they were caught off guard with how quickly the NYCFC scenario came about.

Regardless, their direction since then has been rather shambolic and now they can't much argue against their prospective fate. I'm old enough to have attended some original Cosmos games and still appreciate the brand, especially compared to Team Energy Drink and Team Manchester Dhabi, but as far as owners go these guys aren't advancing soccer in the US.

For the good of the game in the US, let's put this saga behind us and get to a structure that allows us to focus in building the players and leagues.

jaykoz3, Baysider, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This absolutely caught them off guard, honestly caught everyone off guard. I still remember people on these boards claiming that NYCFC would be a disaster ( how can you put a team in NYC when locals hardly support RBNY) but I remember seeing the marketing and seeing how hard they came after the locals. After about the second month of the season last year I realized that the Cosmos would be irrelevant unless they got the Belmont stadium and that honestly was a long shot at best.

falvo repped this.
  17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, Tulsa sucks

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're like, the worst

billf repped this.
  19. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Along with the fact they've done a great job marketing NYCFC. Cosmos probably thought the name would sell itself, but it's not the brand that matters, it's how you market the brand.

20. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their overvaluation of the Cosmos name is kinda the root of all their problems, I just hope they stick around and not fold the team although I'm concerned they'll just fold it and try and sell the brand for the highest dollar possible.

The Franchise repped this.
  21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brand with value that declines every year as the old Cosmos are forgotten and current teams continue to press into public consciousness. Really, does anyone think "New York Cosmos" brand has value approaching that of "Los Angeles Galaxy"? The rights aren't worthless, because an improbable third NY team or maybe a buyer of NYRB may want something with inherent value, but it's not what some assumed it would be.

22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though they did draw a small group of delusional fanboys who were convinced that Sebastian Guenzatti was a MLS Best XI level player, and that Guenzatti's Uruguayan 2nd division pedigree was a level that MLS didn't have enough cachet to get.

23. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    These guys on an Edmonton Soccer podcast brought up a interesting point.

With CSA(Canadian Soccer Association) being so pissy about independent Canadian teams being in USL, Does Ottawa Fury, or Edmonton, even get scantioned to even join the USL. Coupled with the fact that the CSA wants to try and pull together a league of their own in a year or two, would USL want them if there's a possibility they're bolting for another league in 1-2 years.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one cares what the CSA thinks

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe they brought this up, I don't have time to listen to the podcast, but here would be my rationale the other way.

If the USL gets certified as a Division 2 league in the U.S. then that removes the official CSA opposition. Canadian teams are allowed to be in D2 U.S. leagues, just not D3. If the NASL goes away, then the CSA would surely want Ottawa and Edmonton to stay active in preparation for the new Canadian league if possible.

It is hard to imagine the USL turning them down. One year could turn into several or forever based on past experiences in trying to start a Canada-wide league.