NASL/D2 News 2010 Part 5

Discussion in 'NASL' started by atlanticTFCfan, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also an assistant coach.

2. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralston's signing with AC St. Louis shows that this club and the NASL should be taken seriously. A new era is beginning, one in which MLS isn't going to be the totally dominant force in American professional soccer.

3. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange Member

North Carolina FC
    Apr 7, 2008
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's over stating things a bit.

Ralston is on the back end of his career and is jumping at the chance to go home. I doubt that he would make this move if he was 25 years old instead of 35. And if he were going to Austin, or Carolina, or some place other than his home town, it might be a different story.

But as it is, MLS is still the dominant force in American professional soccer. It'll take a lot more than one signing to change that.

Having said that...

You can't understate what he brings to the team, and the league, in terms of his experience and professionalism.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're overstating the situation a great deal. Ralston will be turning 36 this year. He's been injured. He was at the end of his Revolution contract and no MLS team wanted him. He's in the twilight of his career which has spanned 14 years now, all of them played in MLS. He's looking for one or two more seasons at home in St. Louis, that's it. He's a good signing, don't get me wrong particularly with his coaching potential. But he's in no way a game changer for American soccer.

5. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Orange is correct in that I did overstate Ralston's signing a bit and he makes several good points. There is, however, the beginning of a real shift in
    US professional soccer balance. The USL owners who left to form NASL did so for a reason, a reason that is more than just NuRock's ownership of the league. I think they see an alternative way of doing things, different than MLS in crucial ways. Although we all support MLS and are grateful for what they have accomplished, there are shortcomings that need to be corrected, including small rosters, no reserve league, embarassingly low pay especially for players at the back end of rosters and poor performance in CONCACAF and US Open Cup play. When you also consider the huge jump in franchise fees for new teams entering MLS, the difficulty some MLS players have had in being able to negotiate with foreign teams and slack attendance for many MLS franchises, I think one could argue that there is room for new ideas.

Steve Ralston's signing with AC St. Louis may just be that of an aging quality player wanting to end his career in his hometown. But I think it is more signifigant than that. The next five years will be very interesting for US professional soccer.

6. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Because the Revs offered him a contract, he just turned it down. That's at least one MLS team that wanted him.

I'm not saying MLS teams were going to pay him a million bucks, but they wanted him.

7. Jozd

Jozd Member

Oct 18, 2009
    red rock vs blu rock
    "Teams in the NASL are allowed to sign seven foreign players."

http://nasl.com/news.php?id=37

near the bottom of the article, I was was wondering about the rules they had about foreign players

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Rowdies have 10 foreign players, maybe the 7 rule is for the starting eleven.

I found this at TBO.com: I don't get it:

With the signing of Chinese player Long Tan on Sunday, this now give the Rowdies five of their seven allowed international players, and 15 players under contract for their inaugural season scheduled to begin in early April.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the players have green cards, then they don't count against the 7 international player count.

10. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I don't see MLS sweating in their boots just yet. We're talking about a new league with new owners, and all of them in more or less uncharted territory. Cooper, and company have already found how choppy the soccer waters can be in this country with the suit by NuRock and the USSF decision, and I think that came as a bit of shock, and wake up call.

Agreed, to a certain extent. I still think that if the USL had handled the whole affair better the split could have been avoided.

Also agreed to a certain extent. I think that Cooper and company are actively going after "The hard core soccer fan." (would someone please explain this demographic to me.) with league structure, etc. I find it interesting that Garber says that now thats who MLS is targeting after the NASL, and USL have been corting that group for years.

None of these that you've listed are quick or easy fixes. We've come a long long way since the league has started. I could tick off the DP rule, Soccer specific stadiums, and soccer academies as to things that the league has done to improve the quality of play on the field, and to better it's overall image. It took us years to get these things. A new second division league signing a player in the twilight of his years isn't going to make the things you've listed change any quicker.

Time will tell. Let's see how the league fares on it's own after the 2010 season. It may crash, and burn after the USSF takes it's hand off it. Who knows? The history of second division soccer in this country is spotty at best.

11. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange Member

North Carolina FC
    Apr 7, 2008
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, supposedly today is the day. Should we all be prepared to be disappointed? Again?

12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, this is minor league soccer you should always be prepared to be disappointed.

13. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I talked to Kartik on Twitter about it. He told me it'll be sometime this week, but thought that Tuesday was too soon after the alleged Friday tweaks.

14. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange Member

North Carolina FC
    Apr 7, 2008
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So could that be interpreted as "either later this week or early next week"? Seriously, what's the hold up?

The reason I'm so pissed it that I'm trying to finalize my summer plans and have some flexibility on when I'll be out of town. It would be nice if I could coordinate it around the home games, but if the schedule isn't out this week, screw it.

15. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's frustrating to me because they keep saying it'll be out and then it's not. If they had said nothing about it at all, it wouldn't be a big deal.

16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Correct, these things do not make the league look very pro

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said before, remember that this isn't the NASL yet. Is the USSF D2 League. And, as such, you're having to deal with the NASL, the USL AND the USSF.

Considering how contentious things are between the NASL and the USL (remember that court case?), it doesn't surprise me in the least that getting the schedule out is a little disorganized.

Also, the MLS schedule (with far fewer complications) is only just being released tomorrow.

So while the back and forth is annoying, it's really not that late.

18. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax, jeez. This "league" was just invented out of thin air a month ago, and there's like three months until opening day.

I want to see the schedule, too, but what are you worried about? That they won't have a schedule at all? Maybe it'll be like pick-up ball in the park.

19. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange Member

North Carolina FC
    Apr 7, 2008
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I should relax, but...

How do we know it's three months until opening day? The league hasn't said anything yet. Technically, we don't even know how many games they're playing.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the teams have their schedules finalized and are dying to release them so they can sell tickets, but that someone with the league is telling them to hold off until every team is ready to go. Which, considering the league set up this year, is just stupid.

The problem, in my opinion, is that no one is speaking for the league. We're hearing a bunch of stuff coming from each team, but nothing from the league. I wouldn't even know where to go to find "official" league information. Think about it, since the announcement of the formation of this league, has USSF said a single word regarding it?

20. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    under promise, over deliver. a good axiom to live by. otherwise you seem to be crying wolf a lot about your business plans. it's an annoyance for us that dates keep being moved back but it raises caution flags to prospective sponsors who can spend their dollars elsewhere with a group that only posts deadlines when they can keep them.

21. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A lot is going on and lots of money is being pumped into the new league/teams.

With the exception of the MN franchise which seems finally to be gaining headway now, I'm fairly confident teams are ready: the schedule is set (except for some possible last minute tweaking), stadiums are locked in, teams have signed players, teams have started knocking the ball around, practices are beginning officially around March 1, teams are setting up pre-season friendlies and holding final trials/camps, and teasing us with early marketing. I beleive a number of sponsor deals have already been established for the league and its up to teams to drum up local support. Crystal Palace just announced they hired a "marketing" person to develop their brand and bring people into the stadium.

Both NASL and USL are keeping the lid on. Obviously, the official word to launch the season will come from USSF and we know how long it can take them to act.

Look for things to break loose by Monday. Look for games the first week in April.

22. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the lateness that looks weak, it's how often sources that should be in the know and telling the truth (like, say, the teams) have made official-sounding announcements about when we would hear something - the kind of announcements it's less than professional to make when you just don't know. Those statements should either be followed by us hearing only a little while later than predicted (or, y'know, on schedule, but it's a fledgling league and I don't expect perfection) or they should not be made at all.

23. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Business plans? This is a one-year league. Who's going to sponsor it?

24. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange Member

North Carolina FC
    Apr 7, 2008
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF seems to think someone will. I believe they mentioned something in the press conference about selling the naming rights.

25. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. If it happens, fine, but I'm not sure how marketable the naming rights on this league are.

2. If anyone is interested, I don't believe (like the previous posters) that delaying the schedule will be their deciding factor.

3. I don't believe the timeliness (or lack thereof) of a USSF-D2 schedule will really turn future NASL sponsors away.