Napoli or Avellino?

Discussion in 'Italy: Southern Clubs' started by Melito Irpino, Feb 17, 2007.

1. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    My great-grandfather came from Ariano Irpina...when I was younger, I chose Napoli as my club b/c I knew he left Italy from the port in Naples...what I didn't know at that time was that Avellino had a club...

I have stuck w/Napoli through thick and thin...and I always give a check on Avellino to see how they fare...As usual, I hope they are able to stay in Serie B...but Napoli is my club and I will not change...

2. ScunizzoNapoletano

ScunizzoNapoletano New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Letino, Caserta
    JJF is right about Juventus. I Don't think the people in Milan are that racist either though, they have worse problems due to the fashion industry LOL! but the people and part of Italy I dislike are Friullani, I know for a fact that they are stuck up and look down on us because I went out with a few Friullani women before. Gli Friulani sono tutti Malacavatta.

3. NAPOLIUSA

NAPOLIUSA Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Trenton,New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually JJF you do have a point about juve. They are in the north but could have been founded in the South just as easyily. So bad example on my part. As far as Ferrara and co. go. Well, they didn't go up there for any reason other than to make a living. After so many good seasons w/ a club it's only natural that a player will become attached. Ask some Verona fans what they think of us.

4. Melito Irpino

Melito Irpino Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Corona, CA
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Melito Irpino is just a couple miles from Ariano. When I went to visit my cousins in Melito, we went to Ariano a couple of times for pubs and resturants since Ariano is a much bigger town. Have you ever been there?

Its interesting that since my cousins are about 30 miles from Avellino and 60 from Naples that they root for AC Milan, but do pull for both Napoli and Avellino also but are not hardcore fans of either. My grandparents used to say that my grandfather was Napolitano, but when I asked my cousins who live there and they say "Non siamo napolitano, non siamo avellinesse, siamo Melitese!!" So now I say "Sono Melitese" anche.

5. NAPOLIUSA

NAPOLIUSA Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Trenton,New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm all about supporting your local team but, good luck finding a team in Melito Irpino. LOL

6. il direttore

il direttore New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Avellino (Italy)
    Avellino became great during the Seventies, when reached Serie B and finally Serie A, where stayed until 1987/88.
    Until this time, many people from Avellino and his area (Irpinia), not so passionate in soccer to support his own local team, OF COURSE liked Napoli or northern teams as Juventus or Milan or Inter.
    But real TIFOSI always are been only fans of Avellino.
    Derbies played in Serie A were quite fierce, bur correct.
    Roots of 2003 were done by a group of violents coming from Naples and hating Police such as Football League. I was there, and I assure you it was terrific.
    Avellino met Naples again in Serie C in 2005 and beat them 2-1 with a goal of a neapolitan striker, Raffaele Biancolino.
    This time relationships became not so friendly: Biancolino had his car fired/destroyed for a bomb, had menaces from Napoli ULTRAS. Above all, Napoli did not accept the defeat.
    The real Avellino supporter is not for any other team, neither for Napoli.

Please visit Avellino Supporters Community at www.pianetabiancoverde.it

7. Hoops10

Hoops10 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Frisco, Salerno
    You don't choose a club, it chooses you. I was born in a small town called Calvanico, just north of Salerno, but moved to USA when i was 2. I support Salernitana because thankfully I haven't been corrupted by this bullshit "support the bigger clubs and the better players" idea and my family are Salernitani through and through.

But... since I live in the US and am not able to go back to Italia (yet!) I travel to FC Dallas games (an hour and thirty minutes away) because I love the sport and they are the closest team.

I support the one club I was born to support, Salernitana. Everyone else can suck it. :D:p

8. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was born and raised in New Jersey in the US. My family is from the south the Campania region. My mom's dad was born in Salerno,My dad's dad's parents came from Avellino and my dad's mom's family is Neopolitian/Sicilian. But, I'm a die hard Inter supporter. I became an Inter die hard when Ronaldo was signed by them in 97-98. Before then I never really had a favorite Italian club. Also since no one in my family except my Uncle who is from Marina di Ragusa,Sicily was a soccer fan he pretty much introduced me to the sport loved Inter because of his dad. To this day we both bleed Black n Blue! I also have a soft spot for Salernitana since my Grandfather was born there.

william6 and 3 quaters repped this.