NASL Championship Series 2012

Discussion in 'NASL' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Oct 14, 2012.

1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tampa Bay Rowdies

vs

?

2. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Rowdies. Down here in SA we feel it will be San Antonio.

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I owe you a phone call. Perhaps after tonight's game? :D

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    another Florida team makes it to the finals !

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and then there were 2:

Tampa Bay Rowdies vs Minnesota Stars

6. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those wily Stars, they know how to get it done come October don't they?

Should be a fun final. (Come on you Stars!).

Smoke & Mirrors, NORML and bullsear repped this.
  7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sixth-place team in the finals for the second straight year. Such an awesome format. So much better than any other league's setup.

Minnesota's record the last two regular seasons: 17-20-19.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year of this ridiculous format. The only good thing is maybe Stars can find a owner.

cdskou repped this.
  9. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually your posts annoy the hella outta me. But this one actually made me LOL. Not even worth f*ckin with you anymore. I'll leave you to your own world.

10. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    We're the St Louis Cardinals of DII soccer!

NORML repped this.
  11. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Minny like last year is a very cohesive team, Manny is a good coach, it was a close game tonight and could have gone either way(maybe San Antonio's if Campos didn't get red carded).

Entertaining game and I enjoyed it and yesterdays(especially)more than much of the MLS games I've watched lately. With 6 of 8 making the playoffs it may be a bit much but I will miss the playoffs next year. Wish they could have top 2 teams from each split playing for the Soccer Bowl next year but I'll give it a chance and try to like it.

12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so happy today.
    Looking forward to the Finals
    good luck to the Rowdies Fans, here is hoping the series will be fun and close

today I love Pablo Campos

13. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I always cringe when I see MLS fans do this with the EPL. It comes off as an inferiority complex. Yes, some MLS games can be more entertaining than EPL games. But just say it was an entertaining game. No reason to bring a superior league up in comparison.

We all know the level of soccer we are watching. It is minor league soccer. These guys aren't making a lot of money and the talent reflects that. Doesn't mean we cannot enjoy it. Hell, the most entertaining game I ever saw was a high school game.

SoccerPrime and NORML repped this.
  14. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Y'all haters can eat it...the Minnesota Stars are the unkillable Rasputin of the NASL. I don't know if that comes with the group sex and the enormous genitals though.

15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True, I know the MLS is a superior league, just something I have been frustrated with lately watching them sometimes. Could be that up here in Canada we get a lot of Toronto FC games on the TV, and watching them can be very frustrating, lol.;)

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put the Rowdies or the Stars up against Toronto FC any day :D

bullsear repped this.
  17. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    At this point I'd like FC Edmonton's chances against FC Toronto after a stiff drink or two.

bullsear repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say a star player hooked up with a girl I was trying to pick up at a minnespta bar. I should have known of their tenacity.

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The Soccer Bowl

[​IMG]

20. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Rowdies really put themselves in a hole with that second late goal. Minnesota has proven they can get a scoreless draw at Al Lang. It is going to take something special from Tampa Bay's offense to overcome this result.

21. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    And that was without the Stars putting ten men behind the ball and packing in, which you can bet they'll do on the 27th. They proved last year in the same situation that they're very good at it. Throw in a keeper as solid as Van Oekel has been, and the Rowdies seriously have their work cut out for them. That 2nd goal was definitely a killer.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what goes thru NASL HQ when the one team that seems closest to going under is on the verge of repeat championships?

23. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't know about NASL HQ, but you can bet that the individual team owners are seriously reassessing their spending and organisational structure.

But they'll never have Manny.

24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The reference to the NASL brass was the likely scenario where the Stars are to be contracted after this season. If Minnesota wins back to back titles it will be a black mark against the league to see their only champion cut loose. I know that business is still business, but the owners who are footing the bill for the Stars would have much rather seen this club miss the playoffs or quietly go out in the first round. Still, I know there won't be any long term damage from them defunding a two time champion. This circuit doesn't get a whole lot of media coverage in its markets and certainly is invisible out of it. So it like the tree falling in the forest...

As far as individual owners questioning the spending they are doing versus the results, I think we have already seen Fath in Edmonton make huge cuts. He chose to do that before the playoffs even started. The Rowdies have had the smallest roster and smallest coaching staffs in the league this season, so they can't really make much in the way of cuts. The Scorpions have gone on record that they will increase their player budget for next season and in Hankinson I would think they have one of the more expensive coaches. The main take away from this is that Lagos has shown two years running to be a coach who can put together a nice playoff run. If the Stars are contracted, he certainly might get an offer from the Eddies to take over that job. Could also be considered if the Islanders, Strikers, or Railhawks decide to make a change.