Name me some small towns that don't suck

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by yellowbismark, Oct 31, 2008.

1. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of small towns and eventually want to settle in one, but I don't like small towns that are littered with big box retail and have no urban/architectural character. Their main street/downtown core should be mostly intact, and should have at least some amenity to offer (whether its good culture, nature, food, whatever) My knowledge of these places isn't there, so I'm asking people for some insight.

What are some good ones to consider?

I have two guidelines:

*Population should be less than 100,000 (preferably 30,000 - 90,000)

*They should not be a part of or be strongly associated with a large metropolitan area (so for example, they should be far enough away from any metro areas, that they could not be considered bedroom communities)

2. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Gloucester Massachusetts (my town :)
    http://www.gloucesterma.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester,_Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

Town of 35,000ish. Mostly intact downtown/main street area (they are in the process of starting to construct a mini-mall, not downtown though.)Wonderful Beaches, whale-watching, harbor sails, history (one of oldest American colonies), an art colony, seafood, an annual "fiesta" (Blessing of the fleet, carnival, St.Peter's parade) Strong ethnic/immigrant roots (first it was English, then Irish, then Finnish/Swedish, more recently there is a very strong Sicilian, Portuguese, Azorean, and Brazilian communities all of which are apparent on the towns fishermen memorial) Your nearby to other places, Salem, Essex (shipbuilding museum) A ferry to cape cod. It's a nice place (minus some of the locals :D)

(EDIT)
    The town also has had more Hollywood attention, being the Setting for Captains Courageous. it was also the setting and filming location for The Perfect Storm. The Good son and Moonlight Mile were filmed here too.

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    My old home, Asheville is one of the greats.

[​IMG]

Also, I'm a big fan of St. John's up in Canuckistan

[​IMG]

4. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    guignol repped this.
  5. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks everybody so far, these are the kinds of suggestions I was going for. I've been to Gloucester being when I was in high school, I remember it being nice. The water smelled pretty fishy though. I bought a souvenier lobster-shaped hair comb and one of those t-shirts that changes colors in the sun.

Never been to Monterey, do intend on hitting up the California coast sometime though.

Asheville looks cool, my kind of place really...but WTF is up with this baseball team name/logo?

[​IMG]

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asheville is great.

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olympia, Washington is pretty nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    [​IMG]

Any of many college towns would be worth looking at.

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I have a question. I might have a job in Wilmington, NC. My interview is next week. Other than wikipedia, I don't know much about the place. No one I know has been there so I am trying to find info from someone that has been there or lived there or at least in the area. Is Wilmington immersed with "big box retail". I know they have a boardwalk but. Is there a nice nightlife, arts/culture, etc etc???

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's expensive, but it's a great town

here's a useful link

city data

Chico CA is another good bet. college town. 90 miles from Sacramento. go see Arnold.

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Well, there are lots of tourists that come through! It's a great place to eat and drink, and the outdoor sports might are probably the best in the Southeast. The baseball teams in the other towns I lived in NC were the Crawdads and the Warthogs--no better there.

The Midwestern college towns that spring to mind are Bloomington, IN, and Madison, Wisconsin.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I lived there for a few months. There is some big box stuff like anywhere, but the downtown area is very cool and has good nightlife. There is a fairly large state school there that provides some of the best girls in that area of the country. The main beach area for Wilmington is Wrightsville Beach, which has its own nightlife and decent surfing. The Outer Banks are reasonably accessible from there as well.

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good call there on the small college towns. They tend to have the right mix of amenities that I'm looking for.

Matt,

Ithaca looks awesome. I think that's my favorite suggestion so far.

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Well then, I'm partial to Blacksburg, VA.

I've also been to Bozeman, MT once, and thought that was pretty nice. Charlottesville, VA isn't bad either.

16. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you live in El Cajon. Ithaca has different weather patterns. :)

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bozeman is great but it's apparently full of people from California. At least as recently as a year or so ago, real estate was stupid expensive, considering that it is in the middle of freakin' Montana.

18. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Yup, and Missoula is much the same.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Is this just for Americans or can anyone join in?

If you're ever visiting a small town in the NL let it be Giethoorn AKA the Venice of the Netherlands. Many houses, churches and bars are accessible only by boat.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12004/

I dare all of you to find a more picturesque town.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I live in one. :D

21. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it has Laguna Seca Raceway. Home to the most famous turn in all American road courses: the Corkscrew.

My contribution: New Bern, North Carolina. The birthplace of Pepsi-Cola. The former colonial capital of North Carolina.

[​IMG]

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    You crazy Americans. In Australia, 100,000 people is a decent sized city.

'Small town' would be a few thousand.

Ismitje repped this.
  23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Brugge can't be considered for this as your population is larger than 90,000!

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Or a 100,000, even.

25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    F***ing Bruges.