NASL Com. Bill Peterson vows to 'take action' to introduce promotion & relegation in North America

Discussion in 'NASL' started by bana2166, Aug 11, 2015.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never say never, but you have to admit it seems extremely unlikely that they have the required Pacific coast teams by next year.

The One X repped this.
  2. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the very least, we don't ever have to worry about Virginia and Oklahoma City anymore, because in this article, he admits that they aren't going to bother incorporating them.

HailtotheKing and The One X repped this.
  3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would mean they'd have a pretty short turn around on annoucing expansion and playing on the field. Which is something many NASL proponents used to trumpet as proof NASL did it better than USL (who awarded franchises to anyone with no time to prepare).

Just food for thought.

4. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    But Peterson says he will not be pressurised or swayed into where to admit teams or when. The article said so :p.

Blando13 repped this.
  5. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure if its the case and I may be off on my reading of it but the standards were ammended last year to change from a looser 3 time zones specification to eastern, central, and Pacific. Maybe this clause could come into play? :

Amendments

i. Any existing league shall have three (3) years from the date it receives any amendment to these Standards to come into compliance with any amendments to these Standards unless the U.S. Soccer Board of Directors specifically informs the league that a shorter compliance period is required to protect the viability of the existing league.

That would put the need for a Pacific Time Zone team at 3 years from the ammendment's (dated Feb.28. 2014) date, around Feb 2017 instead of 2016.

6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There where rumors going around that FC Edmonton is sticking with NASL because they view the Canadian league salary cap will be to high for them. If true this worries me a bit.

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why buy into and relocate OKC when you can have the Silverbacks or the Railhawks? Pretty weird if they end up doing that.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the NASL has local investors lined up (or at least in discussions) and SOS did the leg work in going out and finding a buyer for their expansion franchise fee themselves. NASL may be trying to sell both Silverbacks or the Railhawks off at a higher cost than SOS is selling the "rights to an expansion franchise".

Either way, this story has a lot of things missing at this point in time. OKC FC fans shouldn't get their hopes up ... and it really shouldn't effect anyone else, unless they figure they're in the location where Rayo is locating it.

The One X repped this.
  11. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I read that Rayo was considering buying OKC and moving them to KC and calling them the lightning, that to me sounds like suicide but to each his own.

The One X repped this.
  12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would question where they would play as well as numrous other things. I guess another high school venue, but the support would likely be very limited.

13. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I can't see the CSA just starting up a league, even with CFL help. I think it would be a win-win for NASL and the CSA for them to create a Canadian Conference that is a part of NASL to provide something approaching stability and legitimacy for both parties. I can imagine a league set-up where there are multiple conferences (Canadian, US North, US South/Carribean?) that play a home and away matches throughout the season with some inter-conference matches thrown in. Top teams from each conference will engage in playoffs for the Soccer Bowl.

NASL should petition the USSF to allow them a greater percentage of non-US teams to join their league. It's in their name after all. It would create a distinction between themselves and the USL if the latter gets Div2 status.

14. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Why the Caribbean?

15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Because Puerto Rico United, Bermuda Hogges, Antigua Barracudas, Sevilla Puerto Rico and River Plata Puerto Rico were MASSIVE :D

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, NWSL does not meet Women D1 standards but they are still a D1 league.

Now if USL (all or partial) do meet all of D2 and NASL still does not, I could see USSF telling NASL sorry but your time is up, or leaving them as D2.

Also to Note, 2 people from MLS and 2 people from USL sit on the USSF board, no one from NASL does, that may affect things in 2017 (also no member from NWSL as far as I know).

Antique and The One X repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #117 ceezmad, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    If push comes to shove, would you move Atlanta to some place in the pacific, I mean the league owns the team, use the MLS excuse to pull the team out and meet D2 standards (only if USSF does threaten to remove D2 if they fail to have a team out west).

18. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    #118 The One X, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    I would, although it would be a last ditch effort. I think it would be smarter to move them somewhere closer such as Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville, or New Orleans. Another possibility would be Alberquerque which while wouldn't satisfy the PST requirement, it would be close enough to possibly be a bridge to potential owners out there.

19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd still need to find a place to play, but I'd imagine that would be fine.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but as you say last ditch effort only if USSF does draw the line of pacific team or no D2 sanctioning. Otherwise I would keep them in ATL and see what happens when MLS comes to town. If it goes bad as many people think, then move the team then.

Just what I would do if I were king of NASL. It is not my money ;)

The One X repped this.
  21. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea that's not happening.

http://m.ottawasun.com/2015/08/28/no-interest-for-canadian-expansion-nasl-commish

22. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Yeah, the only way I see the NASL losing its D2 status is if the USL meets all of the requirements while the NASL does not. If the NASL does meet all of the standards I think it will make it more difficult for the USL to get D2 status as they now would need to make the argument that there should be two D2 leagues. Which the answer isn't as straightforward when you consider the established D2 league is made up of 100% fully independent teams, has higher operating costs, and is trying to achieve a higher level of play. Meanwhile you have gone on public record stating D2 status would not change anything within your league.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean does it really matter who is D-2 or D-3 honestly? There is no real pyramid. Without pro/rel, its just who is the tallest midget at this point. Who cares?

oknazevad and The One X repped this.
  24. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a way, I think this is correct. For both leagues there's a vast difference between them and MLS. I'm also not sure there's that much difference between most USL and NASL teams.

25. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    In practical terms this is 100% true.