NASCAR Nextel Cup Thread 2006 [R]

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5263552

Toyota to join NASCAR starting in 2007.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5261296

Put these two stories together, and do you have the Car of Tomorrow starting in 2007?

Would teams switch over to Toyota if they had to build 30 cars for 2007, then turn around and build 30 new Cars of Tomorrow in 2008 or 2009? Or can you just reskin a Chevy chassis to be a Toyota? Even if you could, the aero would be different and you would want to redo suspensions, so you might as well have built the car from the bottom-up anyway.

2. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Re: Nascar 2006

It is not a big suprise with Toyota pulling out of the IRL a season early.

There is actually an error in Fox's article. Toyota will not be the first manufacturer to compete in NASCAR. Jaguar was. They even had a win.
    http://www.jayski.com/stats/2005/manu2005.htm#ALL
    Scroll about half way down the page to see the list of wins my make of car.

From what I had understood, the COT is going to be pretty much a spec racer with minor changes allowed by each manufacturer to the nose of the car and quarter window. These will be minor changes not like the radically different look of the Dodge Charger NASCAR and Charger street car. So to change manufacturers would be just needing their approved nose piece and changing the engine block.

Also, Michael Waltrip is now driving for his own team, not Bill Davis Racing. The team will be Waltrip-Jasper and have a contract with BDR for engines and chassis for now. The connection to Jasper will give the #55 the coveted 35th place in points as it will assume the #77's team points position from 2005.

3. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASCAR Nextel Cup Thread 2006

Tony Stewart comes off a relatively dominant season in winning his second Cup, can he do it again? Big questions with Bobby Labonte leaving for the 43 car - although Labonte has struggled mightly in the past few seasons, he always had the talent, if not the determination to win.

With JJ Yeley coming into the 18 car, Tony gets a driver with the determination, if not the talent to win. Should be an interesting season, and it may answer some questions about how important teammates are in NASCAR.

Rookie of the year candidates go to Clint Boywer, Denny Hamlin, David Stremme, Martin Truex, Brent Sherman, Reed Sorenson, and JJ Yeley.

Gotta figure the favorites going into the season are Hamlin (due to his amazing and unexpected run in the 11 car last year) and Truex, if DEI comes back into the form that they've enjoyed since Junior's rookie season in 2000.

We're only a few weeks away from the Busch Clash (Bud Shootout), any predictions for the upcoming season?

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: NASCAR Winston (Nextel) Cup Thread 2006

Is Toyota racing this year or are they still just racing trucks?

5. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just trucks for '06. They will launch Busch and Cup in 2007.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike

Is there any word on who will be driving Toyotas or which teams will be fielding Toyotas?

Oh yeah...

During yesterday's FOX NFL game, Troy mentioned something about his team (96 Texas Instruments?). Anyhoo is that team starting off in Busch or hitting the Cup this year?

7. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure if anybody has announced, as it would severely hamper their relations with their current automakers.

I know two seasons ago, Bill Davis held talks with Toyota and as a result, they were cut off completely by Dodge/Chrysler.

8. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa

i'm sure the WTN will love watching foreign cars. what's next? a beer other than bud or coors?

9. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo

I am sure 12,000 Toyota factory employees in Kentuck, Missouri, West Virginia, and Wisconsin would not be too much bothered. Also, they've raced their pickups in the Craftsman Truck series for years.

Back in the 80's I thought a Volvo might have been interesting in NASCAR. Despite their boxy look, they were supposed to be very aerodynamic.

10. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

Does the Ford Fusion start this year or next?

11. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fusion is on track this season

12. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
  13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

From an AP article:

Not much, but it's a start. There's also something about Harvick being unhappy with Childress, and how there's rumors about the timing of his possible leaving with Toyota coming aboard in '07.

===

And I will be at the Bud 'Start drinking at 9 a.m. because the beer is cheaper than the soda' Shootout when it rolls around. Daytona's only like 3 hours from here.

14. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA

Toyota will have Michael Waltrip Racing (Waltrip-Jasper), Bill Davis Racing and Team Red Bull (will be #83) for their first teams in 2007.

15. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, big talk around the industry yesterday and today about Harvick coming onboard with Toyota in 07. Would be a huge coup for them.

Also, 24 Hours of Daytona is this weekend, among the cup participants

Tony Stewart
    Wally Dallenbach
    Casey Mears

And, get this, Rusty Wallace is co-driving with Jan Lammers, Allan McNish, and... yes, that's right, DANICA PATRICK.

I hope Patrick is driving last because I want to make sure everybody gets a turn with the car before she totals it :rolleyes:

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Feh. When does the German Touring Car Championship start up again? Now THAT'S racing.

17. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Even Aussie V8's are better than NASCAR, but its what we've got :)

Watkins Glen and Sears Point are fun

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike

Wow this whole Toyota thing is really polarizing NASCAR fans ain't it? Many are saying it's un-American and yet another example of how NASCAR is changing from the "good ol' days" and selling out.

I am all for it. As long as they play by the rules just like Chevy, Dodge, and Ford, then I say bring it on!

19. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I count myself amongst the most old school of NASCAR fans, hating this next generation of PR drivers.

But this Toyota thing isnt seperating the old school from the new school fans. Its seperating the bigots from the fans, and its kind of sickening.

20. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

I'm actually looking forward to seeing new engines/makes in NASCAR. I always thought Dodge would be able to give Chevy a run for their money, but no (real) luck there.

It'll be interesting to see which tracks their engines blow on first.

21. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

High attrition during the 24 Hours.

Dixon/Mears/Wheldon win the overall (DP) group, surviving a black flag for avoidable contact with about 15 minutes to go. New distance record for the race. All in all, not a bad race.

Wheldon wins the Indy 500 and the Rolex 24 in the span of 8 months. Somebody needs to get him a good ride for the Daytona 500 :)

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Moved to Automotive.

23. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA

Why was this and other auto racing threads moved to automotive? These are sports and were deserving to be in the 'Other Sports' thread. Actually 'auto racing' deserves its own thread in the 'Other Sports' section.

24. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think its because this forum was originally intended as automotive/motorsports. But rather than shoehorn it in as another sports subforum it was given the "automotive" title so that it could run the bredth of car related topics, from streetcar discussion to repair, to motorsports.

25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NASCAR Nextel Cup Thread 2006

I don't mind Toyota coming in at all.
    Life is change.