Napoli v Genoa (Away)

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by CuorreAzzurro, Sep 2, 2009.

1. CuorreAzzurro

CuorreAzzurro Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Comm. All'Estero
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    still two weeks away with the INT fixtures but this is gonna be a huge one, important to keep to winning ways, against a direct rival for the 3-6 positions on the table & also only one of two teams (other being Ancona) where we have a strong gemellagio off the pitch!

Best Formation IMO

De Sanctis

Campagnaro Santacroce Contini
    (c)
    Maggio Cigarini Gargano Datolo
    Hamsik

Lavezzi
    Quagliarella

Probable formation to follow...

2. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genoa hasn't been that good so far, they've been winning but it hasn't really been great football like last season. I'm hoping you guys come away with the 3 points.

3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Besides Inter and Juve, Genoa is the most well built squad in italy. The stutered against Roma and still came away with 3 points. I only Moretti's goal vs. Atalanta. This will be a huge test for Napoli. Genoa have had our number for years

4. NapoliNewJersey

NapoliNewJersey New Member

Aug 13, 2006
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. Genoa is a scary team to go up against. The only thing giving me hope is that we are just as good. But still, we're away and we still need to get our team to play better.

5. CuorreAzzurro

CuorreAzzurro Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Comm. All'Estero
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL :D Hey thats easy for you to say being a Juventus supporter Buffon,Cannavaro, Grosso, Diego etc. But for us they are on equal terms and a daunting task....

6. vesuvio11

vesuvio11 New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    MONTREAL
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    You like the City Stars? They really suck...Montreal wins hands down saturday...I think napule will cause a surprise at the Marassi...

7. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Stupid international quals. If we can tie them I think we're in the Europe range. I consider their whole squad capable of getting 4th place.

8. ForzaNapoli1980

ForzaNapoli1980 New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Serie A Preview: Genoa - Napoli

The Grifoni will be looking to maintain their perfect start to the season when they host the Partenopei on Sunday night...

Sep 11, 2009 11:00:35 AM

Bosko Jankovic - Napoli-Genoa - Serie A (Grazia Neri
    Kick-Off: Sunday, September 13, 20:45 CET.
    Stadio Luigi Ferraris, Genova

Picking Up Where They Left Off

After confirming their opening day victory over Roma with a tough win away to Atalanta, Genoa will be delighted with the manner in which they have got their Serie A campaign underway. Despite struggling in Bergamo in recent times, the Grifoni displayed their ability to grind out a result, and this will certainly give them confidence for the season ahead.

Given their new strike partnership of Sergio Floccari and Hernan Crespo are still yet to feature together in the league, it seems the Rossoblu have enough strength in depth this season to battle on three fronts. With Gian Piero Gasperini sticking to his favoured 3-4-3 formation, Genoa have proven they are a match for anyone over the last 12 months, and despite losing a number of big names over the summer, it looks likely they will remain a key player in Serie A this year.

As they prepare to welcome Napoli on Sunday, the Grifoni will be aware of the attacking threat the visitors boast with Fabio Quagliarella already up and firing. Considering the yo-yo manner in which they ousted Roma on the opening day, Gasperini will certainly want to take fewer risks against the Azzurri. Given their home form, the Rossoblu will be confident they can chalk up what would be an impressive third victory, and stay firmly at the summit of the standings.

Proving Themselves On The Road

The Partenopei bounced back from their opening day defeat to Palermo with an impressive display of attacking flair on Matchday 2. With their key players starting to gel together, it seems Napoli have a great arsenal in the form of Ezequiel Lavezzi, Marek Hamsik and Quagliarella. The manner in which Donadoni’s men took Livorno apart a fortnight ago will give the Azzurri confidence that they really are a side to be reckoned with this year.

Looking back to last year, Napoli’s season fell flat on the grounds of their away form. Should Donadoni’s side make a serious challenge for the Champions League places, then this is an area they must address if they are to have any chance come the spring. Given the manner in which the Grifoni have fared since their return to the top flight, the Azzurri may well look at Sunday’s opposition for insight on how to grind out results on the road.

As the Partenopei prepare to travel north, they will be well aware of the numerous attacking options Gasperini has at his disposal. After having already lost to a direct Euro-rival on the opening day, Donadoni will want his side to learn from their mistakes and play a more controlled game at the Marassi. Should the Azzurri manage to keep it tight, they have the ability to strike a killer blow and claim a precious three points.

FORM GUIDE

Genoa

August 30 v Atalanta (A) – WON 1-0 (Serie A)

August 27 v Odense (A) – DREW 1-1 (Europa League)

August 23 v Roma (H) – WON 3-2 (Serie A)

August 20 v Odense (H) – WON 3-1 (Europa League)

August 13 v Villarreal (A) – WON 2-1 (Pre-season)

Napoli

August 30 v Livorno (H) – WON 3-1 (Serie A)

August 23 v Palermo (A) - LOST 2-1 (Serie A)

August 16 v Salernitana (H) - WON 3-0 (Coppa Italia)

August 11 v Racing Santander (H) – DREW 1-1 (Pre-season)

August 8 v West Ham United (A) – WON 1-0 (Bobby Moore Trophy)

TEAM NEWS

Genoa

Gian Piero Gasperini is set to stick with the favoured 3-4-3 formation that has proved extremely versatile so far. The coach will have to make do without Salvatore Bocchetti, Bosko Jankovic, Ivan Juric and Raffaele Palladino, who are all nursing injuries. It is still unclear whether Hernan Crespo and Sergio Floccari will be reintroduced to the starting line-up following their recent injury setbacks.

Probable Starting XI (3-4-3): Amelia; Biava, Moretti, Papastathopoulos; Criscito, Zapater, Milanetto, Rossi; Sculli, Figueroa, Palacio

Napoli

Roberto Donadoni has no selection issues following the international break and is set to confirm the side that brushed aside Livorno a fortnight ago. The former Italy coach will look to dominate the Grifoni with his five man midfield.

Probable Starting XI (3-5-2):
    De Sanctis; Contini, Cannavaro, Campagnaro; Datolo, Hamsik, Cigarini, Gargano, Maggio; Lavezzi, Quagliarella

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Marco Amelia (Genoa)

In what looks set to be a testing game for both keepers, it will be interesting to see if the former Palermo man can produce a match winning performance and help maintain the Grifoni’s perfect start to the campaign. After falling down the pecking order with La Nazionale, the Roman will be eager to perform this season in the build up to South Africa 2010.

Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli)

After an explosive league debut at the San Paolo in Matchday 2, the Neapolitan certainly displayed he is in fine form following his switch from Udinese. After having only featured as a substitute during the recent international break, ‘QuagliaGol’ will certainly be fresh to put in another man of the match performance, and push his hometown club to what could be a priceless away victory.

PREDICTION

Given the manner in which the Grifoni have begun their Serie A campaign, it is hard to see past another home victory as Gasperini’s side continue where they left off last season. Despite Napoli’s convincing victory over Livorno a fortnight ago, it remains to be seen whether the Partenopei can set the game alight to equal effect away from the San Paolo.

Big Big Game this one....would be great to get a win but i think a draw is a good result

9. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    a draw would be a good result...but I'd like to see us push for a win...a win would sent us into OVERDRIVE!...

FORZA NAPOLI!

10. CuorreAzzurro

CuorreAzzurro Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Comm. All'Estero
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    X2 theres no reason why Genoa should beat us besides the slight advantage of being at home we are on par with them! Forza Nostro Guerrieri! :D

11. Napoli73

Napoli73 New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Should be a great game...glad its on TV (Rai International)

12. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Datolo and Zuniga left off the list...could this mean we're going with a 4 man back?

13. CuorreAzzurro

CuorreAzzurro Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Comm. All'Estero
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no the strapping young buck that is Salva Aronica will be running up and down the left, youd think that Rullo or even Grava would be the way to go! :rolleyes:

14. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    how about Donadoni on the left....

15. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok! I"m stoked!!! Let's do this boys!!!!!

Forza napoli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

16. NapoliNewJersey

NapoliNewJersey New Member

Aug 13, 2006
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This game is on FSC too. My first real tv game this year other than the Salernetana game for the Coppa Italia.

Also did you guys know that ESPN360 now works with Comcast, not just Verizon. I know that was a topic last year.

Anyway, I'm sick about Aronica starting ... BTW Maninni scored another goal today ... good job Marino, we're left sarting an LB at LW against a top 4 contender.

1 hour and 15 minutes can't com soon enough.. Forza Napoli

17. DonDiNapoli

DonDiNapoli Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like we have a ref on our side tonight!! Nice tackle from Criscito lmao!!!!

18. DonDiNapoli

DonDiNapoli Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This game is gonna be nasty. Loads of cards, plenty of stoppage time and more than enough tears from the Genoa players.

19. DonDiNapoli

DonDiNapoli Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hamsik Goal on 43mins!!!

20. ForzaNapoli1980

ForzaNapoli1980 New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    anyone with a working stream????????

21. DonDiNapoli

DonDiNapoli Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    forget what i said before about the ref being on our side.... he's a fcukin retard.

Campangnaro with a red card for defending!!

22. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Referee likes giving out cards

1-1 Flocarri

Both sides at 10 men, second half should be interesting

23. DonDiNapoli

DonDiNapoli Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If lega calcio has any shame they never going to let this clown ref a game again. I knew a Napoli red card was coming as soon as I saw the replay of the Criscito red card. He knows he gave a soft one and it was just a matter of time before we got the pay back. It was a perfect opportunity to send Campagnaro off and tie the game

25. CuorreAzzurro

CuorreAzzurro Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Comm. All'Estero
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Absolute ********ing bullshit call, another bad decision ********s us up, my old man keeps saying we should cancel the italian channel rai, this ref has no ********en idea and the lega dont care either, campagnaro was fouled my sculli, campagnar is shown a straight red to even things up, what evening things up it should be a fair balanced judgement not because you now want 10 v 10, ******** this gemellagio too, there a dirty cheating team, did u see the genoa fans after Criscito's send off run down to yell and spit at Quagilarella ******** GENOA, ODIO LO CAPOLISTA!!!!