Naby Keita #8

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I personally believe Liverpool will take their game to another level with Keita in the side.....(my auto correct wants to call him Keith )

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baby Keith

jeffcoop repped this.
  3. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I don't actually see a "problem" as such. I am quite willing to put up with his losing the ball 4 or 5 times in a game in the opposition half, because when he is running with the ball, space is opening up for the likes of Mane and Salah to cut into. These spaces are going to inevitably win us games because he (Naby) can see and execute the pass at speed.....
    With Milner/Hendo/GW this simply isn't happening enough for me....

My only quibble with Naby is that twice recently he could have dropped ud points by not being more aggressive/awake in our own half when he comes on.....
    Don't be losing it in around our final third.....!!

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we need to all be careful not to make too many excuses for him like we did for Aqualani but also realize that he needs more time before we even think about writing him off.

6. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The premise of this whole line of reasoning is wrong. Often it is assumed that the key to having a successful team is creating a system that gets the best out of each player individually, when it actually is about creating a system that gets the best performance for the team. That system may cause players to sacrifice individually so the team is better. Firmino's goals and assists are down over last year as he dropped into a deeper role, but the team is much better so it doesn't really matter.

The team is top of the league with a midfield system that is working. It doesn't really matter if our 5th choice CM isn't having the season of his life. He'll continue to develop. Or he won't. But as long as the team is getting results with other players is doesn't really matter.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  7. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well said DCC...the results have been outstanding (that's why LFC are leading the League)...and yes, that may mean that some players have to sacrifice being "the best player they can be"...

Some players don't understand that...or they don't like that...they want to be the "star" or they want to score all the goals...but when they start to put individual accomplishment over team success...there becomes a problem...

8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The point of the article is Keita is not getting a chance in his best position. Therefore, he is not performing to the hoped for level. But it does not claim a position change is necessarily best for the team.

dcc134 and CB-West repped this.
  9. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    See: James Milner...

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what will matter is if neither he nor fabino are 1 of the 1st choice midfields when we come up against really good opposition

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I tend to disagree. It's too difficult to quantify whether or not you should be trying to get the best out of a particular player. Look at Suarez initially at Barcelona until they put him where he should be.....
    Systems are all very well, but with players of that quality you work your system around them. He should be doing for us what KdeB does for City....

12. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our system is built around Mo, Gini, Hendo, Fab, VVD and Alisson. I like Naby and think he’ll have a good career for us, but he is being left out of the team/his best position by better players right now. He hasn’t shown anywhere close to the form that suggests we should build around him right now. It’s really as simple as that.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hopefully he'll click soon, and Ox will be back also. dynamite boost for mf options for the run-in.

bayred repped this.
  14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair enough, but to put that headline on it and to even write the article suggests its a problem that needs fixing, when its really just a matter of other players in the team outperforming him right now.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yes they are outperforming him but he isn't producing to expected standards. he'll be OK.

16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I'd agree with you if Fabinho is always playing, but the argument falls apart when it's Milner, Hendo, GW as the midfield three.....
    Against average prem or european oppositon that's fine, but it won't be enough against Barca, Bayern or PSG IMO. One of Fab or Naby must start in these games IMO.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Aquilani got unlucky with injuries, and then even unluckier with Woy...... He was a top class midfielder. But you have to know how to use a player like that effectively....

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hmmm... I don't even know about that. Outside of GW and Fabinho all the midfielders are a little up and down since Aug, IMO.....

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would say "with them playing in their preferred position and Keita playing out of position" they are outperforming him. We haven't really seen Keita play CM.

That being said:
    1. We don't know how things look in training
    2. Klopp generally gets it right when he makes a positional change. Maybe Keita will come good in a wider role, or maybe Klopp will move him to CM when he feels the time is right.
    Either way, patience required!

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. I think Aquilani was a much better player than he was allowed to show.

speker repped this.
  21. mwake

mwake Member

May 6, 2018
    Wasn't Gini supposed to be sold at the start of this season? Let's give Keita the time his talents need. Not everyone hits the ground running straight away.

newterp repped this.
  22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There were rumors about Gini, but I don’t think Klopp ever considered it.

I agree about Keita. It was around this time last season that Ox first started to make a huge impact.

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll grant you the Milner Hendo GW midfield isn't my favorite and Naby should be in a head of Milner, but he's 5th on the CM depth chart for a reason. The other 4 players are better than him right now.

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, Fabino should start, so I'm ok with Naby on the bench. It's just that when Fabino doesn't start, against good teams, you need something more than what those other three provide. Basically, the more you penetrate behind our front three, the better things will turn out......... Even if you do lose the ball maybe 5% more often ....

25. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He really is awful at tackling and giving away fouls.
    But the last 30 minutes of our last two matches it was as if lights turned on inside him and the dynamic, penetrating midfielder we thought we signed appeared on the field.
    When he has to play a more subdued role - when in a midfield two or in a 3 with someone like Lallana - he isn't as good as our other options.

newterp repped this.