Name change again? Red Bull COSMOS!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by wandering soccerdog, Apr 19, 2006.

1. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he was tweaking the New York Times, not you, with that comment.

2. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you only going to become a fan of the team if they change their name to that of a team that last played from 22 years ago?

Some of your posts from a quick look at your history.

4/20/06 (after NY Times articles stating possible name change) - "Attach the word 'Cosmos' to the team name and suddenly you don't have to say, 'There used to be the Cosmos, then there were the MetroStars, now they're the Red Bulls, but it's being run by all the old Cosmos with many former MetroStars players.' All you have to say is, 'Wanna go catch a Cosmos game?' And everyone will know what you're talking about."

3/10/06 (after Red Bull bought the team and said it will be the New York Red Bulls) - "We have a choice as a community here. We can either let the Red Bulls name happen to us -- and therefore know that another name-change will come in a few years -- or we can help empower Franz Beckenbauer, Giorgio Chinaglia, Shep Messing and Werner Roth to go to their new corporate benefactor and request that the 'Cosmos' name be resurrected."

3/3/06 (speculation about a purchase) - "This is the moment where someone needs to put Don Garber, Andrew Murstein, Peppe Pinton, Alexi Lalas, Phil Anschutz, and the Red Bull guys in a room together and throw away the key until they come out with a sane plan.

This franchise has already once made the enormous mistake of naming itself after the sponsor ('MetroStars' from 'MetroMedia'). What happens in five years when Red Bull gets tired of MLS and sells the team to Federal Express. Will we have another name-change to the New York/New Jersey Fedexes?

A name change to anything with 'Red' or 'Bull' or 'Red Bull' in it, is a horrible, horrible idea.

If the Red Bull company wants to be associated with triumph, victory, success."

11/29/05 (talking about lack of coverage in New York market) - "Make all the excuses you want, folks. But here's the deal...

If I were in Alexi Lalas's shoes this morning and opened the newspaper to see a 'Cosmos' headline, my first response would be, 'Why are the Cosmos getting a big headline and not the MetroStars?'

And then my next thought would be, "If we were called the Cosmos, then that headline would've been publicity for my team."

That's the value of having a long-standing branded tradition that is tied to the international celebrity culture."

6/4/05 (Murstein with a second New York team rumor and telling him to name them the Cosmos and get David Beckham) - "Mr. Murstein, this is where you come into the picture. You seem like a guy with ambition. You've already stated that you are in negotiation with Peppe Pinton to buy the Cosmos name and logo. That's a good start. But here's where your ambition can really be kicked up to the next level.

Sir, there is a distinct possibility that by 2007, the New York/New Jersey franchise of MLS will have its own stadium. At that same moment, Posh's husband will have completed his international duties to the English National team, and most likely Real Madrid will have no use for him at that point either. He will be 32-years-old then. Not quite as young as the Cosmos' stars in their heyday (Franz Beckenbauer was 31, Johan Neeskens was 27, Giorgio Chinaglia was 29, Wim Rijsbergen was 27, Andranik Eskandarian was 27, Vladislav Bogicevic was 28, Steve Hunt was 21, and Roberto Cabanas was 19), but still a quite serviceable age in this era of good conditioning and nutrition."

5/14/05 (talking about MetroStars blaming their record on field turf) - "Oh, sure it's the artificial turf.

Artificial turf didn't stop Giorgio Chinaglia from scoring 50 goals and 17 assists in 39 games in the 1980 season. Artificial turf didn't stop Franz Beckenbauer from playing brilliantly here for five seasons. Artificial turf didn't stop Johan Neeskens from slide tackling every opponent in sight for six seasons. Artificial turf didn't stop Hubert Birkenmeier from being a spectacular goalkeeper here also for six seasons.

And artificial turf didn't stop soccer crowds from averaging over 40,000 per game for several years in a row at Giants Stadium."

These are just random posts as I went through a few pages. Not once do you ever talk about a game. Do you own some trademark where you stand to make money if the Cosmos come back?

Do you want a new Cosmos? Then support the team and its players and provide a homefield advantage so they can win, improving the finances of the team so they can get players to play here and can create a winning culture!

3. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curse you, Ryan, for making me relive all that! :p

4. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    In the immortal words of Napoleon in "Love and Death," Why are you reciting my credits?

There isn't a word you copied that I don't stand by.

And I haven't really talked about games, because for the past ten years THE GAMES HAVEN'T BEEN WORTH TALKING ABOUT! This is the problem. For the past decade, there have been exactly two -- count 'em -- TWO moments on the field during MetroStars games that have been noteworthy. The first was Nicola Caricola's own goal in the Opening Day match in 1996. The second was Clint Mathis's single-handed weaving goal a few years later (2000 or 2001, was it?). Most everything else on-field has been a steaming bucket of forgettable dookie.

And, no, I don't stand to gain financially from a name-change. I'm just trying to "support the team and its players and provide a homefield advantage so they can win, improving the finances of the team so they can get players to play here and can create a winning culture."

Sounds like we're fighting on the same side.

5. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Its not like Wandering stays at home pining for the lost glory days while the rest of us are suffering at the Swamp. He pays his money and suffers with the rest of us.

But get serious, Pepe's sudden show of generosity is meaningless, like most of the stuff in that article. Sheer speculation bordering on irresponsibility, but good fun to get people thinking about the team.

They aren't about to re-brand what has just been re-branded. Unless Pepe says Beckenbauer and Didi have expressed interest in taking on the Cosmos name, its nothing more than Pepe trying to sound relevant.

6. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Bingo!

This is Peppe Pinton floating a trial balloon via the New York Times. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pepe realizes that the value of the Cosmos name has plummeted over the past 21 years. With each season that passes without a professional team named the Cosmos taking the pitch in Greater New York, the nostalgia for said brand diminishes. Peppe's hope is that by raising the spectre that this club might be rebranded the Red Bull Cosmos, he'll draw out enough fans of the old club to convince Red Bull to purchase the name from him.

Unfortunately for Peppe, there are two flaws in his plan. First, the number of soccer fans in Greater New York who actually care enough about the Cosmos brand to "flood' the Red Bull corporate offices with requests to resurrect the name are nowhere near as numerous as Peppe believes them to be. Second, barring the launch of a new beverage called "Cosmos Cola", Red Bull has absolutely no desire to rename this team. The New York Red Bulls are a marketing tool for Red Bull. Period. That's the name they want, front and center. Anything else dilutes the message.

7. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we go back to the cocktail jokes? That was funny.

8. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Sure does stir up charged memes of exciting days gone by......with the promise of more?..

We'll see..

9. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm sorry but I have to say I'd just laugh my way through the first Cosmos/ Galaxy match! :rolleyes:

10. Mike Juran

Mike Juran New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Loyalsock, PA
    Re: Red Bull COSMOS!

You had it right!
    CLAP-CLAP
    CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
    CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
    COS-MOS!

If this turns out to be true, I'll be a fan again. As long as its NOT "New York", when you play your home games in New Jersey.

They played in New Jersey/
    Cosmos was their name/
    They played so fast and pretty/
    Soccer was the the game/
    (dah dah dah dah)
    Cosmos Cosmos Cosmos Cosmos Cosmos c'mon yeah/
    (dah dah)
    Cosmos Cosmos Cosmos Cosmos/
    (dah dah dah dah-dah
    [Repeat clap]

11. Mike Juran

Mike Juran New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Loyalsock, PA
    I believe that match would be "out of this world!"

12. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Did you see the latest Red Bull commercial.. 'wings on the moon'?..

Do you think they have a long term goal of taking the "Energy" in their drink and going Universal?..

;)

13. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kit could look like this...
    [​IMG]

14. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Except that MLS doesn't allow advertising on the front of jerseys. The current Red Bulls logo on the front is only allowed because it's part of the crest.

Plus, the team isn't going to be renamed the Cosmos.

15. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of course not. This is five pages of speculation and wishful thinking based on the fact that the guy who currently owns the name might be willing to sell it, which isn't exactly newsworthy in the first place.

16. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA

WHAT?!?!? Take your levelheaded reasoning and get off these boards, mister!!!! :D Around here, you're either with us hysterical reactionaries or you're with the terrorists!!!

17. Metrofan_1996

Metrofan_1996 New Member

May 26, 2005
    Rockland Cty,NY
    I agree with you, on one side- all these 'new' team names is getting ridiculous. What a farce. This team is in absolute disarray. Tony Meola looks and plays like on old fart. I would of rather had Johnny Walker in Goal.We should of never traded Eddie Gaven away. I really liked him. What a disaster yesterday, 1-4 to DC Scum. And on top of that, that crazy idiot Eskandarian pulls a cold cheap stunt with the Red Bull drink.

The Cosmos did not fail, the League (NASL) failed, for they had poor management, and did not set up the proper policies for a Successful Soccer League. Phil Woosnam was the culprit in the NASL fiasco.

You know, why doesn't Time Warner Bros. just buy another soccer franchise like they did have in the old days of the NASL, and name it the Cosmos?
    Where is the reincarnation? The Cosmos Resurrection?

Where in the world is Clive Toye? Ahmet Ertegun? Those are the guys we need!

I think that is the best solution of all, get big name players on the team,
    not many, just the league amount, 4 SI's - Alessandro Del Piero, Javier Zanetti, Ricardinho, and Steven Gerrard, get American Superstars Landon Donovan, Steve Ralston, Clint Dempsey, Eddie Gaven, and Kasey Keller to join them, and build a stadium out by Where the Mets or Islanders play, and that's it.Oh, Franz B. can coach if he so desires.
    A perfect recipe for a Champion.

That would be the best solution of all.

For our team, I sometimes think I still like the old name better, the Metrostars, then this Red Bullshite. We began to build a tradition with that name, now we got to start and reinvent the wheel all over again.

And on top of this Alexi Lalas leaves. Another idiot. What a jerk.
    What a mess.