NASL is no longer considering suing US Soccer for anti-trust over division 1 status

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gstommylee, Sep 21, 2016.

1. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Carolina and Indy make perfect sense for USL given their proximity to other nearby USL teams and their good fan bases.

Actually, if you assume those two are also ready to jump along with the rumored Tampa Bay and Ottawa departures, that means the top five best attended NASL teams would not be in the league next season. Three of those (Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Ottawa) are the only NASL teams to post attendance gains this season (Minnesota is marginally off). That's crippling no matter how you try to spin it.

2. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What we do know is that all the comedy NASL fan boys will be blaming MLS for everything when that league does eventually fold. They will be insisting the NASL "only" failed because they were "unfairly" labelled a division 2 league. Nothing to with lack of investment or overpaying 40 year old Spanish has-beens and some frankly laughable ownership groups. Nope, nothing to do with that.

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure they did. It was a PR stunt. If anyone really thinks the nasl had the means to actually do that, then I have a team to sell. The letter was over a set of proposed standards that were never even considered by the ussf.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect there are a lot of people that were considering suing USSF, that aren't going to, these days

AndyMead, Editor In Chimp and xtomx repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 Bill Archer, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    As always, the amusing team to speculate on is the NeoCosmos.

They have enough trouble trying to explain why they're in a Second Division league (MLS/USSF conspiracy). Let's see what they come up with to explain being Third Division.

And if, as appears likely despite the protestations of the increasingly deranged-sounding Bill Peterson who swears he's got upwards of 40 (40!!!!) investors ready and willing to plunk down five million dollars to join his flatlining league, the NASL ceases to exist, what then for the Moes?

Particularly now that they're a) struggling to paper the house enough to hit attendance of 4000 and b) apparently going to play next season in a minor league baseball stadium. The Belmont project is as dead as Julius Caesar; New York State is just not convinced the Cosmos are a viable concern.

What would you pay to be in the room when they make a presentation to the USL board on letting them into USL?

And what would USL say? "In addition to the five million dollars, we want you to sing 'I'm a little teapot" please"
    NASL will be lucky if they have six teams to start next season

6. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The NASL fanboys were just pro/rel zealots. None of them gave a bleep about the league and never watched any games. Guys like Ted only fanboyed Bill Peterson and the NASL when they thumbed their nose at MLS. Now that it is all crashing down, they are quickly jumping off the sinking NASL ship like a bunch of rats. They will find some other cause to prop up in the future.

Actual fans of NASL teams know it is likely over and just want to know where their team will play in the coming years. At least the ones that aren't basically dead like Rayo and the Strikers.

7. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    better yet bashed MLS non stop over NYCFC but were completely silent over Rayo OKC

8. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    If NASL does go under I hope to see the valuable assets move to USL. Then I would like to see the USL split into a DII and DIII with MLS II teams staying in DIII. I know how much it matters what I hope for :)

superdave and GunnerJacket repped this.
  9. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't believe what I was reading when some of the NASL crazies on a local NYC sports blog posted things like "I don't like it but its a good move", REALLY!?! NYCFC is a "joke" but Rayo OKC with its Chivas USA like stench is cool?

LordRobin and Ed NYC Firm repped this.
  10. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The whole point of MLS coming to an agreement with the USL was that the MLS Reserve League wasn't working. They wanted young players to face more experienced pros in a competitive environment. That is what they felt was best for player development. Making D3 the new MLS Reserve League doesn't really meet those goals.

11. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I never said only MLS II teams being DIII. I would envision other teams also staying in DIII.
    My personal opinion is it would be really dumb to have MLS II teams just one division below MLS. Those teams are much lower quality from MLS than just one division IMO.

12. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    And the NASL has only ever paid lip service to pro-rel. Remember when the NPSL made some noise about partnering with NASL, and the NASL immediately shot it down?

Ted and company always shrugged it off by insisting pro/rel was something USSF had to impose, so NASL was powerless to do it themselves. That's not how it evolved elsewhere, and USISL did some pro/rel experiments several years ago without USSF ordering them to do so, but whatever.

I think one major issue is USSF's insistence that these divisions need to be national. How much more affordable, and how much more fun, would it be to have regional D2 and D3? How many more clubs could participate if they knew they were traveling about four hours by bus instead of six hours by plane? And a "Northeast League" trophy makes more sense than a "Champion of the League That Is National But Isn't Division 1" trophy. (You could still have a League Cup for lower divisions if you like.)

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FWIW, I think the increasing number of MLS reserve sides and the development of more bona fide academies for these teams has increased the potential return from a reserve league. Much like the parent league, the calibre of play is much improved and will continue to get better based on the investment we're seeing. Plus the shear volume of teams across the board may make housing them all under a single division untenable, depending on they attempt to structure league play.

Plus, if a DII USL gains traction and appeal the independent owners may find stronger appeal personally in distancing themselves from the MLS reserves. Granted, this assumes the USL avoids the mistakes of NASL and that we continue to see growth and support, but it's not hard to imagine that several owners embracing DII status would like to see that placed above the horde of MLS-supplemented reserves.

It's at least more plausible an idea now than a few years ago.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Looks to me like MLS2 teams are pretty comparable to the other USL teams. They are well distributed in the standings. Especially when you consider that several of them are 1st or 2nd year teams.

Current USL standings with 1 week to go:
    MLS2 teams in RED

STANDINGS
    EAST
    1. NY Red Bulls II 29 g.p. 66 pts +39 g.d.
    2. Louisville City 29 g.p. 59 pts +25 g.d.
    3. FC Cincinnati 29 g.p. 53 pts +13 g.d.
    4. Charlotte Independence 29 g.p. 49 pts +19 g.d.
    5. Charleston Battery 29 g.p. 48 pts +6 g.d.
    6. Rochester Rhinos 29 g.p. 48 pts +12 g.d.
    7. Richmond Kickers 29 g.p. 45 pts +9 g.d.
    8. Orlando City B 29 g.p. 32 pts -16 g.d.
    --------------------------
    9. Wilmington Hammerheads 29 g.p. 31 pts -12 g.d.
    10. Harrisburg City Islanders 29 g.p. 28 pts -19 g.d.
    11. Bethlehem Steel 29 g.p. 28 pts -9 g.d.
    12. Toronto FC II 29 g.p. 26 pts -21 g.d.
    13. Pittsburgh Riverhounds 29 g.p. 25 pts -18 g.d.
    14. FC Montreal 29 g.p. 23 pts -20 g.d.

WEST
    1. Co. Springs Switchbacks 29 g.p. 49 pts +14 g.d.
    2. Sacramento Republic 29 g.p. 49 pts +12 g.d.
    3. Rio Grande Valley 29 g.p. 48 pts +20 g.d.
    4. LA Galaxy II 29 g.p. 44 pts +8 g.d.
    5. Swope Park Rangers 28 g.p. 42 pts +5 g.d.
    6. Vancouver Whitecaps 2 29 g.p. 42 pts -1 g.d.
    7. OKC Energy 28 g.p. 42 pts +3 g.d.
    8. San Antonio FC 29 g.p. 38 pts +3 g.d.
    ----------------------------------
    9. Portland Timbers 2 29 g.p. 37 pts -5 g.d.
    10. Orange County Blues 29 g.p. 37 pts -6 g.d.
    11. Real Monarchs SLC 29 g.p. 36 pts -8 g.d.
    12. Seattle Sounders 2 29 g.p. 35 pts -13 g.d.
    13. Arizona United 29 g.p. 34 pts -5 g.d.
    14. Saint Louis FC 29 g.p. 33 pts -2 g.d.
    15. Tulsa Roughnecks 28 g.p. 19 pts -33 g.d.

15. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    This
    There are currently 29 teams in USL with 3 new ones slated. If several NASL teams were to move to USL there would be over 35 teams pretty quick. I just feel like that is a lot of teams for a DII league. Just an opinion.

16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it currently is, USL is more two leagues than one. Interconference play is very limited, and only done by the teams in the middle of the country to play more regional games. West and East Coast teams only play in the finals. This is ideal for minor league soccer; there's no point separating into second and third divisions if it will once again significantly raise travel costs for everyone. I hope the NASL crisis causes USSF to understand the importance of travel cost containment for lower divisions.

flange, AndyMead, BHTC Mike and 17 others repped this.
  17. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Bird is the Word.

It's so nice not to think about this debacle.

triplet1, Bill Archer and Bluecat82 repped this.
  18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Debacle" is what happened in the last 10 minutes against Ottawa Saturday night.

Possibly losing 5 teams out of 12 and replacing them with 1 has moved beyond mere debacle to full blown Dumpster Fire status...

4four4 repped this.
  19. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I expect USSF will deny NASL's request. I'll be laughing if USL becomes division II and NASL drops to division III.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They know all about "travel cost containment". They didn't just land in soccer last month after a long career in potato farming.

But until recently, what choice was there? When the USL/NASL split took place there were fewer than ten teams in each league. You can't have "regional competition" among two or three teams and call it a league or a season. They had no choice but to travel and play.

Point being, it wasn't up to USSF to tell these guys that flying a team from California or Texas to Puerto Rico costs a lot of money. If the teams wanted to do it this way, their business. When I buy something I can't afford it's not up to the store management to refuse to sell it to me.

It seems likely that the Fed was willing to let things sort themselves out. All they said was that you can't claim to be the official second division league for the US unless you can serve the whole US. If you can grab that designation and run 8 teams in New England, that doesn't do anything for the rest of the country. If you want to be the USA's second division then you have to be the USA's second division.

USL has evolved into a league with enough teams to conduct meaningful regional competition. Which I believe was always the intent.

NASL was more interested in becoming Div 1 than they ever were in developing and growing a meaningful Div 2. Their choice, but choices have consequences.

AndyMead, jaykoz3, billf and 6 others repped this.
  21. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it looks like we might soon!

what is unexpected is that its not clubs but whole Leagues! ;)

***as a note, i hope this doesn't hurt soccer in America, having NASL did push USL and certain MLS clubs at certain points. but I do remember reading a really good quote... "pride goes before a fall" and NASL leadership just seems to be too arrogant to learn from the past or pick the right battles.

Bill Archer repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ideally, they could have 4 regional leagues who only play each other. Then have a post-season tournament for the 4 winners. Semi-finals, and then the 2 winners play, and might as well let the 2 losing teams play a 3rd place game.

23. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    NASL was too focus at blaming US Soccer for screwing them instead of focusing on stability. Now the league is at the point to where it could end up collapsing.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why can't they just forget about everything and merge with the USL already? what is their main beef? If the problems are their big egos, that won't last too long.....