Nashville

Discussion in 'Nashville SC' started by DoyleG, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Here is a logo I designed.
    I really don't care about the name - it's just a space holder in the design.
    The light blue background is not part of the logo.
    It is there so that you can see the white circle between the blue and red circles.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea's not bad. The Titans worked the three stars from the state flag into their logos and it works here too. The ball with the stars does remind me of the one the NASL used to use.

3. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Ezell's a terrible place to watch a game, especially on a hot summer afternoon when there isn't a breeze.

When I was living elsewhere and back home visiting, I went to a game when they were in the A-League, and there was a small supporters' group called the Bus Stop or something. Is there any organized supporters' club now? Singing/standing/anything?

4. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That logo has some good ideas in it. You're right, like the Titans, it uses the circle and stars predictably. But hey, the design probably works better for soccer than football anyway. Place the stars along the curvature of the ball definitely gives it a UEFA Champions League-vibe (which is awesome!).

5. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Every now and again a group of the reserves will show up and make some noise and there is often a group of Metros alumni who park themselves by one of the corner flags, but that's about it.

6. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In case anyone is interested...

I found this on another discussion board from 2001.

http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000024

Devinder Sandhu Bio ---

[Devinder was inducted into the Tennessee Soccer Association Hall of Fame in 1999 for his life long commitment and service to the Game. ]

I am an environmental and civil engineer. BSc in Molecular Biology, MSc in Environmental Engineering. Both from Vanderbilt University. Spent 15 years working in the public and private sector. Started my own company, Sandhu Consultants International in 1994. Specialize in water, wastewater, hazardous waste and waste-to-energy systems. Also lead, asbestos, radon, underground storage tanks, real estate investigations, etc. ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE CLIENTS.

I am a Sikh, born in Kenya, East Africa. My parents were born in Punjab, India. Dad is a Ph.D. in Horticulture. Mom is a MSc Ed. Moved to the US (Texas) in 1966. Attended Jr High and High School in Lexington, Kentucky (Henry Clay High School). Helped start the first high school soccer team in Central Kentucky in 1970. Kentucky only had five teams back then..four in Louisville (Country Day, Trinity, St. Xavier, Atherton) and Henry Clay. We used to play Univ. of Kentucky Club Soccer team, Ashbury and Centre College teams and Jeffersonville (IN) high school as part of our schedule. Our HS principal introduced the new sport as "SAUCER"!!! My, how times have changed...but those were the days.

Attended Vanderbilt Univ. Played soccer from 1972-1975. Captain in 74 and 75. Lead team in goals and points in 74.

Helped start the Middle Tennessee YMCA soccer program in 1978. Organized and implemented the City Park Board Inner City Soccer Program in 1994. Organized and operated the soccer portion of the Tennessee State Games, Sportsfest as well as numerous outdoor and indoor soccer tournaments.

Managed, Coached and Played for the Nashville Blues...amateur soccer team that represented Tennessee in the National Amateur, Open and Over 30 cups for ten straight years from the mid 1980's.

I am a referee so I try to keep my vocal criticisms to a minimum (not really).

And as Lynn mentioned, Tennessee Soccer Hall of Fame inductee.

I am married to Susan Eslick...a patient, supportive and understanding wife and my best friend. I have a son, Kabir by my first marriage. He is 13 and nearly 6' tall. Interested in trucks, hunting, fishing and farming. Was a pretty good soccer player...but has other interests right now. Maybe he will come back to the game...but no pressure from me.

Lynn and I became best friends during our soccer rivalries. We think alike and have the same ideas so many times it is scary.

Anyway, we started thinking about joining the old SWISL in 1988 when Mike Balson (now Atlanta GM) called me to tell me about a group of high caliber teams playing indoor in the Southwest. This group wanted to expand to the Southeast. Mike wanted us to come on board along with a couple of Atlanta teams and a Little Rock team.

We played an exhibition schedule in 1988 and officially joined the new SISL (Sunbelt Independent Soccer League) in 1989. We played as an amateur team till 1997 when we were accepted into the A-League.

So we are the oldest team left from the old SISL that has the founders still involved and have resurrected the Metros name after playing two years as the Tennessee Rhythm.

The rest is history.

7. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Creating a supporters group for the Metros would be a good first step. Plus its a good excuse to meet up in pubs/drink some beer and watch MLS/USL/international matches. The main thing is having fun, but you never know what supporters groups can grow into -- just look at the Sons of Ben.

8. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    As far as organizing a supporters' group goes: I'd like to see it happen. PDL plays a short season and I'm getting married this summer, so I'll have to miss a few games, but if we can get eight or ten folks who will show up every game and be unselfconscious enough, or drunk enough, to sing, we can get this to happen.

If you're interested in being a part of a Metros supporters club, post below. We'll see if we can manage this.

9. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, a Metros supporter club... Sounds interesting. I must admit I'm out of state now but regularly visit many times a year. If this ever snowballed into something big, I'd join. At the very least, this might help the Metros average a few more fans in the stands for the next year or so.

10. normal molly

normal molly New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    I'm definitely down for a Metros supporters club. As the other person getting married this summer, I'd have to miss a few games too, but yeah, I'm definitely in.

11. Lefty1984

Lefty1984 New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd WOULD be down, however I have to depart to Ft. Bragg. I pledge my future allegiance to the supporters club.

On a side note, any Nashville area viewing parties for the US game on Wednesday?

12. nickknx865

nickknx865 New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Knoxville, Tennessee
  13. futbolitico87

futbolitico87 Member

May 11, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about?

• Knoxville of Graceland FC
    • AFC of Knoxville
    • Knoxville Sport Club
    • Marble FC (city nickname The Marble City)
    You make the judge guys enjoy!:rolleyes:

14. nickknx865

nickknx865 New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Took that logo and made this jersey

[​IMG]

15. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Metros ownership would love to have a supporters club making some noise at the matches. I can't be down there with you as I'll be up in the pressbox stand doing work. Even a small group of fans with drums and chanting would make a difference. Just stake out one of the stands behind one of the goals maybe and have at it.

16. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    OK. Let me just say this: If any city in Tennessee gets an MLS franchise, PLEASE do not call it the "Tennessee Whatevers". If it's in Nashville, it should be the "Nashville Whatevers".

BTW it will never happen in Memphis - this city is dying and no one cares enough to heal it.

17. Lefty1984

Lefty1984 New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would have to be called "Tennessee" so that it draws fans from all over the state. I.E. "Tennessee Titans." It is a smart move and purely marketing strategy. People who have never lived in Nashville or Memphis would still be included. It is essential to include as many people under the "name umbrella" because the population of this state is so spread out.
    As far as Memphis goes, it furthers my point. People treat Memphis like it's the redheaded stepchild of Tennessee. It's not my personal opinion, but I know people who feel that way....it's strange but true.

18. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think naming a team after a city versus a region just depends on where the club plays. An average size state like Tenn with a relatively high population spread out everywhere would do well to use the name "Tennessee." Calling it Nashville FC, Memphis Blues, or Pigeon Forge United really cuts down on identifying with over half your potential fan base. It's an unfortunate thing in the state that there are so many vocal people from Nashville and Memphis that always rag on each other. The state would be stronger if they didn't.

19. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The old St. Louis NASL team was called the Stars, but it works much better for you guys. We didn't really have a connection to the name. Your flag makes it work.

20. Lefty1984

Lefty1984 New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So should we open a thread on the Metros? Or continue to post in this thread about upcoming matches? I'm new to this so I'm not gonna be the one who does it lol.

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Where would you put it? "Soccer in the USA"?:confused:

It's not "Expansion" "MLS" "USL" "College" "Amateur" or "Indoor"

22. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Billy, the Nashville Metros play in the PDL, which is USL. So that's probably the proper place to put it.

23. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a Metros board (as well as all of the USL-1, USL-2 and a bunch of other PDL sides) over on usldiscussions.com.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thnaks - I knew they were PDL. I just did not realize PDL was part of USL :eek:

25. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007

Thanks for letting folks know.

USLdiscussions.com being for people who are already keen on USL, I think we need a thread on Big Soccer, which is after all the 900 pound gorilla of soccer discussion forums.

Here's a link to a new Nashville Metros & Middle Tennessee Soccer Supporters Comprehensive Discussion: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14215081