NASL 2011 - Is Atlanta for real?

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by MLSinSTL, Apr 27, 2010.

1. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of the NASL and Division 2 soccer in general I just have to ask this because I don't see it discussed anywhere...are the Atlanta Silverbacks really playing soccer in 2011?

I don't find any recent posts regarding their plans for 2011. The website
    http://www.atlantasilverbacks.com/pro/

Still has a headline posted long ago on Tuesday November 10, 2009
    "Owner of Professional Soccer Teams in Atlanta, Carolina, Miami, Minnesota, Montreal, St. Louis and Vancouver Form New Pro Soccer League to Begin Play in 2010".

The Silverbacks website has not been updated since then while in Edmonton they are making some strides by announcing coaches, tryouts, logos etc...

So, does anyone out there know if anything is going on in Atlanta?

2. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NASL 2011 - Is Altanta for real?

Atlanta is the NASL's answer to FCNY. Both are total vaporware.

3. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Re: NASL 2011 - Is Altanta for real?

I will believe the 'Backs are coming back when I see the game report and photos from the first game.

4. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so I can agree that Atlanta does not seem real at all. Why would NASL even list them on their site? It seriously detracts from their credibility.

I know, I know the USL does it too with FC New York although they have even done more PR than Atlanta recently by announcing a coach and flying to Africa or something like that.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed that one of the main bloggers to cover the whole mess this last year was Kartik and he's in charge of the messages coming from NASL. I don't know him at all, but I expected more PR out of the NASL based on his coverage of the division 2 debacle.

Just take the Atlanta 2011 link down from the NASL site if it's not real or start producing some PR in terms of concrete moves towards forming the team.

5. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Miami FC can perennially throw together a team in 3 weeks than Atlanta can do it too. Not saying that's a good thing, it isn't, but it can be done.

They have a stadium secured, they just need to sign some coaches and players. That can be done in a month. Yes they are dead silent on the PR front right now but I do think ATL is coming back.

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rowdies got the ball rolling rather late in alot of areas as well, but seem to be recovering and picking up steam now. Better late than never I suppose.

But Edmunton hopefully are setting a new standard for taking entry into the league seriously.

7. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis was also stupid slow...we threw our team together pretty quickly, and we're hoping things'll be a bit better after we get some time.

We also have been very quiet on the PR front...also not good.

8. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The Silverbacks were one of the first "breakaways" from the USL, hence their spot on the NASL list. They, like Miami, complained that the USL did not do enough to market themselves, never mind that the team did next to nothing to market themselves. But unlike Miami, they sat out the '09 season due to financial reasons, and were slated to return this year. For whatever reason, they are waiting to "return" next year. Many here in ATL took "sitting out" to mean "folded," and are looking to their alleged return in '11 with a jaundiced eye.

And no, to answer your question, we don't know what's going on.

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sucks because Tampa supporters have been talking about how it'd be nice to have someone other than lolMiami to roadtrip to and Atlanta came up often.

:(

10. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Atlanta would be a good one for you guys. And us. Right now all you've got that's vaguely close is Miami, and all we get is Baltimore. (Although you're only eleven hours away... hm...)

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya you guys aren't too far away, but we only play you twice this year. Plus the away trip for us is on a Friday. If it were a Saturday game I think we could have gotten 20 to 30 Mobsters there and had talked about a big road trip until we figure out it was a Friday game.

12. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and there's no way we're visiting you either - that one's even worse, since it's a Wednesday game.

We'll be good road trips for each other in years to come, though. Besides, that's when it'll be interesting, since you'll have had time to build up a little competence.

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you mean competence on the field. :)

because we already have you smoked in the stands. :D

14. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I do, that's what matters.

We're pretty good, but you guys are doing awesome on that front too.

(Also: I know you're not managing any 20-30, but is anyone making the drive from Tampa?)

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 10-15 is possible, with 10 being more likely than 15.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember the owners of Atlanta Silverbacks are also co-owners of the non-vaporware Carolina Railhawks, so they already have their feet in NASL's stable and in the future of the league. I have personally heard from a couple of sources that the S-Backs are planning to be back in 2011.

Also, lets not forget that USL owners NuRock, headquartered in Atlanta, have plans to place their own Division 2 team there with USL next year. So it could be a PR/pride issue with NASL and USL (think cold war mentality).

We'll see. MLS's Garber seems to think highly of Atlanta becoming a MLS city some time relatively soon. Thats sure to factor in there too.

17. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be interesting to see Atlanta with two teams. I think it would be the first time in the modern era that a city would have two pro soccer teams not in the same league.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there will be 2. It will be 1 or none.

19. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some overlap, but it's not the same owners. Still, that's the weirdest part of it to me. It's not like these people are flakes incapable of making a soccer team happen... but I don't know of any evidence for them playing in 2011 that wasn't there to imply they were going to play in 2010, and they're not.

Quite possibly. I suspect that by 2012 there will be soccer in Atlanta again... I just don't really expect it to be the Silverbacks. It's possible, though, and I'm not saying they couldn't return - I just won't believe it until I see it.

20. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, geez. :rolleyes:

Take it from St. Louisans who've been hearing Garber's crap for years, his praise means exactly nothing when it's time to actually award a team.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying MLS will come to Atlanta, but with Garber continuing to talk about it it has to factor into these minor league team's plans.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Real Maryland and DC United

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I believe that is no longer true. The Silverbacks owners were part of the initial RailHawks group, but there's been significant change in that regard.

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Good point

One group could invest a lot of money in Atlanta NASL and 2 or 3 years later Atlanta MLS steals their fans and sponsors away

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your feelings, but the reality is Garber keeps mentioning Atlanta and SOUTH Florida. No word about Tampa. Sorry.

If that is true I am unware of that. I thought at least Boris Jerkunica was still part owner of both clubs. Even when Wellman took over majority of the Railhawks, I thought Jerkunica retained a minority ownership of the Railhawks. If you are sure, can you please provide some kind of link or something? Thanks!