[N.A.R.] Have any of y'all read the NY Times magazine article on the AJAX youth development system?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by CplDaniel, Jun 9, 2010.

1. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any of y'all read the article on the AJAX youth development system in last Sunday's NYT magazine? It was really interesting. If you have the NYT, then I would suggest going through recycling before it gets picked up and getting the magazine out and read the article. (it's better to read on paper than on the internet)
    I included it here because we are a development/feeder club and we are all interested in developing the next generation of American soccer.

2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: [N.A.R.] Have any of y'all read the NY Times magazine article on the AJAX youth development syst

I did - it's phenomenal. I wish we could emulate their system here in the US, but I think folks would have an ethical problem with the age at which players are bought and taken on.

3. methklok

methklok New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: [N.A.R.] Have any of y'all read the NY Times magazine article on the AJAX youth development syst

I read and thoroughly enjoyed it. I lived in Holland for five years as a kid, so that ensured I wouldn't miss reading it.

Their system won't work the same here in the 'States--we're too big geographically. A kid can go home more frequently if they live in a tiny country. There's some kind of youth development program in Florida.

More to the point, I found the point that kids in Holland with potential are singled out and have extra attention lavished on them, versus the American way--we're ALL WINNERS!--interesting.

As far as the "ethical" conundrum is concerned, I don't buy it. Skaters and gymnasts go to academies for long-term training at a young age here. I might not agree with it, but it's not unprecedented to have youngsters go away for athletic training in the US.

4. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah...ethics got me too. The moment the 16yr old was talking about how when he was 8, he had been given "the discussion." Told he wasn't going to be able to come back the next season if he didn't start showing some more aggression. The moment I saw that, I thought these are the A-holes responsible for De Jong (who is on my hitlist for what he did to Stu). And it was true. Several pages later they listed names that went through the Ajax system and De Jong was on the list.

It was really good. I liked the discussion with Mr. Jennings of the Fulham youth academy when he talked about another club calling him up to schedule a match with their 5yr-olds team, and he answered back, "We don't have a super-5's team, but we'll be happy to play your expectant mothers!"

The whole using children as a commodity aspect was really interesting. I wasn't quite as turned off by it as some might be, but the whole thing did kind of remind me that the Dutch were responsible for introducing slavery to the colonies. It's kind of like Tiger and Michal Jackson; you give up chunks of a normal childhood in exchange for millions and millions of dollars when you get older. What I want to know is how they can arrange for their kids to be taken out of school after only half a day?

5. methklok

methklok New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I say, if the kid is really into it, and somebody is willing to foot the bill, then by all means, go for it! That's a tiny fraction of kids. I'll bet the Dutch stars in the Spanish league who went through the program at Ajax are happy they did, overall.

6. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The kids don't have to foot the bill. It's one of the differences between US and Europe. Here, kids pay to play. Coaches and league organizers have to cater to paying customers (parents and kids). There, they know they have an opportunity to develop and that it is the opportunity of a lifetime. They will do whatever it takes to be allowed to stay in the AJAX development program. In the article, they compare it to 7-yr old (or older) boy in Jersey getting a letter one day asking him to show up at Yankee stadium to perform in front of the top brass. Almost nobody turns down the invitation.