NASL Broadcasting revenues

Discussion in 'NASL' started by FoxBoro 143, Nov 7, 2014.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my bad. I forgot we were talking about the NASL on here. Obviously they make TONS of money selling their TV rights. Which is why the Cosmos made it all the way up to OneWorld!

This little debate started with this question by me after you asked where USL clubs are making their money:
    You answered with:
    My response was that the local broadcast deals are not profitable ventures for the clubs, they are essentially marketing expenses. That is a fact. If you want to stick with your theory in which the clubs have some mysteriously lucrative deals, go right ahead, it's simply not a fact.

kenntomasch repped this.
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clip and save.

I love people who think that because they watch TV, they understand TV as a business.

For the most part, local TV deals don't involve a rights fee, where the broadcaster pays the club and the club just sits back and counts that as profit. If you're lucky, it would be a revenue sharing deal, but more likely it's the team paying the production costs (and maybe the airtime, it's possible you could get the airtime in exchange for splitting the few avails).

That said, as a marketing expense, there are worse ways to lose money. These days, if you're not on TV, you're not seen as relevant. With national television exposure not on the immediate horizon for the NASL, and with a strategy of making the league itself nationally relevant unrealistic, the NASL needs to have its teams become relevant at the local level first. The clubs that have local TV deals are, slowly, helping gain relevance in their markets and appearing to do things in a fully professional manner.

That doesn't mean they're making money on the deal. (Partially because you can do TV on the cheap, but it looks cheap, and it's expensive to do well, and teams probably aren't fully exploiting the revenue possibilities within the broadcasts - which are limited compared to other sports by nature of the format.)

And it's silly to think that NASL Live subscriptions would ever be a significant source of revenue.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Exactly, being on TV is essentially one long advertisement for your team. The more games you have on TV the more relevant you are, and the more potential for growth you have. One day you can hopefully start making money.

I feel like the NASL is losing out on potential money with NASL live by not having commercials during normal TV commercial times. Most of half time just consists of the camera staring at an empty field. It doesn't have to be full blown commercials either, could be stuff more similar to typical internet advertising. Wouldn't be a huge revenue source, but every little bit helps.

The Irish Rover and brentgoulet repped this.
  4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Any idea how many people paid the 20 dollars for NASL live ? I know I am probably the only one here in DR ;)

Sam U El repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid, so they at least had revenue of 40 bucks ;)

brentgoulet repped this.