NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If they did, it makes complete sense why they voted the way they did.

Just based on the statements and excluding the new clubs.

I think the vote would have been 5-3. (4-3 if San Fran abstains due to financial problems)

NY, Miami, and PR are basically NASL D2 or die. Plus they have relatively new ownership who don't care / were unaware that a major reason for division standards is the NASL.

Jacksonville has a new owner who has owned the team for less than 3 months and seems to have a plan/personal money that is dependent on remaining in the NASL in it's current iteration.

I would assume San Fran would support the lawsuit because there was already a planned USL San Fran team at the time of the lawsuit.

Indy, NCFC, and FC Edmonton would likely have bolted if there were no exit fees.

The thing I find interesting is that the 3 teams that have made the strongest efforts to expand their teams via youth teams, women teams, or community engagement seem the most stable.

jaykoz3 and Bill Archer repped this.
  2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pending expansion teams voting while some current teams did not is bizarre. If they're voting because they've put up money for next season, limit voting to only the teams which have done so. If not, don't include them. The teams looking at leaving are doing so in part because of stupid **** like this, so excluding them makes no sense. (Other than North Carolina, which could be argued to have a conflict of interest.)

But to see the Cosmos, Miami, PR, and the newbs vote this way makes sense. There's no USL spot for any of them. This forms a simple majority of the votes if NCFC is forced to abstain and the new ones are allowed full votes.

But what kind of majority is required for this sort of action? I would be surprised if it was simple majority, so it's necessary to cut out as many others as possible. If you're not certain about Jacksonville or Indy, then North Carolina and Edmonton must be excluded on reasonable sounding grounds, and hold the vote at a time and place that makes it hard for the swing votes to be present.

I think the causality may run the other way more; they developed these other aspects because they are stable.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm not sure about that. When I heard Palmer on Neil Morris' podcast, he repeatedly made the point that he deals with people who don't really comprehend divisions. He even sees the amateur teams in which he's investing as sort of "divisionless" in the minds of fans, sponsors and broadcasters.

He also thinks the exposure of having his brand on Armada jerseys on the Armada broadcasts he makes a local channel air (because he's one of their biggest if not THE biggest advertiser on that channel) is worth a couple of million dollars. I don't understand that math.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hey NASL. If division 3 status is so bad, why is USL kicking your butt?

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of the conspiracy between MLS and USSF duh!

6. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bill, the point about not having any good coaches was true back in the 1990's when I was coming up playing travel teams. That ancient history is where the now-outdated trope of not having any coaches comes from. It's not true anymore but first impressions die hard. I view it as similar to the older folks at my office being surprised which core urban neighborhood I happily live in because they only remember when it was "dangerous."

I made state ODP teams, played with and against guys who made MLS and ended up training overseas. For the record, I was from Newark, DE which is a stop on the Northeast Corridor and sandwiched between Philadelphia and Baltimore. My teams weren't as talented as the likes of FC Delco (the travel team that Ben Olsen played for) but we always played in the same league as them and played them tight.

Guys my age didn't have much in the way of good coaches when we were coming up. It was mostly dads who had never seen the game before. That included the travel teams and ODP/regionals. My dad was actually the best of them all because he knew from basketball that a two-footed player is more effected that someone who can only use their primary foot. Most of the coaches had no concept of what makes a good soccer player. One of my travel team coaches said he wanted a "strong, scrappy" team rather than a skilled team that sometimes pushed over by less skilled but bigger kids. I'm glad I got off that team.

My first actual coach was when I was middle school aged who played at a D1 mid-major in college. He was the first coach to figure out that I belonged as a withdrawn center mid rather than a forward just by looking at how I touched the ball, distributed, and moved. I was first exposed to pro-level coaching until when I was in high school in the late '90s. I trained with a coach who played pro in Poland and had a cap or two in a friendly for the Polish National Team. It was a huge, huge step up from what I had experienced before. There were some not-so-great guys from the British Isles who were paid because they had accents. Good with training but not as good with making decisions on the ball, defensive shape, and making runs off the ball.

I'm now 36 and am lucky enough to still be able to play rec league in the open age group (knock on wood!). I'm playing against guys who are 15 years younger than I.(the goalkeeper on my team was in diapers when I was learning to drive!) The guys who came up in the 2000's and early 2010's were all trained by ex-pros and it shows. They are better at making decisions on the ball and making runs off the ball than guys my age when we were younger. I'm lucky that I'm able to adapt but I make sure to tell those guys how lucky they were to have better coaching. They tend to sort of space out because the world I came up in is so far removed from their experience. There are former MLS, pro D2/D3 and college players on every street corner now. Many of them make excellent coaches.

We have come a very, very long way with building player development infrastructure. We have plenty more growth to come but we should also celebrate that we came from nothing to get to a good pro league and a national team that makes the knockout rounds at the World Cup. If the difference between what I experienced and the guys 15 years my junior is any indication, we have a bright future.

KidFlash, Red Card, BalanceUT and 5 others repped this.
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 6-7 years ago, I saw Chris Carrieri trading a team of boys who looked about 12.

Of course, he wasn’t exactly the most cerebral player ever, so he might have been a crappy coach.

KidFlash and Cavan9 repped this.
  8. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to comment on the college stuff.

But in terms of professional sports, I believe the USA, and in particular the NFL, has gotten most of it completely right.

Money should not be the opposite of competitiveness. That is, because your owner is wealthier, your club should not have a better chance to win. Every club should have a chance to win. Every year.

The NFL does a lot wrong - especially the way it moves teams - but it is a far superior model of competitiveness, and thus fairness to fans and supporters, than any Euro soccer league.

9. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this over in Reddit.

918545470149898240 is not a valid tweet id

Len and C-Rob repped this.
  10. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    If, like me, you haven't the time (or ability to decipher the legalese) to read the entire motion, here is a good article to tease apart USSF's arguments.

The Franchise, jayd8888 and Salvadanish repped this.
  11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  12. Salvadanish

Salvadanish Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Curious expression, wouldn't that imply they had any significant chips to be played in the first place?

BalanceUT repped this.
  13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears USSF's motion to dismiss has been denied (secondhand from thread in NASL forum).

This would be a correct decision, because a motion to dismiss essentially means "even if everything you say is true, we still didn't do anything illegal." The judge must view all facts in the light most favorable to the plaintiff. As such, the factual allegations made by USSF in the motion to dismiss are largely window dressing and would be almost completely disregarded. I would expect this suit to go away at summary judgment, not at this stage.

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chip and a chair

15. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    KidFlash, jaykoz3, dredgfan and 2 others repped this.
  17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    People act like these non-compete clauses are something they never heard of. You aren't going to pay for a failing business and then say they can operate a new competing business with those funds. In essence the Cosmos old owners could have taken that 5 million and used that to start a new soccer team in NY. They can easily say they weren't trying to kill competition but protect their 5 million dollar investment they they made in the Cosmos assets.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say NASL gets the 12 teams next year, what's the over/under on the number that fold this time next year, 5?

19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the “league” (Rocco and Silva) is willing to pay for and move up 7 NPSL teams next year. So I’d say over 5.

billf repped this.
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would the 12 be?

If Edmonton, San Francisco and (I would wager) Puerto Rico bail, that's five, plus Cal and Gang Sign FC. That's seven.

Any team that has not begun business operations yet is a candidate to be in the under category. So if they have Atlanta (good luck) and four NPSL teams they bankroll, I would set the over/under at 3.5. Place your bets.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rocco is Dan Borislow with better people skills.

KidFlash, jaykoz3, Stuart95 and 2 others repped this.
  22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed your post

Cavan9 repped this.
  23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    this sums up ussf's argument in a nutshell.

The Franchise repped this.
  24. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Franchise and Cavan9 repped this.