Napoli vs The Arsenal: December 11, 2013.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by R9Kevinr9, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaaaaaar me nowwwwww! Keep the references going yall!

2. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    42945014.jpg

.:D;)

Dage repped this.
  3. frednmethod

frednmethod Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Even though I'm usually a proponent of going all-out against strong teams regardless of fatigue, I really do think in this case either one of Ozil or Ramsey could do with a break. I'm not talking about a full squad rotation, but just a break for some of our players who might be too gassed out to make an impact in the Man City game if they are played another 90 minutes at Naples. The two games are less than 48 hours apart if I remember correctly, and the above two players have been playing two games every week since the int'l break. And what's more, I really do think we can retain 1st place without going full-strength. Napoli is missing Hamsik and they weren't so formidable the last time around with him either. This might sound arrogant but the worst outcome I can think of us getting (even with a semi-full strength squad) is a draw.

Plus, Dortmund is missing about half their players (including all their starting CMs including Gundogan, Sahin and Bender). IMO they are likely to either draw or lose against Marseille, which would allow us to retain 1st place unless Napoli beats us by 3 goals or more.

4. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet on this:

-----------------------Chesney-------------------
    Jenkinson---------BFG------KOS--------Gibbs
    --------------------Flamini---Arteta-------------
    ------Ramsey--------Ozil-----------Rosicky----
    ------------------------Giroud--------------------

This would be the exact same lineup we used at the Emirates in perhaps our fineist performance of the year -- the first half against Napoli in October (sole exception in Jenkinson for the injured Sagna). I think that Wenger will prefer a Flamini Arteta pairing to hold the midfield together. The left side to me is the real question as the Gibbs/Monreal and Rosicky/Santi options could go either way. I tend to favor Monreal's defense to that of Gibbs (and would prefer Monreal get the start) but I think Wenger likes the flexibility Nacho brings as a sub and I also think Wenger will also want to give Santi a rest before the weekend.

I doubt Theo will start this one but could certainly see him starting on the right against City with Ramsey shifting back to his more favored middle role in lieu of either Arteta or Flamini.

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    id drop Özil and Ramsey for this match.

DutchCane repped this.
  6. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think they will play:

Flamini Arteta
    Wilshere Cazorla Rosicky
    Giroud

With the same back line from the Everton match.

LAgooner05 repped this.
  7. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the predictions which fail to include Ozil and Ramsey for this match are really out on a limb. Ramsey has been our best player all year and Ozil has started every league and CL match since his acquisition and now -- in our last CL group match IN ITALY with CL advancement on the line you want to sit one or both of them? Not a chance. Certainly the City match on the weekend is important but it pales in comparison to this match. Barring injury both Ramsey and Ozil will be on the pitch at matchtime tomorrow -- no doubt.

blueguitar322 repped this.
  8. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #33 ArsenalJake, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Ramsey had 12 days off during the Nov international break. He came back into the squad and didn't miss a beat. I do not expect Wenger to rest him because he shouldn't need to.

Özil is the one who could use a break, and I expect him to get one on Boxing day at West Ham, and another vs Cardiff on Jan 1, just prior to the Spurs game. he's not used to playing through the holidays, but he is used to being called upon for massive games.

9. ptpab

ptpab Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Montana
    If the yellow pennies worn during training are for starters, We'll see the same lineup as Everton except Monreal in for Gibbs.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he looked tired on Sunday.

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This. Ramsey needs a break. Twelve days off three weeks ago doesn't really help.

DaPrince84 and Tonerl repped this.
  12. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and if we lose 1:0 while not starting Ramsey and Ozil and draw Bayern Munich in the next round I'm sure those of you advocating resting them will continue to agree it was a good decision to rest our top 2 players this year in arguably our most important match to date. (or worse lose 3:0 and fail to advance). If Wenger wanted to rest them he would have done so against Hull or Everton -- not in this match.

Ramsey did not have his best match but I didn't think he looked tired necessarily -- just a bit off his game. It happens. He also did get to rest for the last 25 minutes of the match.

blueguitar322 repped this.
  13. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. This is the risk. I'd much rather play Bayer Leverkusen, Olympiakos, Zenit St. Petersburg, etc. than Bayern/Barca/Real/PSG.

FWIW I concur. Although admittedly the line between fatigued and off-form is blurry.

14. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does the fact that City rested Toure, Aguero, Kompany (still returning from injury), and Negredo (for most of the game) change the rotational calculus at all? The fact that City won despite those four sitting puts them in perfect position ahead of Saturday's fixture. Although if Richards is out, that's good news for us.

I still think that Wenger will start the full A-team, and I still believe that's the right course of action, but the challenge on Saturday just grew. Hopefully we can bag two quick goals and pull Ozil, Ramsey, etc at half.

15. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    He rested them because City was never going to win the group.

We can.

They also have about 100m worth of players on the bench. We don't we have to hope our boys make it through the next few weeks and that Ox, Theo, Podolski, etc. can get heathly so we can really rotate later.

16. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see Arsene putting anything else but a full "A" squad. If he did it for Hull,he'll do it for Napoli.

ptpab and Count Number repped this.
  17. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played Nik fvcking Bendtner against Hull.

Jeebus Christ that was not a 'full "A" squad'.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I forgot about him. He did score though, so I guess my mind remembered it as someone else. I guess I was more thinking Ozil and Ramsey. I can't see either sitting for this one.

19. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my mind, this game is more important than the weekend game. I say go with the strongest lineup that makes sense. There are opportunities to rotate. For example, we can use Rosickys experience and Theos speed in what is sure to be an open game.

20. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  21. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The early verdict from Wenger:

22. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like to revisit this post once every winter in hopes that it will bring us luck.

-apoc- repped this.
  23. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Boogie_Down and Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  24. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    let's hope there's no trouble tonight. napoli are walking on thin ice at the minute with regard to fan behaviour. 700 arsenal fans expected tonight and apparently it's "airport-game-airport" marshalling by the italian police.

25. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's really unfortunate.