Napoli News Thread part 2

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by indestructible, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    I understand. Still, I think it is not wise to emulate them solely because they have been winning. If we want to beat them we need to do it our way, as it is not too probable that we will successfully be just as lucky as them.

2. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think we showed "fear" at all. We beat Liverpool at home. We should have beaten PSG at home as well except for a late PSG equalizer. We got a draw in Paris. The only real game we played poorly in with the four was away to Liverpool.

The whole talk about mentality is a cop out. Funny these things only get talked about after the fact. All it is is an excuse and a way to try and rationalize what happen.

Liverpool won the Champions League. They were flat out better than us and they showed it. It wasn't a mentality issue, it was a talent issue.

PSG was better than us.

It's silly to say that one team had mentality (ie Liverpool) and we did not; It's silly to discuss. You can't talk about losing concentration against the smaller teams when the team that won the champions league LOST to Red Star while we drew with them.

3. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    The last one was decisive, therefore it had brought with itself a different cloud of emotions.

I get what you're trying to say and partially I can agree with you, but I wonder if you have ever played football in your life?
    I remember when I was younger and I played for my city, there were games in which we turned around solely because I could rely on my teammates to not lose their heads and vice versa. When you were 3 goals down and there were scared or without belief, it was immediately recognizable and the chances were great that you had lost your chance to win. I remember this perfectly and I still experience it today, so I cannot agree that it does not have a certain degree of tangibility through which it manifests itself, such as a lack of concentration and determination which in turn lead to silly losses of the ball, absent-minded reactions, poor shots, and so on and so forth...

4. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I played up until High School. Tho I don't see the relevance of the question.

I'm not saying those things don't exist..........the lack of concentration and determination. I'm just making the argument that's not why Napoli lost a game that in all likelihood they were always going to lose.

Liverpool lost a grand total of zero games at home last season. They only had two draws at home in the EPL.

Isn't it more likely that Liverpool was just the better team vs a lack of mentality?

All of those things tho that are mentioned.........the lack of concentration, the lack of determination, losing the ball, poor shots etc etc..........bad teams tend to do that stuff.

I like the New York Red Bulls............but honestly every time they have a lead I'm on pins and needles because they just look so shaky in defense holding onto a lead.

I don't get that feeling with Napoli. I believe if we have a lead we'll hold onto it. And for the most part in the past few years, we have.

5. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    It is relevant because people do not really change as much as they seem to have changed, for they change on the surface yet the animal within is much more difficult to remonstrate against.

It may be that you are correct and there was a bottomless chasm between the two teams last season, a statement that surely does not correlate well with that which people at least here thought back then, as English teams were viewed as weaker, with which opinions I disagreed.

However, my conclusion would be that perhaps it's a concoction of more issues. The quality of the team, if I remember correctly, was enough to give Juve one hell of a fight, which was certainly enough to at least show sth against Liverpool. Yet in the decisive game, we could have lost 5-0.

After further contemplation I think we have both exaggerated our points. The mental realm did not necessarily influence the events of last season as much as I had claimed, while the difference in quality may not have been as dismal as you have painted it.

However, I still maintain that the issue of mentality is a real one and that we have grown in that respect, though it may not have been as decisive as I have claimed.

6. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Carlo's reaction to DL's words and more(this one from the official Napoli website is better than the one(s) published elsewhere):
    Carlo Ancelotti opened his press conference ahead of Saturday's game against Verona by addressing questions about Aurelio De Laurentiis' recent comments.

On Thursday the president denied rumours of a falling out between himself and the coach, adding that he would like Ancelotti to remain at the club for another 10 years.

“De Laurentiis' comments cleared up the rubbish we've heard people saying about us," the boss began. "We have an excellent relationship and I'm very happy here.

“What the president said came from the heart. I'm pleased he has confidence in me and I'm also happy he cleared up some of the rumours that have been going around in the last few days.

“What matters now is that we look forward and get back to winning again. We have a very important game tomorrow which gives us the chance to pick up three points and get going again.

The coach went on to discuss Lorenzo Insigne: “The situation with Lorenzo is not at all complicated. He made an excellent start to the season then he had a dip in form and I decided to rest him. He's a key player when he's relaxed, happy and able to fire up the team as he does so well. He's less effective when he's on edge because he's not able to express his full potential.”

On the Italian watching the Genk game from the stands: “That sort of thing can happen during the course of a season. I didn't think he looked sharp in training and I decided that was best – a strong decision perhaps but it's all cleared up. I repeat, Insigne is a hugely important player for us.”

Do you think the recent criticism has been over the top?

“I think it's been criticism without a reason. If I were a newcomer to this world, I might get angry, but I know how things work in football. We played some very good games at the start and showed how good we are by beating Liverpool.

“It hurt to lose to Cagliari, especially as it was undeserved. But to be quite honest I haven't seen this lull in performances that I've heard people talking about.”

There's been lots of talk about Hirving Lozano too. What do you think is his best position?

“The position he's played in least so far – centre forward. We didn't have a player like him in our squad. He's a player who goes for goal and is good at making runs in behind. He needs to get used to Italian football and the team need to get used to his movement.”

Do you expect the team to respond to the criticism?

“I expect to see a big performance tomorrow. I've never doubted the quality of my squad. We may have lacked a bit of character at times, but that's the sort of thing we can improve by working as a team. You can't change the attitude of a single player, but you can change and strengthen the team's mentality.”

Are you going to make changes against Verona?

“I'm not going to tell you our line-up, only that we must return to winning ways. I need to assess the fitness of the lads who were away on international duty, bearing in mind that those who stayed here trained really well.”

Could Arek Milik start the game?

“Up until now Arek is one of the few players who hasn't played much because he was injured at the start of the season. I've heard it said that I haven't used him enough but that's not my fault. He's fine now and I think he'll contribute going forward.”

Do you feel the San Paolo faithful have been a little cold?

“No. I look at the facts and the way they got behind us at the end against Brescia. I think we'll see the same support tomorrow.”

Do you agree with the security decree and the restrictive stadium measures?

“Definitely, not just at the San Paolo but everywhere. Things are improving a little but the authorities must remain alert. There's a general raising of awareness – regarding racism too. Once upon a time it was brushed off as 'just messing around', but we've always said it's something we must fight.”

How are you preparing for tomorrow's match? What will you say to the team?

“We're all aware that we must win. It's not a matter of life or death but it does mean a lot to us and I know the team will produce the sort of reaction we need.”

7. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Hamsik is coming back to Naples for the game against Atalanta. The agent is hoping the club will have prepared sth for the occasion. I wonder.

8. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is outrageous if nothing is prepared. Hamsik is one of the biggest legends. He deserves a packed stadium with two hours of standing ovation. I love that man.

Forza Marekiaro

9. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Apparently there was a small meeting on the field at Castle Volturno where ADL went on to the pitch with all the players and coaching staff to clear the air. Apparently it went very well(the result against Liverpool must've helped). The players apparently understood where the club was coming from with the training retreat after the previous results and owned up to their faults of refusing to go. ADL apparently (and I find this extremely hard to believe) apologized to the squad for the way he brought about the training retreat.

There are rumours that he told the squad we have 3 objectives. A memorable Champions League run (not really clear but I'm assuming it means a quarter final or semi-final run), winning the Coppa Italia, and making top 4.

I think we have the talent to achieve them if they work as hard as they did and with Ancelotti in Europe I genuinely believe we can actually have a memorable run.

10. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You really think all the tactical problems and shortcomings are now resolved because we managed to defend with 10 men against Liverpool and ADL said he was sorry? We need much more and I am not sure Ancelotti can deliver.

Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  11. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And it is 100% fair for you to think that. After all, our league play and results have been horrible lately. Sometimes all it takes is 1 performance or 1 result against a top team to turn the fortunes around.

12. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hope you are right but that would mean our problems were mental rather than tactical.

Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  13. Bedelcigil

Bedelcigil Member+

Aug 21, 2014
    Cyprus
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Meanwhile, it's also suggested De Laurentiis could suspend or reduce the fines if Napoli beat Genk and reach the Champions League Round of 16.

14. PrimeDona

PrimeDona Member

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Oct 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've never seen the atmosphere at San Paolo this toxic before, moans and jeers throughout the game and then loud booing at the final whistle. This is a major problem as it no doubt rubs off on the players.

15. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    They deserve it for their own stupidity and an apparent lack of humility. They have obviously forgotten that the reason they earn so much money in this business is that they can play well. The Juve players know it, the Inter players know it, damn, even the Lazio players responded well to what their president had said.

Our players? Rather than winning a goddamn game to show their worth, they feel like protesting and shit. Now Carlo himself has decided to train since Wednesday until Saturday, logically. Many people work much more hours and they can barely buy food and those ********ers have forgotten how fortunate they are, earning money they do not really deserve for working little and doing what they love. If they want to be a mid-table team then let them give the money back, because those who earn much are those who perform.

Should the fans be happy about such an approach? They may be kinda stupid sts, but they are not brain-dead.

16. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The clubs Twitter and Instagram is being flooded with Napoli fans claiming they are ashamed that Ancelotti was fired and that the club is a complete mess for firing him.

As I was saying a couple weeks ago, my family that lives in Vomero and Forcella told me their areas were never against Ancelotti (I asked them because I was genuinely curious about how they were taking this situation), they said the vast majority have turned on the players and ADL. To those who said everyone was against Ancelotti, you are thinking of only the people in USA and Canada or on this forum. In Italy and more specifically Napoli, the majority of Napoli fans wanted Ancelotti to stay. That is also why in today's game there were fans with posters saying they wanted Ancelotti to stay.

RichardBarker and Euphorius Thor repped this.
  17. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I actually think the Americans and Canadian all like Ancelotti.

I am talking of friends in Naples.

That everyone hates ADL and looks for excuses to attack him is a valid point.

But remember people become nostalgic.

You can go on Italian forums like tifosi di napoli and will see the majority in polls would vote for firing Ancelotti.

Also it dod not help that Ancelotti did not clarify what the issues were. Regardless the President won’t go and you can’t replace all players. We need change.

18. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    https://www.football-italia.net/147602/ancelotti-asked-napoli-stay

I am such a lost soul. I really dislike this world and especially those who earn money disproportionate to their work, but I can still feel compassion when I read an article like this. Why do I feel sorry for him when I know at the same time there is not much to feel sorry for?

PS: Have you seen the new calendar? Are we gay or what?

19. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    There is a new interview with Allan posted on the official website. Once again it contains the conviction that our team has quality parallel to a higher spot in the table, and once again it contains conviction that we will prove it.
    Hh, we may have been hit on the head with a blunt object and the stars are still orbiting our brain, but imagine the size of their stars. They must have believed truly in their quality, and here we are...

20. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    The new interview with DL is quite fun, the one on F-I. He wants to sue the referees. You just have to love how he acts like a revolutionary. XD

21. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well done Atalanta. At least Roma is not making CL.

22. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Can anybody explain to me wtf is going on with our friendlies? I checked the roster against Benevento, and we were not missing that many players. What is going on?

23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It looks like Osimhen will be back playing again sooner than expected. What a warrior!