Name the Chicago franchise?????

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by twinssoccerdad, Feb 21, 2008.

1. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Mr. Wilt ask for some ideas so let the creative juices flow. Just a few of my own ideas and some I have seen that I like.

Wind
    Union
    Towers
    Blues
    Blue Notes
    Rails
    Style

I am not sure about the Ganster idea to negative.

What else is out there?

2. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    1871 (Year of the Great Chicago Fire)
    Mob (as an alternative to Gangster...though Mob has the same issues)
    Massacre (First red star on the City of Chicago flag - Ft. Dearborn Massacre)

others?

3. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Alright, I'll throw my ideas into the ring here (I expect to be compensated should I have the winner! :) )

Chicago Syndicate (going with the Mob ties)
    Chicago Chaos
    Chicago Noise (tribute to the hustle and bustle and music)

And my first choice...

Chicago Riot (Big race riots in 1919 as well as riots after Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated in 1968 and who can forget about the Chicago Lager Beer Riots of 1855!) You could have a lot of fun with Riot, die-hard fans could be called the Rioters :)

4. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i'm with you on this one. Riot has actually been a leading contender internally for more than a year. You forgot about the two most famous Chicago riots: The 1968 Grant Park Riot during the DNC and the 1886 Haymarket Square Riot. Riots obviously have a certain negative connotation and would be unPC for many people, but the word also reflects the passion we expect from our team and our fans and all the Chicago riots also reflect the citizens efforts to create a better world.

One large stumbling block is the existence of the Chicago Riot Rugby Team: www.chicagoriotrugby.com.

When we put out the ballot next month, Riot will likely be on it though.

5. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I like the sound of Chicago Riot. I am not from Chicago so was not up on all the history. But Riot has meaning and it sounds good together.

Now if that is it you need to put some sharp colors with it. I am ready for a jersey for my girls.

6. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't like the name for two reasons. First, soccer has a history of high profile tragic and fatal fan rioting events. Among some American fans, this reputation causes soccer to be considered a sport followed by violent European thugs. So, in addition to being somewhat insensitive to real events and deaths, I think it can unnecessarily bring to the forefront an issue that doesn't put the sport in a good light. Bottom line, I don't think you can get away with calling a soccer team the "riot".

Second, I don't think non-Chicago people in general consider the various Chicago riots as being good events for the reputation of the city. It would be analogous to the Washington Bullets- the nickname unintentionally can be a lead in for reinforcing negative stereotypes about the city.

I think you could get away with it for the name of an arena football team (or a rugby team as it seems). Those sports can embrace the violent and renegade connotations of the word. For a soccer team, though, it is a little edgy for my taste.

7. lucky13dad

lucky13dad Member

May 16, 2006
    Region 2
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Riot, as well. All I've been able to come up with are:

Red Stars (for the stars on the Chicago flag)

Slaughter (in homage to the former stockyards of the "butcher to the world"; might be a bit violent)

Valkyries (no real Chi-town connection, other than I like the concept of player introductions done to the Wagner music...rather intimidating)

Fortius Chicago (looking for a connection to Chicago's Olympic bid, plus the intials end up as F.C., but it might require too much explaining)

8. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Good one. Chicago Red Stars was added to our internal list about two weeks ago. i like. We thought about "Red Stars Chicago", but it was too close to Belgrade.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Chicago Bonnanos

Since Nueva Chicago is taken you could have "Old Chicago"

Chicago 3-1-2s (optionally the Chicago 7-7-3s)

Chicago Palookas

Chicago Just Making Up The Numbers

Chicago We Won't Win Any Titles, But We Can Still Beat St. Louis FC

Midway FC

10. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter,

'Chicago Sirens'

I told you this last year...oh, I get it...let the others think ************. ;)

Right, Got it.

Either Chicago Sirens (Beautiful women on the rocks at the lakefront calling the sailors to shore with convincing accapello tunes) or The Chicago Otters (it would make a great patch)...:D

11. joanofdark

joanofdark Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    The Lanterns.

Because they didn't start the Fire.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey I like Red Star.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Barn Burners

14. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already taken.

I have the card in my walllet...

15. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top ten names that won't be used:

10) The Chicago Skeptics

9) Chicago Clorox

8) The Chicago Maids

7) Chicago Cobras - (it's taken)

6) The Chicago Butts

5) Chicago Sparrows

4) The Chicago Democracy United

3) Chicago Chicas

2) The Chicago Titties...(can I write that?!?!)

And#1

1) Chicago Firettes

Chicago Sirens is still better...

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have to agree. It works on so many levels.

17. pegasus5

pegasus5 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Midwest
    Some additional thoughts...

Breeze
    Blast
    Blaze
    Blizzard
    Flash
    Flare or Flair
    Storm
    Tempest
    Zephyr

18. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I had been trying to think of a name that has some tangental relation to Fire, and Sirens is what I came up with too - I like the meaning both ways. I'm not from Chicago so maybe the word is viewed differently there, but I can't see Riot working.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Chicago Flames WFC
    Chicago 1871 Flames
    Chicago Flames 1871
    Chicago 1871 WFC
    1871 FC
    Chicago Sparks
    Chicago Sparks FC
    Chicago Sparks WFC

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey Peter, how about if anyone's suggestion for the team name is used from BS posters, they get a free season pass to the Chicago women's team initial season? What do you think?

21. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't know if anyone has looked at the other Chicago thread but in order to help with the brainstorming of names, I'll repost what Peter said when someone asked about names "i get name proposals EVERY DAY!! Most don't fit our three criteria:
    1) non-feminine
    2) not a diminutive of the Fire
    3) should reflect the character, culture, personality and/or history of Chicago.

Maybe that will help with the brainstorming!

22. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago Sirens could actually fit the criteria...and also go completely against it...that's how diversified Sirens is.

23. style_over_power

style_over_power New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    My nine year old girl, your target audience, likes Chicago Inferno or Blaze to keep it "Fire" related.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Although I believe kids and families are an important target audience, the tailgating crowd is also important. I would like to see a mixture like what goes to Fire games, kids, families as well as the taigaters and pregame adult partyers. I'd like to see some rowdiness and fan support clubs like a Section 8 and that means adults, tons of single women and men cheering, jumping, shouting, etc. Not just kids with soccer mom and soccer dad..
    Why do people always seem to think that womens professional sports is geared to kids only? Why should the atmosphere at a WPS pregame, during game, post game, be any different than lets say at a Bears game?
    IMO if WPS is going to make it, it must include those that spend the money and that IMO is not just families but in their 20's/30/s, single crowd out there having a good time, tailgating, partying, chanting, etc..

25. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    AMEN BROTHER