NASL 2016 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by USAsports6, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was either 1 mil over 3 years or 1 mil a year for 3 years. They never made it clear.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week! That's depressing. If my soccer club goes out of business I'd be heartbroken.

It would be the worse thing that's happened to me this year and I've had part of a toe amputated and lost my job.

3. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LI does have plenty of good clubs, but no designated Developmental Academies, basically the gold standard for an academy. Kids who are good enough to be in it don't pay one cent. It takes an owner with a long term vision someone with roots in the community. Very tough for that to happen.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had forgotten about Kelmsley.

Man, going back and reading all the articles about the rebirth (v1 and v2) would be comedy gold there.

Also...NASL down to four teams, according to Quarstad.

KidFlash and AndyMead repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perspective.

It's sports.

That's all it is.

TheJoeGreene, Antique, KidFlash and 3 others repped this.
  6. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unless that debt is only marginally higher than the cost of an NASL expansion fee--not that those should cost anything right now*--any rational investor should simply start a new team. Particularly as the organization is still probably tied into some poor contracts and an unsustainable cost structure.

But people can't let go of the idea that this "brand" has some special, magical right to keep existing. Basically, they cheer for laundry.

*Really, anyone even the least interested in an NASL team should be demanding free entry. And forget paying a bond. If anything, I'd want the other owners making covenants to ME, backed by personal guarantees.

7. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If they never made it clear, then you'd have to assume it was 1 mil over 3 years. I've never seen a club obfuscate to seem like a smaller deal.

8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    We got hammered by the faithful. Us old, crotchety, men of the past, know it alls.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, God, now fanboys are blaming NYCFC for killing the Cosmos.

TheJoeGreene, Cirris, jaykoz3 and 9 others repped this.
  10. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only that were true.

Actually, it probably is.

GOOD!

whill4 repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Well, there is a bit of truth to that...no? Not much, but a bit.

13. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    How dare NYCFC take up the spot in MLS that the Cosmos ownership couldn't/wouldn't take.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Hubris thy name is Cosmos. They could have played nice and adapted to the MLS model, which had been and continues to be proven as the workable model in the US. But no they wanted to spend spend spend like their namesake... well predictably the results were the same.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see the logic for this be unpacked.. It's not like NYCFC forced the Cosmos owners to make unrealistic demands of MLS. If they want to blame NYCFC for "taking over" NYC's soccer fan base and depriving the Cosmos, sure go ahead.. But again, that's on the Cosmos for putting the team out on Long Island..

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who are the four teams? Because that article says the Cosmos are dead, but that they're also one of four left, along with the previously suspended operations RayoOKC. Along with dire straits Ft Lauderdale and Edmonton.

Are they implying the teams not listed have already jumped ship? Or is their writing just not very good and those 4 teams are the ones now gone and the other 4 active teams left in NASL (Indy, Carolina, Jacksonville and Miami) are the ones that need to figure out what to do going forward?

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  17. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]Jeff Rueter‏@jeffrueter 33m33 minutes ago
    UPDATE: The four teams not negotiating with USL are FC Edmonton, NY Cosmos, FTL Strikers, and Rayo OKC. #NASL

UCFWayne and athletics68 repped this.
  18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    What I thought. Makes sense.

Three dead men walking and poor Fath all the way up in Edmonton.

athletics68 repped this.
  19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it is worded wrong? NASL is currently Carolina, Edmonton, Ft. Lauderdale, Indy, Jacksonville, Miami, Cosmos, Puerto Rico, OKC, and San Francisco. Ft. Lauderdale, Cosmos, OKC, and Edmonton are apparently not continuing, that leaves Carolina, Indy, Jacksonville, Miami, Puerto Rico, and San Francisco. That's 6 clubs for next year. All of the remaining 6 teams have reportedly paid their fees for next season and Jacksonville, Miami, Puerto Rico, and San Francisco still have 2-3 years left on their expansion bonds. *shrug* Of course, Carolina and Jacksonville could have been released from their obligations by NASL.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Barney Boyce was one of my counselors at soccer camp when I was a teenager during his one season with the Diplomats and I will not, good sir, have you besmirch his good name!

amancalledmikey repped this.
  21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So Miami FC is not going down with the Ship?

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah those tweets seem to provide some clarity. The rest of NASL is in negotiations with USL to jump ship. The four teams listed, NY, OKC, Edmonton and Fort Lauderdale are not. And that makes sense. OKC and NY are all but dead. Ft Lauderdale is in dire straits financially and may be in a legal mess before long. And Edmonton just doesn't make much sense location wise with USL (and would be better served in a Canadian league). Just wonder how many of those negotiating with USL the league will want.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah Barney Boyce was actually my neighbor when he played with the Quakes from 1982-1988 during the NASL and after it folded in the WSA league. He also ended up playing with the amateur San Jose Oaks pub team. He was a nice guy but his skills were lacking. He was a semi decent coach though. Average players usually are.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well negotiating doesn't mean they will end up in USL. It's just that they're not dead team walking like the other 3 US teams. And they may still either be rejected by USL I'd presume or choose to go their own way (or fold yet).

Blando13 repped this.
  25. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other tweets indicate it's IndyXI and not Rayo OKC that are added with FtL, NYC & FCE.

Rayo negotiating with USL but for a different location than OKC.