NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Apparently the "offer" came nine days after the suspension of operations.

Can't you see a conspiracy when it's RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU?

SUM offered to buy something at an estate sale, but because the deceased came back to life later, it totally, means they can be charged with murder.

Adrian, KidFlash, dredgfan and 26 others repped this.
  2. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised the NASL lasted this long. Honestly thought they wouldve thrown in the towel by now. Though this is likely the last ditch effort before they concede.

cloak and Cavan9 repped this.
  3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who loves a good analogy, I'd just like to say that this is possibly in the top ten or so analogies in all of recorded history.

KidFlash, mbar, tomásbernal and 12 others repped this.
  4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would post them on here, but i'd rather just send people to @turneresq on Twitter. He's been posting tons of interesting court documents over the last 24 hours pertaining to the case.

soundermiki and Beau Dure repped this.
  5. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could anyone give this board a brief summary of those documents?

6. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Not a lawyer, but...

1. The USSF is taking a hard line on the USL D2 application. That explains why Seattle is moving Sounders2 a year early, why Whitecaps2 is folding, and the other rumors related to teams such as Swope Park, Orlando City, etc. Doing so removes one of NASL's arguments about the USL receiving favoritism.

2. The summary judgement hearing will likely be during December. January at the latest.

3. The briefs lay out the framework of the arguments each side will take. No need to expand on them further, as they are obvious and have been rehashed here and elsewhere numerous times.

4. NASL is trying to add things late, which is something USSF will likely object to, as they weren't in the initial findings. I have no idea what that means big-picture-wise.

5. The feeling was that the judge is leaning toward giving the injunction, but that USSF had shown enough to not make that a certainty.

jayd8888, Cavan9 and The Franchise repped this.
  7. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    The part I got to on the tweets was that the Judge was asking why it was necessary to declare D2 sanctioning now, when 2018 was several months off. I suspect that the arguments were headed toward commitments and out clauses, such as for NCFC, but the page ended.

Anybody have what came next?

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SUM response:

http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/...isso-sums-conduct-way-improper-without-merit/

“The facts behind that bid are that SUM, the marketing, licensing and commercial affiliate of Major League Soccer, was informed that the Cosmos were going out of business and were trying to sell its commercial assets for as much money as possible to pay its creditors. Those assets included the Cosmos name, a film library, the use of Pele’s likeness in connection with Cosmos-related merchandise, etc. As one of the leading soccer commercial companies in the United States representing a wide variety of soccer properties, SUM placed a bid for these soccer-related commercial opportunities with the view that it could develop merchandise and other products for the public.

“As a part of its bid, SUM included common provisions that the seller — the prior owner of the Cosmos — would not devalue those assets and create consumer confusion by operating a new team in the New York metropolitan area for 10 years. SUM’s bid was not successful, and it made no further efforts to buy the assets. Any suggestion by Mr. Commisso that SUM’s conduct was in any way improper is without any merit.”

Emphasis mine.

KidFlash, HailtotheKing, Kejsare and 2 others repped this.
  9. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 by midseason. Jesters for +150

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To argue for NASL's current plan (unusual for me), having two owners holding most of the league and getting it turned around when at the brink of collapse happened in the most successful soccer league in this country's history. I don't think Commiso and da Silva are quite Hunt and Anschutz, but the parallel can be made.

11. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commisso isnt doing NASL any favors in this lawsuit. He’s incapable of keeping his mouth shut.

12. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If NASL lawyers win anything past a motion to continue, they will gain business.

If MLS lawyers lose this lawsuit, they are out of business. Who would want to hire the lawyers that lost this while Commisso babbles through it all?

Bill Archer repped this.
  13. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Well, it depends on what winning and losing constitutes. I fully expect the injunction to be granted. High-powered attorneys seem to be able to get injunctions without too much trouble, if what you see in the media holds true.

The big question will be what the court says about whether the USSF has the legal authority to set up the rules for divisions standards and then enforce them. If the court rules in USSF's favor, I think NASL staved off death for one year, maybe two.

14. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Investors are backing away from NASL. If the court rules that USSF can't regulate divisions, that NASL will have to compete head to head with MLS. This is with minor league talent, minor league facilities, and little to know brand awareness outside of those who rant about it on the internet.

15. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Well, there are about 8 or nine NPSL teams that are allegedly ready to jump up to NASL should NASL remain at D2 (no word on what happens and divisions are abolished), so I wouldn't say NASL is missing out on investors. Of course, none of these guys seem to have the money to compete with USL teams, much less MLS.

One way or another, whether NASL dies in a few months, or it implodes in another year or two, I just don't see how their business model is going to work against either USL or MLS (lol).

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those investors appear to be Commiso and da Silva.

17. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I'd edit (I'm @turneresq) is that my feelings about the Judge favoring the injunction was based on the transcript of the hearing to schedule everything, and that was BEFORE she had read any briefing on this case. At that point, she didn't know any more about the case than a random person on the street. Sort of a, "why not grant the injunction; what is the harm?" line of thinking. She may well change her mind based on the arguments presented.

18. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    No MLS lawyers are involved in this suit as far as I know. (Though Latham & Watkins is kind of ubiquitous.)

dredgfan and When Saturday Comes repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard this stated previously by others. Please don't take this personally but I don't believe it.

One or two, maybe three, OK I'll buy it.

Cavan9 repped this.
  20. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really curious how SD and OC will take to adding NPSL teams and having to shell out to keep them afloat along with their own expenses. I would hope no one but Silva and Rocco pay to help the NPSL teams but I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed for all the teams to chip in, which IMO will eventually lead to more established teams leaving after a season or two.

21. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My understanding was the Silva, Rocco and Palmer would "sponsor" two teams each, so the other NASL teams wouldn't have to pay.

To me, OC is getting such a slow start that I can't see it doing well. I'd kind of like for them to get the injunction so that the NASL can fail miserably and maybe that would shut people up. But it probably wouldn't.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If eight or nine NPSL teams step up, sponsored or not, six or seven of them will be disasters. Whether they actually fold or not.

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    This was in Szymanski's Declaration, before they decided to start redacting everything:

KidFlash and blacksun repped this.
  24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

25. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    So business as usual at the NASL offices.

KidFlash, The Franchise and Onionrings repped this.