My50 Broadcast team - Fred Huebner's "foremost soccer authorities in the Chicagoland media market"

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fonsos, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: My50 Broadcast team - Fred Huebner's "foremost soccer authorities in the Chicagoland media marke

I once wrote a profanity-laden column complaining about Huebner. I just checked, and it's still up...

http://www.october8th.com/dalmatians.php

Link to his article doesn't work anymore though.

2. Krasny

Krasny Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Chicago West Side
    Re: My50 Broadcast team - Fred Huebner's "foremost soccer authorities in the Chicagoland media marke

it can't be, the postings are in complete sentences and don't blink uncontrollably

3. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

I am relaxed, however I'm also way past the stage of accepting every lil thing the club throws at us. I've always felt and still do feel that it's an injustice for us as fans to support the club without questioning and challenging it to become better and I think that I'm usually fair about such things when I've done it.

Backtrack a few responses, I said very lil about Doran and noted he's the only one with current experience - actually working MLS and has been for a for as long as I can remember with the Fire.

The issue I have and I mentioned it in the initial post is that, Fred is this is the best we can do and how he was marketed essentially -- as the Soccer Expert within the local media. Had it been said another way or not at all I'm probably not the one who's started a thread about it. It wasn't and voila yours truly has spoken - and continues, and continues, and continues.... Aside from Doran, who's experience I noted and not much more, the combined experience whether it's playing or doing anything related to MLS coverage or soccer in General is limited to the # of years Doran has worked for the Fire covering MLS? I'm not factoring Fred's show from a few years which lasted what a few months - someone correct me here, cause I dunno but I do know that it didn't last long enough for me and number of others to listen - yeah, it's all aboute me. Again, Chicago deserves better and there are people in the area whom have that experience and the Fire didn't tap them because some small minded person within the organization doesn't get the fact that this infomercial can go very, very far.

We all care that much about announcers otherwise we wouldn't have an opinion about any of them. Here's the deal, this game on 50. It's the Fire's ultimate informercial, i.e. one in which they have alot more control than let's say the ESPN one and in my opinion the Fire has half assed it.

Actually, if it works maybe it can grow into actual radio show. I'm cautiously Optimistic but the key is convincing the Score and for the matter ESPN Radio that money can be made from it and I've always believe that there's alot to be made but the primary decision makers need to be held by the hand and shown.

4. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

I know a HELL of alot about radio talent, not to mention a few things that would blow you outta the water. You're right it very seldom happens over night but it does happen within a 10 year period and especially within 5 years in a major market. He's essentially worked as a floater for during this period and he's on the fast track to become the second coming of Fred Huebner within the local market. A contract extension in what role? We dunno and I'm happy for him - job security's a great thing but if it's in the same role then that' saying something about the talent and not necessarily good depending on his career goals within the industry.

I wasn't the one name dropping DeFalco nor Jurko and singing high praises about them. Sorry, the fact that two local on air radio personalities, one of whom is on air during primetime, both soccer fans and they don't discuss it on their show doesn't impress me and especially when one is in the position to do such a thing.

5. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

Fonsos,

You make good points, but I don't see why you're so averse to giving him a chance. I liken this to the Darrian Chapman situation. If you ask 100 true Fire fans, I bet 90 of them will say Chapman was no worse than their second-best play-by-play guy of all time, but prior to his being hired, what was the difference between him and Huebner? Both were in sports media who were hamstrung by the amount of time they could devote to talking about the sport, and both were wildcards in that we didn't know what to expect of them as play-by-play guys prior to them having done a game.

You're right...Fred may end up being an unmitigated disaster (not that the bar for US soccer play-by-play broadcasters is that high, and I can point you to THOUSANDS of threads on Big Soccer for that discussion). He may be average, and he may be a great diamond in the rough. I just don't think we can dismiss him without even having ever heard him do play-by-play of soccer.

6. Mean_Machine

Mean_Machine New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Chicago

Good for you with all of your knowledge. I don't, I was just speculating based on what I've seen in my limited time listening to sports radio.

As for DeFalco and Jurko....I wouldn't call it name dropping. I simply said that I heard Carmen interviewed for the job. I also have heard that they are both fans of the game and I saw them together at the All-Star game last year when I got a pulled pork sandwich at The Patio before the game. Obviously covering soccer is not what they've been hired by ESPN to do, their job is to talk Bears, Cubs, Sox, and Bulls. That's what carries their ratings. Once thousands of people start calling in wanting to talk about soccer, I'm sure ESPN will change their tune (sarcasm.)

I'm sorry that you got the impression that I was a FO employee, but I don't see where you got that from my comments. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about it though. I was just trying to give you my thoughts as to giving this broadcast team a chance before you condem them to hell. This is all too often the case with these boards.

Step One: Someone offers a rant about something the Fire staff has done
    Step Two: Someone offers a counterpoint and says, maybe it won't be so bad
    Step Three: both sides blast each other, name call, and tell the other person why they are the biggest idiot alive

I wonder why I continually read these things sometimes... Either way, my thoughts are clearly about as relevant in this regard as....well, yours. So get overself.

7. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006

If Fonsos intuition about Fred Huebner is as correct as his intuition regarding Blanco, then Fred will be better than Wynalda.

I thought Fonsos was boycotting the Fire anyway.

So what's the big deal.

8. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

Funny and you would be almost so right -- LOL.
    Remember my boycott was attending home matches at Toyota Park - and I've attened a few after the signing, not Road Trips - I was in Toronto. I'm subject to this TV crew for home matches. So it's an even bigger deal for me, no SAP option if it sucks.

Fonsos

9. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

Topic at hand was Fred and the broadcast crew. Your initial response was to it. Now, You were the one who mentioned Carmen-in response to the interview query but then you went on to expand on it and brought up Jurko-not I. I mentioned that you were an employee of the club and left it at that, you've come back to it. Now, it's get overself - shaking my head. Go back to step three above and please point out where I've called you a name or called you the biggest idiot alive. Didn't do it to you nor anyone else on this thread. Simply put we disagree, the beauty of the boards, hopefully you've learned a few things from this discussion - I have and usually do when I'm participating in them.

Fonsos

10. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006

I will admit Fonsos was 100% correct. Huebner is a complete tool. Not only does he suck the life out of a game he doesn't even know what's going on. He's totally clueless. He didn't remember that Joseph got a yellow card earlier and was perplexed about the red card. Also whenever a player gets injured from a play Huebner always talks about a different part of their body. When Segares went down and it was pretty obvious from the replay that he jammed his ankle. Huebner kept talking about the wrist even though Segares was holding his ankle.

Fire Huebner now.

11. moddyg

moddyg New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Clinton IL

If you don't like Fred, and you can afford the equipment and service, Kyle Martino (of all people) called a great game last night on HDNet. I was absolutely shocked. Best commentary I've heard in a long time.

12. Firefan1989

Firefan1989 Member

Mar 29, 2008

i maybe in the minority in this but the guy Max guy from Fox Sports, I like his goal call YEAAAAAHHHHH!!! i know many people dont like him but i think he would be good. (I think he works for fox sports so it wont happen since he'd be expensive) but i could dream cant i

13. moddyg

moddyg New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Clinton IL

When they used to have Max (Bretos is his last name, by the way) paired up with a guy named Christian Bozzo (spelling?) those were some fun matches to listen to.

The Bozzo guy was very laidback, he really sounded like Tommy Chong, it was awesome, Max would yap like a little dog while Christian would just kind of go with the flow.

I'm pretty sure Christian isn't on FSC anymore, at least I haven't heard from him in a long while, but i DID hear some of their calls on matches from the past they've been showing during the off season.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where's Lionel Bienvenue when you need him!

15. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

What's Wynalda doing these days?

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully Harkes' wife

17. moddyg

moddyg New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Clinton IL

ooh you knew about that one too? I didn't think that had gotten out as much (the opposite rumor that is).

18. SoFo

SoFo Member

May 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Max has definitely grown on me. I like him. He knows the league and understands the game. Heubner has no edge; he announces like it's a junior high girls' game. His voice inflection doesn't match the ebb and flow of the action.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I tend to agree with your points.

I like Max Bretos; he is a bit of egoist sometimes (particularly in his "Max-imum Soccer" bit on FSC), but he does have a passion for the game and knows the league. And, really, doesn't he have the job that virtually all of us would want?

As for Fred Heubner, I think both he and Doran are doing an okay job calling the game, and that is all I want from them, is to call the game.

I will admit that his voice is flat and there is little inflection in his voice. However, I wonder if his lack of inflection is a result of having to be the "voice of reason" with Mike North for the past several years. Having to work with that moron would make anyone quiet down and suck the life out of almost anyone. Also, as he becomes more familiar with the Fire as a team and becomes more ingrained with the culture of the team, I think the enthusiasm (his "edge") will increase.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd love to see him providing color for Fire broadcasts.

21. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn

Same here. I think Wynalda got a raw deal. He's one of the few announcers that really spoke their mind about the game, good or bad. We could use some more of that.

22. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doran already provides that. In addition to saying good things aobut the team or the game, he'll rip on idiot refs, question Denis's tactics when warranted and won't spare players if they do something dumb. He's one of the best commentators we've had.

23. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn

Yeah I like Doran. I just wish that I'd get more of him on the Direct Kick package. I think the first Fire game of the year was on it, and that's it. Sitting through RSL's announcers, Columbus' and Greg Lalas is tough.

24. SoFo

SoFo Member

May 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It came to me during the Houston game on Aug. 31. Fred Heubner is not a bad guy, but I was suddenly able to put my finger on exactly what it is about his announcing that I don't like: He describes everything that is happening on the field. Mostly, we can see what is happening, and we don't need the announcer to tell us that the ball went out for a throw-in. It's good when the announcer names the player who has the ball, because it can be hard to see that on TV, and especially if we are not really familiar with the opposing team. But Fred gets so caught up in describing every movement that he falls behind the action, and isn't able to give us a good call on the key plays.
    I think as Max Bretos has learned to talk less, he has become more enjoyable to listen to.

25. joeginto

joeginto Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Good point, SoFo. I really think that comes from the fact that Fred is relatively new to broadcasting soccer. It's easy, and probably the instinctive reaction, to simply describe what's happening. Hopefully, he'll find his voice and start branching out a bit.

I'm just glad I'm not listening to Kenny Stern any longer...guh, Doran is such an upgrade.