NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I thought about the SA situation and I do believe that was one of the turning points in the NASL/USL saga.

Many cries about how fans there would stop coming out because of the change.

Of course the fans didn't care all that much. The overwhelming majority prove time and again that this stuff isn't all that important to them....unilke the loud, emotionally challenged minority.

When the fanbase wasn't really affected all that much the "we are D2 and they aren't rants", along with the "real fans won't be MLS patsy" cries lost all meaning to most potential owners.

Business wan't compromised.....I'll go with the more stable bet. Not a surprise.

2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Silva cares about only one thing. Broadcast rights. He wants in. He doesn't care about US Soccer, the good of the game, pro/rel (unless he can use it ot cah in), anything. He is a snake. Plain and simple.

I have dealt with many in my years. He is the selfish, wall street, burn everything down, so I can get mine stereotype if there ever was one. The fact that there are people, and kids, ignorant and naive enough to believe him shows their aptitudes/youth in spades.

gunnerfan7, Cavan9, jayd8888 and 4 others repped this.
  3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    you are right, as long as nothing else happens, with this case, nothing to fear.

But the moment, one federal attorney decides to start "sniffing" with his nose in the USSF administration, it will be "government interference", which is exactly the same kind of stuff that currently had Zimbabwe, Kuwait and Indonesia, being expelled from the current WC qualifiers.

As posted before, tough days coming for fans, as it will be them the ones most affected if anything of this does happens.

In any case if it helps you in anything, FIFA is corrupt up to the core, so when it gets to all the money they might lose, they might make an exception here.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's occurred to me that a pro/rel league may be much more likely to run afoul of US antitrust laws than the current situation. That's because USSF has already shown a willingness to sanction more than one league at the same level, both by sanctioning USL and NASL as concurrent D2 leagues in the same geographic area, and by assuring the NASL that it would have to sanction two D1 leagues if both meet the D1 requirements. By contrast, a pro/rel pyramid would necessarily lock a single league into D1 status and any lower-division league splits would have to be geographic (otherwise, how do you decide which league to relegate a team into?) -- this would seem much more anticompetitive than the status quo.

5. JulesMIA

JulesMIA Member

MBU
    United States
    Sep 19, 2017
    I will just say that Silva isn't a Wall Street guy, I work in the industry and he wouldn't fit in.

Cavan9 repped this.
  6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would a federal attorney get involved in a private lawsuit? That doesn't generally happen unless there's a significant public interest or potential criminal charges involved. Neither appears to be the case here. While the Department of Justice does have an antitrust division, it normally initiates antitrust suits on its own, and sues on behalf of consumers rather than competing businesses. It is in fact prohibited from participating in most private antitrust suits, which tend to be filed by businesses trying to compete with the alleged cartels.

JasonMa, gunnerfan7, Cavan9 and 2 others repped this.
  7. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injunction they're requesting is the key bit, if they get it then this will drag on for a while if they don't then I can see everyone not named Miami United and Cosmos leave NASL or fold.

JulesMIA repped this.
  8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised. I knew it would come down to this eventually if the NASL didn't get their way.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nasl-files-antitrust-suit-against-us-soccer-federation/16961569/

Edmonton wasn't part of the vote.

NCFC "does not support" the lawsuit, and I'd note there's no actual word whether they even had a part in any vote to go ahead with this lawsuit.

JasonMa, JulesMIA and jayd8888 repped this.
  10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I just noticed the lawsuit cites Billy Haisley.

Good lord ...

JasonMa, majspike, Kejsare and 7 others repped this.
  12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So with NC rumored to have been against the action, 2/8 of the active teams were against it.

If NC and/or Edmonton have a semblance of agreement with other leagues to join for 2018, they could make this very ugly for the NASL. The Cosmos et al are banking on teams not choosing to sue/complain about the lawsuit because it ruins their futures as well. If NC and Edmonton's future is decided, it could get ugly if they choose to.

13. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT
    A
    SHITSHOW!!!

I mean wow to not only not get everyone on board with this but to not even include a team which owners have shares in the league takes some serious stones man.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos fans are furious
    [​IMG]

Sachsen and BHTC Mike repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FILING the lawsuit creates literally zero risk. Anyone can file any damn thing, and it's far, far more likely that the US will win the 2018 World Cup than that FIFA will ban them because some idiots filed a lawsuit.

Now, if they win the lawsuit, the risk becomes higher than zero. Even higher than our chances in 2018.

Cavan9 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My comments on Haisley's Deadspin articles are both better written and better researched than his. Where am I cited? :mad:

JasonMa, gunnerfan7, Kejsare and 5 others repped this.
  17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking for when Commisso became chair of the Board of Governors, and it just keeps looking fishier and fishier.

The last publicly acknowledged chair, Mark Frisch, apparently served from September 2015 to January 2017. When he was elected, there was an official press release from the league, and there were mentions in various other news outlets. There was never any public mention of him stepping down when it happened, but I would assume it happened when he announced he was looking to sell the Jacksonville Armada. On January 27, 2017, interim commissioner Rishi Sehgal told WRAL that the position was vacant.

There appears to be literally nothing about Commisso being elected as chair.

Since Commisso is a relatively new owner, I'm starting to wonder if he was elected in the very same meeting (with Edmonton and NC apparently not present) in which the board voted to sue. It smells like a coup.

JasonMa, Cavan9, Sachsen and 1 other person repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

This is a civil suit. Federal attorneys aren't involved.

You're coming across as either a troll, or someone who is from Chile who (understandably) doesn't know anything about our legal system and also (less understandably) is in this thread making assertions rather than asking questions.

JasonMa, gunnerfan7, UxSxAxfooty and 3 others repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt about it. And the Federation surely expected it. They would likely ha e been shocked if there wasn't a suit.

1) I think my definition of the word arbitrary must be different than theirs. They refer again and again to arbitrary standards, but asking that a team have a suitable place to play in is hardly arbitrary, it's simple math.

2) Its clear that there's some kind of curse that goes with owning the Cosmos that makes you an asshole.

3) MLS is an investor owned company. No court in the US is going to rule that the owners must award partial league ownership to someone who thinks that would be nice.

4) I hope Commisso and Silva get boils and their dicks fall off.

JasonMa, gunnerfan7, Cavan9 and 7 others repped this.
  20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the NASL's CONCACAF coefficient is 0.0000, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    FIFA only picks on the small and the weak.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA will pick on the big boys as well - they're just a lot quicker to then "reconsider" (see: Messi).

RafaLarios repped this.
  23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Nothing arbitrary about that.:D

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You might be right on the fact I'm from Chile (as I am), and that maybe I might not know so well how the "your" legal system works (also true).

But antithrust laws in the US, by definition are of competence of federal authorities and local government. If it is a civil suit or not, the moment you invoque them, you are making it a Federal case.

And no, I'm not trolling here. Just pointing out a fact.

FIFA doesn't like government interference in any way or form when it gets to its member associations or their respective affiliates. For FIFA, all the issues it involves them, must be solved within closed doors, with no external involvement (sole exception, is the ruling at the Court of Arbitration for Sports).

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Eh....not when it comes to a cash cow.

JasonMa and Rickdog repped this.