Mystery Science Theater 3000

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by NORML, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
?

Joel or Mike

1. Joel

100.0%
  2. Mike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MST3k returns this Friday (4/14/17) on Netflix with a whole new cast. Jonah Ray will be wearing the jumpsuit, Hamtpon Yount and Baron Vaughn will be the voice of Crow and Tom, while Felicia Day plays the daughter of Dr. Forrester and Patton Oswalt the son of TV's Frank. Joel Hodgson is part of the show but he will be completely behind the camera this time.

I am rather hopeful this will be just as good as the original, not better or same but will find it's own modern day voice and humor that lives up to the past glory. Anybody else planning on giving the new series a shot? Any other MSTie's out there on bigsoccer?

I also added the Joel or Mike poll cause it was one I have had in my mind for awhile. For me I kinda lost interest in the show after Joel left and figured that was typical for the course until a few years later I happened to be talking with a fellow fan who preferred Mike over Joel. I wasn't angry over the fact just surprised at first but eventually happy that the show was able to still get fans after Mitchell. So, who ya got Joel or Mike?

Len repped this.
  2. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joel. Always Joel. Mike's good as well, but there is no comparison.

MST3K might be my favorite show ever. I pledged in the Kickstarter, so I've already got to see some of this (all the episodes are available for streaming for backers today, actually). I like how even though it's in HD, they still kept the look of the old show.

3. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. How many episodes have you watched so far? Are you enjoying them?

4. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the first couple so far. I'm enjoying them, but you can certainly tell the cast are getting their bearings....a few things are hit and miss.

5. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    What is MST3K?

NORML repped this.
  6. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #6 Len, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Regarding the Joel vs Mike debate: I liked the Joel episodes better, but I don't think it was necessarily Mike doing a poor job.

After rewatching many of the episodes, I started to get the feeling Kevin Murphy, Tom Servo's voice, never really got the concept of MST3K. His humor was just.....different. Many times Joel and Crow would be in the middle of a riff and he would just step all over it. Subtlety was not his strength. Then later he developed this habit of laughing at his own jokes - annoying.

I suspect that once Joel left, Murphy became more influential in the writing and the show suffered. (Of course, that's just my opinion. I know people who really loved the Mike episodes.)

But to be fair to Mike, some of the shorts he hosted (Last Clear Chance, Cheating, Design for Dreaming, etc) are hilarious.

As good as the show was, I just believe it could have been better without Kevin Murphy.

7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc repped this.
  8. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half way through the season and really enjoying it so far. As Mach1 said, there are a few hit and misses but all in all some really good new MST3K episodes. I think Crow and Servo hit the same familiar tone, Jonah plays a great loveable doofus, and Kinga and Max are great mads pairing. Love that they still have commercial breaks spots. Cry Wilderness is already up there with some of my favorite episodes of all time.

9. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I have one annoyance with this season, it's they on occasion start a joke about something that's not even on screen yet, like they're a second too early. Can't tell if they're mistakes or intentional. Not sure why it bothers me as much as it does.

10. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only have caught that once but thought it was done to have the punch line hit with the scene. Got around to watching the credits and was surprised and happy to see Har Mar Superstar sings the opening theme song. Didn't recognize him in his bonehead get up.

11. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 General Disarray, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    mid way through the new season, I'm really enjoying it. I think Jonah fits in nicely with the bots... just finished the episode, The Loves of Hercules which so far I think was the funniest.

any word on if there will be another season?

12. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, I think you meant Jonah. :)

I'm hoping there's a renewal, but there's been no word yet. I thought Netflix usually announces one way or another if they ordered another season or cancelled, so there's still hope yet.

General Disarray repped this.
  13. General Disarray

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corrected thank you.

14. General Disarray