NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least the Roots figured pretty quickly where their bread would be buttered. That may keep them from joining the Deltas on the large but less quickly growing pile of carcasses of dead American soccer teams.

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 90s in US Soccer (OK, really in soccer worldwide) was pretty interesting. I'd still love to see the US bring back a throwback 1994 kit for a friendly, but I'm sure Nike could never get the design from Adidas.

And those MLS nicknames - who can forget Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann talking about the Wiz and the Burn on SportsCenter . . .

Chesco United repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Even if they had wanted to do this, I don't think they could have. They would have had to pay double/triple the going rate to players to play for the team. Star players who would be part of the "best team in North America" don't want to play for a second division team in any league - despite whether or not the name recognition brings a tear to their daddy's eye.

You're looking at late career players looking to cash in, not young up and coming stars.

It was a flawed idea to begin with. Yes it would've been doable, but where Atlas, Saprissa, or the Galaxy could've spent 30-40 million, the Cosmos would've had to shell out double that amount. Everybody has a price, but they'd have to overpay for everyone - and pretty much everyone under the age of 32 not actually getting playing time is likely going to be look to be sold.

TheJoeGreene, Elninho, Doogh and 2 others repped this.
  4. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were a Mona Lisa compared to Rayo OKC!

CMeszt repped this.
  5. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rayo was start of NASL 2.0 demise, I think it was when Gulati began to realize that they were just winging it at that point. The Delta's sealed the deal IMO.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I really really want him to do a second season about the 2007 WWC.

8. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking back, the MLS Reserves partnership was really the tipping point for NASL v USL.

NASL was, as you said, somewhat stable, meanwhile the USL was stumbling through with the disasterous "International Division" and poorly vetted expansion teams like FC New York and VSI Tampa Bay.

Then when USL partnered with MLS, it flipped. USL stabilized, added solid teams in expasnion. NASL had a few solid teams added, but more unstable one-and-dones, and most of those solid additions would end up switching to USL.

TheJoeGreene, Elninho and Baysider repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like seasons about most World Cups. It's done very well.

10. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a major distinction that many NASL navel gazers tend to miss. The team names that continued to have an active presence in their markets via continuations/revivals post-NASL are the ones that have cache in their markets to this day, whereas markets where the NASL team name died with the league or had no revivals after the original NASL franchise folded post-NASL, the NASL team names are a relic of the past.

Same reason that the Seattle Kraken NHL team was never going to be the Seattle Metropolitans, despite the historical significance of a pre-NHL Stanley Cup winning team. There had never been an attempt to revive the name after the orignal Seattle Metropolitans folded, and in more recent years the names Totems and Thunderbirds had stronger association with hockey in Seattle. Contrast that with outdoor soccer where, other than a brief stint in the late 80s/early 90s, if Seattle had an active pro soccer team, it was called the Sounders.

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Roger Bennett is probably better known for his antics on Men in Blazers (which I enjoy - it’s not terribly deep analysis, but I always feel better after listening to them). But he’s a VERY good documentarian/interviewer. American Fiasco was captivating.

sitruc, TheJoeGreene, CMeszt and 2 others repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4562 falvo, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    You know , I see daily Facebook posts talking about , reminiscing and recalling the old NASL stories and memories from players and fans alike about the old league are constant.

The discussions seem to be in abundance and a lot more livelier , intense and exciting than any of the current MLS ones and they are coming from all around the country and world.

Even though the league died 36 years ago, I don't think its as dead in most soccer fans mind's as many people in this thread have been suggesting.

If anyone was alive at that time, there is no way that you can't be thinking about that league.

Also, Chico Borja was one of the posters who was commenting in those threads and sadly, he has just passed away at 61 ...RIP! .

Former Wichita Wings player Chico Borja passes away at 61

GOODBYE, CHICO: Former Cosmos, USMNT player Borja ...

[​IMG]

13. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I honestly thought the Cosmos were already in pause mode for several years now.

sitruc, USA94 and Bluecat82 repped this.
  15. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're just setting themselves up to do what they do best. . . . wait for the 2021 NISA season to reach the halfway point then rejoin the league. :thumbsup:

sitruc, Gamecock14 and USA94 repped this.
  16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm not sure facebook is the best medium for MLS conversations and the fact it is for NASL 1.0 speaks to the crowd. The conversations may be more interesting for you but the hard numbers point to MLS being a superior league. Also the fact its here and NASL both 1.0 and 2.0 aren't is all you need to know.

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Gotta imagine Facebook isn’t exactly the demo MLS is going for compared to other social media venues.

sitruc repped this.
  18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Unofficial Pause Mode. This announcement puts them in Official Pause Mode. ;)

It's all about the nuance.

19. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was alive at that time, and I've gotta tell you...sitting as part of 19,000 strong at Allianz Field is a much better experience than sitting in Anaheim Stadium watching the California Surf.

"The good days weren't always good...tomorrow's not as bad as it seems."

-- B. Joel

profiled, Ismitje, sitruc and 7 others repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4570 falvo, Jan 29, 2021
    Its very still active though and far from being a dead forum. If you go on their pages, there are several which mention the league with many daily posters.

Considering the league folded 36 years ago, I'm amazed and the amount of stories and memories that are posted on those pages....

The Surf didn't last long though and are easy to forget. I mean its difficult to remember a 4 year outdoor average attendance of 6,700. I'm sure they are easily forgettable. They had great players though with Steve Moyers , Carlos Alberto ., Peter Wall, Al Trost and Alan Mayer.

21. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4571 Doogh, Jan 29, 2021

(Honestly, wouldn't make sense if Commisso sells the brand than just making sure Jeff Kessler can get richer? I mean, its been four years. Discovery in the case turned up nothing nefarious against US Soccer/MLS. And wouldn't selling the brand be better than seeking monetary damages?)

jaykoz3 and AndyMead repped this.
  22. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing though the NASL had what like 4 solid teams? Everyone else was failing left and right. I get how you remember those times fondly but they pail in comparison to right now. How many NASL teams had their own stadiums? How many NASL teams had attendance over 10k on the average? The NASL had a few great teams and a few all time great players but they failed and failed spectacularly, I can't see who wants to do that again?

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4573 falvo, Jan 29, 2021
    Sure of course not. No one wants to go back to those days. I never said that. I'm just saying its still a great memory and those memories created a legacy which are still evident. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for those days and its not something that should not be discounted as many on the boards seem to suggest.

As far as attendance, this pandemic isn't doing anything to help soccer in America. Heck if the NASL had an average attendance of 10,000 a game in 1984, that is more than MLS had all last season with their Covid filled season.

Let's hope this Coronavirus doesn't start killing franchises and MLS as a rule because I for one would be heartbroken to see another soccer league fold.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of the experience was being at the massive one-off games against the Cosmos, like 58,128 in Seattle, 45,288 in Tampa, 46,164 in Minnesota and 32,247 in Portland.

25. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like Commisso is unafflicted by the news. Just saw him in the stands at the Fiorentina vs Torino game in Italy.