NASL in Hartford

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by jmdaly12, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #401 Brian in Boston, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    The same guy who was proposing the Dillon Stadium renovation and planned NASL bid that just went belly-up... James Duckett, Jr.

Incidentally, Michael Freimuth - Executive Director of the Capital Region Development Authority which oversees the XL Center - was quoted in the October 8th Hartford Business Journal as saying that a lease for the arena's use by the MASL Hartford City FC side had been "negotiated but not executed".

Hmmmmmmm... "negotiated but not executed", huh? Something tells me that Mr. Duckett is going to have to do one hell of a sales job in order to convince the CRDA that the legal and financial issues which negatively impacted his Dillon/NASL project shouldn't also put the kibosh on Hartford City FC using the XL Center as an MASL home.

Stay tuned.

2. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Poor MASL, they are now stuck in the middle of this with their season about to start.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you missed the part where I referenced the USSF would notice. Us plebes on Twitter or BS mean nothing.

4. LarryL9797

LarryL9797 New Member

May 4, 2015
    Hartford County, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Jenna Carlesso (@JNCWriter) tweeted at 7:20 PM on Tue, Oct 13, 2015:
    City council has formally withdrawn Dillon Stadium proposal

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am reminded of this quote:

"Let me see if I got this. The third story on the news tonight was that someone I didn't know thirteen years ago when I wasn't president participated in a demonstration where no laws were being broken in protest of something that so many people were against, it doesn't exist anymore. Just out of curiosity, what was the fourth story?"

Let me see if I got this. A guy who hadn't been awarded an NASL franchise couldn't pull the pieces together to acquire an NASL franchise because he's a crook, and because of that, the USSF is going to notice that the NASL didn't award anyone a franchise in Hartford, Connecticut and that's going to be a big scandal.

Hill Giant, jaykoz3, oneeyedfool and 3 others repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did I say it would be a big scandal? Ever?

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, God. Get over yourself.

The word "big" is your issue?

Okay, you didn't say "big." Is that what's botherin' ya, Bunky?

You're still wrong, because the NASL didn't award them a franchise and we have zero hard evidence they were going to. USSF isn't going to investigate or hold it against them, as you (certainly, please do not try to say you weren't) intimated.

You always think the ********ing world is going to end. You're what we call a low-information voter.

8. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Prime, in your response [#391 above] you claim this is worse than OKC & VA; I don't see it. Do you have info that the NASL was imminently going to announce Hartford?

Interest in the market is very different from accepting an application to the league; and Hartford, quite noticeably, didn't make one.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should switch to decaf. I never said the world would end or even insinuated it. I believe you my old friend have lost the narrative and need to take a step back.

The USSF isn't going to investigate jack squat. But entertaining frivolous expansion cities and losing clubs isn't going help the NASL in its ongoing litigation against the USSF.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know nothing more than the few quotes from Peterson that has been referenced many times here in this thread. And as I have previously mentioned (& as everyone knows) NASL never announced them like say Virginia and OKC.

11. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
  12. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Yep.

http://shop.hartfordcityfc.com/

13. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snap up those future collector's items quick! (These are sort of like those Super Bowl championship t-shirts for the other team that are immediately destroyed or shipped off to second-hand markets in Africa as soon as the game ends.)

The One X repped this.
  14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would look dope in my Hatford City FC top with my New England Force scarf!

Sporting Real, Bluesfan and Cactus Hibs repped this.
  15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call it wishful thinking, but I believe OKC is still going to happen.

16. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I hope eventually they tell the full story of why this Anderson person partnered with Duckett in the first place. From what I read so far, Anderson had a sweet deal with the city, where the city pays him 12 mil to build a 15,000 seat stadium. Then the city was supposed to pay Anderson ~1 mil a year to manage the stadium.

That was basically a deal of a lifetime for Anderson, he would've leached taxpayer money for decades. And he had already signed that contract and was getting paid. Then he goes and partners with Duckett and offers the city a new deal where they only get 2 mil and no annual management money. Then it turns out that Duckett is a crook and Anderson is left with no contract, new one or the old one.

So Anderson basically gave up his golden goose. I guess maybe Duckett promised him mountains of money. I'd love to hear details.

The One X repped this.
  17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The book is waiting to be written....

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You try to leave but they keep pulling you back in. Good luck.

ManuSooner repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, some may not take the source seriously.

20. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I bought a T-shirt and a pair of socks from the Hartford City FC store. Yes, socks.

I'm a sick man.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they arrived yet?

:)

22. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I'm not sure which is sadder; someone tried to spoof the Hartford City FC name, or said individual(s) think they are going to run a NPSL/ASL team...

https://twitter.com/HartCityFC

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember this. Local youth club coach, apparently, who was either trying to squat or was just misguided enough to think they could either compete with or screw up what the real club had going. Of course, the real club was doing just fine screwing things up all by themselves.

For some reason, youth soccer people seem to have this strange idea that it's not a stretch for them to try their hand at pro teams and leagues.

panicfc repped this.
  24. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because they're "soccer people" and the expertise to run the sport in this country is in their DNA, if only those outsiders who know nothing about the game like Garber got out of the way.

Or their non-American accents, that too...