N.Ireland declines to play US, Canada & Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Captain Canuck, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Thought you guys might be interested in this story out of Belfast. Indicates a 4-team tournament of friendlies being set up, with US, Mexico & Canada and a fourth nation to be named later (as Northern Ireland has declined in favour of touring the West Indies). Don't know how reliable the story is but (assuming the link works) here you go:

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/sport/story.jsp?story=457370

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Nike US Cup revived?

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Northern Ireland did not score a single goal in Euro Championship qualifying. They've gone downhill a big way since the days of Jennings, McIlroy and Whiteside.
    I guess they wanted to play some easier teams in the hope they actually score a goal.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nerve of them!

We invite them to one of our tournaments and they decline?

Shameful. We would never do such a thing.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope so!!!!!
    And come back to Giants Stadium !!!

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have made a really interesting tournament. I thought that when Mexico sent what was essentially Tigres as their National Team and were stomped by the US, the US decided to not invite Mexico to play in the Nike Cup. I wonder if that has changed? I do remember there were some very harsh words thrown at the Mexican Federation after that.

7. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was announced yesterday that Canada will play Republic of Ireland in Dublin on November 18, 3 days after playing the Czechs in Prague.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The Canucks got a busy schedule for themselves ehh?

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Originally posted by RobtheAggie

That would have made a really interesting tournament. I thought that when Mexico sent what was essentially Tigres as their National Team and were stomped by the US, the US decided to not invite Mexico to play in the Nike Cup.

Wrong Animal mate. It was Pumas UNAM aka Tri-pumas :)

I wonder if that has changed?

Mexico is now sponsered by Nike and AEG :)

I do remember there were some very harsh words thrown at the Mexican Federation after that.

They compensated by playing a friendly against the U.S..

10. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    "There are a lot of Irish people throughout the States who would have enjoyed the games."

What? I can't think of any Irish fans I know that would turn out to see the North play. It's a good thing they said no, because if we want to make any money on this, it's not going to be with an attendance killer like Northern Ireland.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    How is it that Canada gets all these friendlies in Europe against decent to good competition while we're hoping for a run out against Panama?

Sachin

12. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Is it just me, or am I the only one a little disappointed in the fact that Northern Ireland was the best the USSF could do? Who's next on the list? What's the Faroes Island doing next year?

I see no reason to invite a team like Northern Ireland unless they had been turn down by a lot of other nations.

13. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Their federation must know what's up, because I can't see Canada turning down an invite to the second most prestigious tournament we can participate in. ;)

14. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CSA turned down an invite to the 2001 Copa America.

15. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Re: Re: N.Ireland declines to play US, Canada & Mexico

Well, not quite the same thing. They originally accepted the invitation, called the squad together & were about to go to Colombia when the tourney was postponed. All of the players were sent back to their European club teams. Then the tournament was re-scheduled for the original dates & the CSA felt forced to withdraw since they didn't think they could get their players back from their Euro clubs at the last minute with such short notice.