NASL Files Federal Antitrust Lawsuit Against US Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 19, 2017.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've no reason to root for the guy but I can say that many other stadium efforts in Italy have been dragged out WAY too long due to the laws there. There's a reason so many Italian clubs play in s*** venues and it's not by choice.

2. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, though I'm surprised that he thinks he can simply buy his way into a new stadium without any government hurdles blocking his way.

I'm just waiting for the eventual moment he sues the Florence government or maybe the Italian Football Federation.

3. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean it’s his fault he bought two teams that where struggling financially. He doesn’t want to put in the effort to make them successful. Just excepts everyone to bend over backwards for him.

Revolusean, Doogh and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I knew this would happened when Commisso bought the team. Dealing with the bureaucracy in Florence and the Tuscany region is a complete joke Wen I lived and worked there, some days I didn't even want to get out of bed! Rocco will be 95 in 15 years so he will never build a stadium there. Mamma Mia!

Doogh and Stuart95 repped this.
  5. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over/under Commisso sells the team in 4 years, if the team gets past mediocrity?

I'll take the under.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4281 falvo, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    If there are any buyers , it would be even sooner than 4 years.

The trouble is that ever since Covid, things have changed in Italy. The deal involving James Pallotta selling Roma to Friedkin fell through as soon as February /March rolled around. New potential ownership is getting scared to buy in Italy. It may be the same all around Europe but Italy could be worse. The same thing happened after the calciopoli scandal but this is ten times worse.

7. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I think Serie A will weather the storm, I'm more worried about the lower divisions, the instability of Serie B, C and D is...there.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Covid will definitely setback all the leagues. The foreign players may also not want to come over but it could help domestic players. This is something the Serie A and the national team would welcome. At least from an Italian domestic player standpoint. Not sure if it will help European club competition though...

Doogh repped this.
  9. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4284 Doogh, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    NASL seeks Summary Judgment against US Soccer, MLS in Antitrust lawsuit – Socceresq

10. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like NASL just wants this to be over regardless of the outcome. Wonder if Commisso is even involved anymore?

11. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a good glimpse at what the damage costs will be...

[​IMG]

12. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Dammit. You beat me to it.

13. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Small potatoes.

SierraSpartan repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But, hey, treble damages!

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Miami’s owner made nice with MLS and US Soccer and the rest of NASL is defunct, I think it is safe to say that Commisso is the only reason this lawsuit is dragging on.

16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen with regards to the "spending" these past two seasons on the Cosmos I can safely say he's done with the team and is firmly focused on Fiorentina. He probably wants this over with because he's done throwing money at this case.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way to get this over with is for him to settle or drop the suit. Trying to get a summary judgement may be the final action before he does one of those things, but no idea.

I also think another way to look at his investment in the Cosmos is that it is in a holding pattern. He's clearly not interested in dropping big money on it while it is losing money hand over fist, but if he were to win the lawsuit and get US Soccer to implement pro/rel or something along those lines, he could ramp up his spending again.

18. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spending for what though? They're in NISA currently. That league doesn't call for "Cosmos" level spending, they can get by with MLS cast offs and a couple of warm bodies. The Cosmos aren't in a holding pattern they're done.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Commisso were done with the team, why even have the team? It is very easy to shutdown a team in the US.. He even gets to keep the IP if he wants to go back to the clothing apparel only business..

20. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like with this lawsuit. Its now a vehicle for legal fees.

Bill Archer repped this.
  21. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably wants to sell his share of the team (Sela sport still owns it's share) he only brought Seamus's share which was enough to operate the team and probably only cost a couple hundred grand, chump change for a man with his money. He needs the lawsuit over to really sell and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the USL in a year or two with another owner. The USL would love to have both Queensboro and the Cosmos in their league.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't require a team to be fielded tho.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Commisso say he's spent $millions on the Cosmos?

I expect Queensboro to be very successful if comments on NYCFC supporters' FB page is to believe. A lot of NYC fans hail from the Boro and would love a local team.

I don't anticipate the Cosmos becoming any bigger than they were in NASL, especially if they stay outside the city, unless they want to rename themselves the Brooklyn Cosmos.

24. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The where apparently losing 30M a year before Rocco acquired them. I really don’t think he’s invested that much into the team.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Cosmos were losing 3.3 times as much as Toronto despite TFC having a $22 million payroll. Seems careless.

superdave repped this.