Name Poll: Plan B, Final Round

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And our cheerleaders, The Viagarettes?

2. The Sasquatch

The Sasquatch New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Lancaster PA
    Well I didn't mean to start a big shpeal about it ha! I wouldn't want to have the team leave anyone feel left out of course. I just notice that a lot of our MLS supporters lean more towards the Latino style (or maybe I just say that because I go to DC United games right now and at MLS Cup the Houston fans were definitely in style with that!) which is a great energy. Just sometimes I'd rather be singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" rather than "Vamos United!"

Okay back to the point of the thread.

3. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is?

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Supporting style on Sunday was a nice hybrid with our YNWA, Four Leaf Clover, and a new Dale Philadelphia that I wrote. Along with other tunes we have written, we like both styles and will push ourselves to create originals.

5. Nessie332

Nessie332 New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for Philadelphia FC. It sounds more American to me and of all cities that are (or will be) in MLS, Philadelphia is IMHO the most American. Americans don't call a cheesesteak a Cheesesteak Philadelphia. It's a Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Why shouldn't we have a Philadelphia Footbal Club? Then we can have a variety of nicknames (some not that great, but...it's the thought that counts) like: the Constitutionals, the Mummer lovers, the Quaker Shakers, the Independence, the Stormy Kite Flyers, the Loves, etc... AC Philadelphia (or rather Associazione Calcio Philadelphia), doesn't sound Philly to me. Although it would have been cool if DC United used the AC and then they could have been ACDC! What a missed opportunity!

6. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Morning Constitutionals, the Mummer Fathers ;)

7. americanmiddy

americanmiddy New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    First off, it's a Philly Cheesesteak. No one but a poser would call it a Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Philly. get it right. Second, I think Philadelphia is the worst city for sports teams names. I mean the Phillies? BOO the Sixers? eh, The eagles (there's no eagles anywhere near philadelphia) The Flyers? eh.

So we can't mess this up. I wish we could take the Phantoms name, but the flyers minor league team has it.

8. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's your idea of a good name, I hope you aren't involved in naming this team.

9. Nessie332

Nessie332 New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope you weren't calling me a poser (posing as wha...?)! When in Philly, I don't even call it a Philly cheesesteak (duh) - it's just a cheesesteak. Outside of the Philadelphia area, I have seen it called many things (including Philadelphia-style cheesesteak). Wasn't really my point; which was that as far as the American language is concerned, Philadelphia FC would sound better than AC, AFC, or FC Philadelphia which sound a little twee to me. I'm with Bryan on the Phantoms idea...

10. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, I think I just order a steak sammich, wiz wit...

11. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I walk up to the window and say in a southern accent, "Yeah, um...uh...let's see har...gimme one uh dem...er...oh...yeah, one-a-dem thar Philadelphia Cheesysteaks y'all are so famous for...I'd enjoy that there cheezysteaks with the concoction known as Cheez Whiz. In addition, if you could be so kind as to put some fried onions on it I'd be happy as a pig in mud, yessiree."

I make friends.

12. americanmiddy

americanmiddy New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    ha, wasn't my idea for a name, just my idea if we go the cheesy nickname style route (Crew, Rapids, Galaxy)

Nessie I was just kidding with you.

Ok, forget the cheesesteaks, back to the soccer

13. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Choice #1 is Philadelphia Athletic.

But we're talking Plan "B" here. Philadelphia FC is good... but doesn't really set us apart at all.
    I'm still pulling for either Philadelphia Locomotive or Locomotive Philadelphia.

[​IMG]

14. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my first entry into Big Soccer I suggested Mummers as a nickname. It has gone by the wayside buts since we are rehashing old arguments in this forum let me state again why I think it is a good name for our team. The Mummers are all about Philadelphia, they are something that is unique to our city like cheesesteaks, Tastykakes and old sneakers hung on telephone wires. But more than what they are the Mummers are important to the city and its identity for what they represent, they are about unity, creativity, community, working class values and most of all, drinking and celebration! Now that is what we want our soccer franchise to be all about.

15. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Lionel choo-choo?

16. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget the cheesesteaks? Never. Blasphamy.

17. beLIEve10

beLIEve10 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    how bout the philadelphia bells and our nickname could be the ringers.... every fan will have a bells in hand to rattle all game. we'd easily be the loudest crowd in the league.

18. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20,000 people leaving with migraine headaches is not my idea of a good time.

19. beLIEve10

beLIEve10 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    i gotta fever and the only perscription is more cow bell...

20. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more cow dung

22. beLIEve10

beLIEve10 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    i got the the solution to all your problems. philadelphia trapezoids aka the traps....

23. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've already discussed the possibility of having a large bell be positioned near our supporters group, to be rung whenever Philadelphia scores. It'd, ideally, be a working replica of the liberty bell. Not sure if it's been brought up in the recent discussions though, but I think it'd be a happy compromise between having a good atmosphere and having a stadium full of cow bells ringing constantly.

24. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially if cows are wearing them.

25. tFrable

tFrable New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I can arrange for cows, I have connections.