NASL evolution

Discussion in 'NASL' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Since you didn't really read my post I stopped reading after this.

2. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather odd that there's no mention here of USL going to war with itself. When an entire division ceases to exist due to infighting don't you think that's part of the reason their "better model" didn't work?

3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He did read your post and dissected the stupidity of it point by point. You're one more inane ramble away from being WSW or CShine.

4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOOOHHH, so he doesn't actually say it. You've inferred what you want to.

That makes much more sense.

That'd be because it's the NASL clubs used to be the USL clubs that were the ones at war.

5. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    What I said in simplest terms:

Guys, we don't and can't fundamentally know the aspirations of an organization.

Slightly elaborated:
    • Entrepreneurial folks tend to be pretty individualistic.
    • MLS limits the independence of it's ownership groups.
    • The NASL does not control clubs in the same way
    • Sports leagues are not set in stone.
    • Discounting past leagues as analogs (nfl/afl) but using the same leagues as contemporary analogs (nfl/xfl) is a fallacy.
    What he (maybe you, too) heard:

The NASL is going to overtake the MLS IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS!!!11!!!!

Seriously, just think about this as two arguments. Though we're probably not that far off on some subpoints, but hell, say it had to be that black and white. Which one of these seems more grounded:

1. Guys, we can't really know for sure.
    2. <EDITED BECAUSE OF OBSCENITY>

To be clear, I'm arguing for camp 1.

But if I'm really that inane, please ignore me. This forum has that function, right?
    It'll be good for your health. Reading comprehension can be exhausting.

6. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I said all along. I used the terms "implied" and "inferred" throughout. It's typical for public figures to do exactly that and it's typical for the writers who cover them to pick up on those hints and write about it, which they have. If you care to ignore it, that's you.

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I usually care to ignore what isn't being said. Saves me quite a bit of time.

8. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Translated: Someone challenged my opinion and I took my ball and went home.

There use to be some good back and forth discussion in this forum. Now we get stuff more like this or the infamous goalpost moving.

Oh no you didn't. If that was all you wrote, no one would have bothered to challenge anything.

But I seem to remember a six paragraph post based on a lot of assumption, speculation, and conjecture. You outright stated(as if you knew) that Peterson and the NASL weren't building a league model that intends to lose its most successful teams. Even though that is the history of D2 and MLS is still expanding. And the idea that MLS is not above being challenged. Which I countered with, yeah, if a bunch of really rich people get together, move into MLS markets, and put together a similar product, it can be. But that is not the case with the NASL.

You also talked about the history in this country of major leagues being challenged and merged. I countered with that hasn't happened since the NHL/WHA fight in the 1970s. It is much harder to do something like that now. Back when MLS was in its infancy, it could have easily been challenged by another league. But funny how that never happened?

You talked about how there are owners who might not want to give up control of their players and teams. And therefore shun joining single-entity MLS. I countered with that also has not been our history and gave you the Joey Saputo example which you ignored. MLS hasn't had anyone tell them "NO" yet. When that happens, then there might be some validity to your points.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Obviously, this thread of NASL evolution has de-evolved into another pissing contest. YAWN!

You know the drill: time to put this puppy to bed.