Name, Colors, Crest Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Sport Billy, Jul 20, 2020.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Want to be in the room (virtually) when we reveal our club name and crest? Just upload a pic of yourself at http://mls4thelou.com and a life-size cardboard cutout of your likeness could be in the audience at the St. Louis MLS
    reveal event on 8.13.20!
    [​IMG]
    #MLS4THELOU

3. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    SiberianThunderT and Sport Billy repped this.
  4. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Sportswriter speculation from one of the local guys in his Q&A today:

Q: When it comes to MLS4TheLou team name and colors... you've ruled out some options but I'm very interested in what your choice would be for the team name and colors for the new MLS team in St. Louis? Personally, I'd love to see the city flag colors (with yellow being the dominant color) to balance out red Cardinals, Blues, etc. Hopefully we can keep the fleur de lis in the design. Keep the name simple. Saint Louis Soccer Club. Let a nickname grow organically from there.

A: I'm pro city flag colors, but would not want yellow as the main one. Yellow as a main color is hard to pull off. Yellow doesn't look very good on very many people.
    I like City and United, but I know they are popular in other MLS cities, so something different makes sense.
    I could get behind Archers.
    I liked Kings, but can't imagine that's going to happen considering the current discussion about statues and all that.
    I know it's not Legacy. I know it's not Confluence. Those can be scratched from the list.

My emphasis: Link to Q&A (Lots of Cardinal questions though)

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...b6245addc9.html#tracking-source=breaking-live

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    She refused to rule out “Steamers” when asked directly. I really hope that’s not it. At least we’re not in Cleveland.

stlwahoo and DCW531 repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm glad "Legacy" is out.
    I'm sad that "Confluence" is out.
    I'm mad that "Steamers" and "Archers" are still in.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  7. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    I too would like a "new" name. I did enjoy the indoor Steamers back in the day, but they should stay there.

This came up later in the chat (still ongoing as i type)

• I was having some fun with Carolyn Kindle Betz about that during the interview. I don't think that will be the name. But I don't know for sure that it's not. I don't know the name!
      BenFred
      [​IMG]

• 20 minutes ago
      Surely they won’t name the MLS4THELOU team the Steamers. Right? The memes will be awful and will instantly be the laughing stock of the league.

8. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the uniforms MLS teams were wearing at the "MLS Is Back" tournament, I thought they looked very bland for the most part. Charlotte's color scheme is too similar to San Jose, Montreal, Kansas City, or Minnesota. At least Austin (green and black) and Sacramento (tan and red) are going to be distinctive when those franchises come on board.

I recommended that St. Louis incorporate all the colors of the city flag (red, yellow, blue, and white). The color combinations would be interesting and contrasting to other teams. I suggested a look like Sampdoria has on its uniforms or something similar to what the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers wore when they were in the NASL. Another possibility would be similar uniforms to what the United States men's team wore in 2006 at the World Cup in Germany (white jersey with a single vertical red and blue stripe from the shoulder to the hem with blue shorts).

Oh well, all will be revealed on the 13th. Could it be St. Louis Athletic? St. Louis Olympic? Or something totally different from what many of us are thinking?

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    #10 Sport Billy, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking something like this too.
    [​IMG]
    Instead of 2 stripes on the side of the jersey, make it 3. A yellow jersey with blue shorts and blue, red, and white stripes. Or all white uniforms with prominent display of the other 3 primary colors. Like I said, the horizontal stripes laid on top of each other like Ft. Lauderdale used to wear was both colorful and unique. To a lesser extent, Sampdoria in Serie A has red, black, blue, and white bands of color running through the mid-section of their jerseys.

Well, the picture didn't post properly for some reason. I was going for the 2006 U.S. men's uniforms they wore at the World Cup that year. I always thought those looked sharp.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But my point is, while I love the flag colors, they are not be contrasting to the rest of the league. They are the exact colors of Real Salt Lake. It sucks.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  12. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you're saying, but if the uniforms are distinctive because of their design, it doesn't matter which colors are chosen. They don't have to look bland or boring like other teams. A white jersey with red, yellow, and blue horizontal bands and black numbers would stand out in comparison to anything else worn by MLS teams.

Back in the 1980's and much of the 90's, the University of Hawaii football uniforms had white pants with blue, green, yellow, and red piping down the side of the legs. If the Rainbow Warriors wore green pants, the piping was blue, red, white, and yellow. It looked sharp and it was very distinctive from what other college teams had (Penn State and Alabama for instance...boring!).

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    #14 Sport Billy, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    I understand that. But finding a unique color combo that is relevant to the city is difficult.

King Louis was the first King to wear Blue regularly. He is why it is called "Royal Blue".
    His grandfather, Philip Augustus, created this crest:
    [​IMG]

Both the blue and the gold are different enough from Philadelphia as to be unique.

I think they'd make good colors.

SetPeace and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    How about this:
    STL.png

15. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the blue and yellow outfits look nice. Not too fond of the red one, but if the sash were yellow, white, and blue, that might work. The last one is OK too, but add narrow red and blue stripes to accent the yellow ones, which might make those stand out more, as well.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I agree.
    If I were to do it over, I'd change the sash to white and add a Blue "St. Louis" on it.
    I'd also make the diagonal design alternating red, yellow, blue.

SetPeace repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...okay, I don't like how the organization has drawn out and whif-whaffed on this whole naming thing, but they sure do know how to make a hit on social media: someone went in an designed crests for some of the most ridiculous name suggestions they got from fans a while back X-D

NGL, "Louventus" is some galaxy-brain-level gold

stlwahoo, aetraxx7 and zcanes1 repped this.
  18. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all seriousness, Lazer Snakes is so stupid that it is awesome. That would be the most unique name in pro sports. And the logo is tight.

DCW531 repped this.
  20. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the travesty that is the new Fire logo, Chicago is also wearing those colors now.

21. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    My boys are both scouts, they are devastated Trash Pandas are out of the running.

But, yes, all the logo's are pretty solid for throwaways.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  22. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Haven't been in the cesspool that is the STLtoday soccer forum in a while,, but someone there noted that the font in this is the same as used by STAR Wars? AS hint maybe?

I'm more intrigued by the outline below the numbers, the bottom of an arch shaped crest perhaps?

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    oooo good point about the Star Wars font... I just looked and people are saying the same on Twitter. Highly suggestive of "St. Louis Stars". I think better names are out there, but I'd definitely be cool with the NASL throwback.

Yeah that lower line looks like the bottom of a crest for sure. So far, it's red/maroon and yellow/gold, i.e. probably sticking with the STL flag colors. If the Arch itself if part of the crest, it very well could meet those two yellow/gold marks at the edges of the bottom, e.g. its "feet", but I'd rather the Arch itself be blue in the crest so we can hit all the colors well.

FWIW, some of the infographics they've put on Twitter have a red/pink background and yellow font.

24. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who selected our new club colors and designed our crest? Over 20 local designers – some independent, others from STL creative agencies @cannonball_ad
    & @tokybd – collaborated to create our club identity. You’ll see the final creation on 8.13.20.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]