NASL 2015 Season News

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Sam U El, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    TM up for grabs

[​IMG]

2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's hard to look at the tix number the MLS team is putting up, and Blank showing competence with regards to soccer, and feel strongly about the NASL situation.

Then you look at that great stadium the SB's have, and the crowd averages over the years, and investing looks like a real gamble at this point. With that stadium however, and if there is no entrance fee, they can maybe find someone willing to give it a whirl. Seems like a big part of OKC Rayo was not having to pay that fee.

3. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Actually Zoidberg, Rayo may have paid a fee to Sean Jones to be his partner [and I hope they did]. Whatever arrangements they made, fee to Jones or not, they are now partners going forward and until Rayo proves otherwise I'm dubious this will be a successful arrangement. It will take years to be profitable and how long of a time frame do you think Rayo has? When that day comes is Jones going to be able secure more financing or is this all going to end?

bullsear and Zoidberg repped this.
  4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I thought someone legit reported the fee had been paid, and Rayo didn't have to worry about it.

Could be wromg of course,

That situation is such a head scratcher.

5. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot in the NASL is head scratching right now

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Not really......they need teams. Period.

It's just that now they are going the route of US leagues of the past.

Let's see what sticks, let's see if we can create a buzz/confidence that may get more to invest.

This is short term stuff right now. It will be interestmg to follow, and I know many like to bust kenn's chops here for beimg so negative, but I get it. We have both been around and involved for a long, long time. We have seen many leagues. Doing what these guys are now doing has never ever worked.

I'll remain doubtfull, but hey.....they are trying and there has to be a first time.

TheJoeGreene and Sporting Real repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    now that is the post of an optimist.

8. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And there is the problem with the NASCosmosL's current direction. With good ownership, and an existing facility, the Silverbacks might be able to carve out a respectable second tier niche in Atlanta and survive. But you've just acknowledged that that is a best case scenario. How does "surviving" a ~5K average attendance fit in with the NASL becoming an alternative D1? This is what drives me crazy about the true-believer faction of NASL fans: rather than encouraging their league to build a solid second division and expand the pyramid, they're obsessed with taking on MLS.

Well, since they also seem committed to the move two teams, expand four, contract another approach of the '70s NASL too, Cosmos outspend everyone (into oblivion) I guess it all makes sense.

A lot in the NASL is Cosmos right now.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    Couldn't agree more.

NASL needs to stop chasing this D1 pipe dream. I mean, c'mon.
    Set yourselves up in large markets that would likely not get pouched by MLS and/or a 2nd team in a very large market.
    Continue to compete with MLS teams on the field (Open Cup/other tournaments, etc)

As an NASL fan, there is no way on this God-given earth that NASL is even close to having anything close to a D1 title.

If they want to compete with MLS teams in MLS-markets, fine....I like the competition, but with D1 status, they are wasting their time.

10. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ya know, if they got there naturally, I'd be all for it. It's the dissonance that kills me.

But there's a big difference between saying "we believe in our model, and want to work towards providing an alternative for investors that would prefer more control. We may never be as big as MLS, but that's not how we define success" and "it's all a conspiracy man! Sunil and Don are all that's holding us down! North American soccer won't be taken seriously until we bring back the umpteenth '70s brand remembered by 40 people!"

Edit: And, for the record, I drove FIVE HOURS one way, and FIVE HOURS back to PAY MONEY to watch an NASL game this summer. Because it's the closest decent soccer to where I'm living and I wanted to do it. My wife and I had a fun trip, and enjoyed the game. But I'm a soccer diehard, and the product on offer is not going to trick anyone into mistaking it with MLS. And that's fine. I wish Canada had more teams like that.

11. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    What game was it? Where do you live?

I did watch an Indy game on espn3...I really enjoyed it. I also watched the FTL, fun team to watch!

I am going to do a soccer tour this summer, take 2 weeks off and plan my calendar and hit as many NASL/MLS games as I can. I am going over to the NY-area....so I am for certain hitting a Cosmos game.

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    NASL.....I agree with other poster, Cosmos....know they really can't garner any real recognition oitosde of the Open Cup. Even a long run threre would still be fleeting. Good promo, but ultimately forgotten.

The CCAF CL however would give them more games to play to a wider audience. If they were able to gain D1 status NASL would be able to ask for a slot as a D1 winner. That is the real gambit.

The Cosmos...err, NASL is trying every short cut in the book.

That's why the whole D1 thing won't go away, no matter how silly at this point.

13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Open Cup and CCL aren't going to make or break any NASL team because they are not well known tournaments. The prize money isn't good enough. It's just a prestige battle for those who follow soccer closely. Which is a shame because the Open Cup is the most exciting thing on the U.S. Soccer calendar in my opinion.

If Riccardo Silva pulls off his Champions League of the Americas concept, that will be a tournament with real financial potential and prestige potential.

bullsear repped this.
  14. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Currently at year 1.5 of living in Saskatoon for three years for school. Saw FC Edmonton - Atlanta in late July. The game was reminiscent of a poor TFC game from '07-'08: compressed midfield leading to ping-pongy soccer and goals from mistakes. Which is why I chuckle when I read a certain vocal online NASList drop lines about the league's superior tactical sophistication relative to MLS. Still, if I lived close enough there's no doubt I'd be a season ticket holder.

15. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I was a season ticket holder for FC Edmonton when I lived there for two years. I agree, the NASL level of play isn't consistent enough to fool anyone into thinking it's MLS. But it's fun, especially for hard cores.

Mike, I once drove to my closest MLS team when they played TFC. 21-22 hours from Northen Manitoba to K.C.

FootySkeptic and brentgoulet repped this.
  16. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I live in Ottawa and support the Fury. To be honest, their possession play and buildup this year was quite good and entertaining. That said, I still drove to see MLS games in Toronto and Montreal, and 3 years ago I made it a point to see a Whitecaps game when driving to Vancouver.

The MLS game has come a long way in the past 6 years and I just can't see NASL making up the lost ground even if they got Division 1 certification. The Cosmos really screwed NASL when they convinced them to go it alone against MLS. The problem is that none of the NASL execs ever thought that MLS wouldn't stop growing at 20 teams. That's the nail in their coffin. You can hear it in the complaints from Peterson when MLS announced it would expand to 24 teams - it's simply unheard of for any other Div 1 league anywhere else in the world. Now that MLS has announced the expansion to 28 teams, I think there is a dawning realization among the NASL/Cosmos tall foreheads that there aren't going to be enough 'major-league' cities without a MLS team in them to pass the Div 1 league smell test, especially if MLS hits the 32-team mark. They are realizing they're not going to get the national broadcast TV contract they need to stabilize the league and the future is starting to look bleak. Their best bet for continued league survival at this point is to try and find a way to work with the Canadian Soccer Association and be declared that country's premier league. That's the only way I can see they can save themselves.

As a side note - the news that the Scorpions are out at San Antonio is being widely reported. The NASL website? Not a peep.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    One .... Correct to blame the Cosmos. They deserve it.

Two .... I remember Peterson met with Garber after he first got into office. He wanted to talk about the markets if I recall. Basically along the lines of dividing them up and letting the game grow naturally, and giving NASL room to breathe. MLS should be bice and not poach NASL markets. He was concerned about Atlanta's expansion, then Minny's. He got a kick in the ass that day. Garber basically told him that these groups had come to MLS when expansion slots opened up, and if they had the goods they could get in. The NASL/Cosmos rhetoric became it's stupidest after that. Could the NASL owners have been that naive? Could be some were it seems.

Three .... The stupid rhetoric has died down recently, because much of it was simply stupid, and the legal threats have taken their place. The last gambit.

I said it when the Cosmos began talking their talk before they even started playing. May be the first team to help spearhead the death of two leagues. That would be impressive.

PS...I do think NASL will survive this time, and grow some markets and the game here overall. What we need.
    I do however think the fantasy is finally over, and reality has set in.

I repeat, as easy as it is to despise the Cosmos front office at times and segments of their fanbase.....they would be great in MLS at this point.

Yes, NASL ignorng any MLS news....like Minny leaving, the Ottawa coach joining MLS, the Scorpions leaving as SA wants to join MLS someday is stupid amd petty. Want to look like a lower league outfit...doing a good job there.

20. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If the Cosmos were selling the Brooklyn bridge and the NALS bought it, who's fault is that?
    I don't think the Cosmos were the only factor why the NASL whent the way it has. That being said the league is in a tough spot. I don't think the three expansion teams coming in next year are strong. Probably Miami FC is the strongest and would have a good chance of surviving. Even so It looks to me like the league will not make it 10 yrs, you just can't keep replacing strong teams and markets with weak ones. I'm saddened to see it heading in a downward spiral. There are plenty of good teams and players that put on a great show in this league. Tampa Bay, The Strikers, Railhawks,Furry, I love to see them come to town, it's a great time for the money.

21. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cosmos may not be the only factor (Davidson from FTL and Traffic certainly had a hand in this) but the Cosmos due share a lot of the blame though. By the by has anyone noticed how quiet it has been in the Cosmos camp? Miami, TB and Minn Utd have all signed big players and yet nothing from the Cosmos. They've lost Senna, Raul, Fernandes, Restrepo and possibly Cellerino as well, its curious they've not made move to replace them or any moves at all for that matter.

22. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's December and they've focused on the stadium bid this month. I expect we will see some activity in January.

23. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what is there to focus on? You can only do so much in these situations and honestly its not like Gio is needed for the stadium push he should be allowed to bring players in. Raul was signed in October of last year and so far the team has lost almost all of its offensive players. I hope they can bring in some good players because I think Minn utd is setting itself to be the team to beat next season.

24. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they realized it's stupid to spend so much money to dominate a league, and better to spend significantly less while still being the best team.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's an interesting take.

I don't know enough to say how much evidence there is for that idea, but it does fit with a lot of stuff you hear from the NASLers -- particularly the recurring view that FIFA should step in and prevent MLS from expanding beyond 20.

Is it true the NASL owners thought MLS would stop at 20? I really don't know. But, yes, an interesting take.