My50 Broadcast team - Fred Huebner's "foremost soccer authorities in the Chicagoland media market"

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fonsos, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: My50 Broadcast team - Fred Huebner's "foremost soccer authorities in the Chicagoland media marke

I love looking at women but damn, everytime someone mentions one on these boards it seems as though they've gotta follow it up with oh, she's hot, blah, blah. You may not think it's sexist but it is. Drop some knowledge about her ability but the reference of her looks wasn't even a topic of the discussion. Still isn't.

I'm responding to a number of post (seems like every other one in this case)regarding this thread because a number of people still have the attitude of "Oh, I'll take what they've given us..." and We (soccer fans, the game, players, Front Office personnel, etc...) have evolved beyond that stage and should express that we have minimal expectations when it comes to coverage et al. Why do after almost ten years of supporting this team that's been successful should we expect anything less? So to just blindly accept a broadcast with crea whose TV experience is pretty minimal and in this market is a joke and an embarrassment. The 3rd largest market in the country and access to good people and this what we come up with? This isn't an issue about who's nice and who isn't this is an issue about skill and experience. Would you hire a Dr. fresh out of Med School as your Brain Surgeon? Probably not and the point I'm getting at right now.

2. cesba

cesba Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: My50 Broadcast team - Fred Huebner's "foremost soccer authorities in the Chicagoland media marke

FYI......

the interview/auditions took place on August 16.

and Sarah Kustok is hot.

3. swkfilms

swkfilms Member

Oct 7, 2005

Fonso, you're right I should have mentioned something about her talent. I realize my mistake. And you're right I looked up Sarahs credentials and she has no soccer reporting experience, nor any playing experience that I know of. I think fred Huebner will be a good annoucer though, I wish we could get the guy who does some of the spanish league games in english "MORE ELECTRIFYING THAN A HAIRDRYER IN A BATHTUB""

4. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My biggest complaint about Huebner is he doesn't do a good job of defending soccer when resident blowhard Mike North talks crap about it.

5. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

One of the many things I and a number of others really like about Peter Wilt is that even when he worked for the Fire, he posted as himself and while responding, he actually listened to what was being said. Doesn't mean he agreed but he definitely listened.

Well, well, well, so, we have another Fire staff member posting and you're not hearing a damn thing that's been said. Instead we get one actual answer and then a response akin to a 10 yr old. Mon Dieu!!!! It's defend, defend, defend instead of hearing what's been said. You guys have no problems accepting praise but when there's a bit of negative criticism or something that seems that way, the ballgame changes. Hence, one of the reasons why this club is behind in certain areas - like Marketing or English Radio Coverage or.... is because of this attitude. See the nice thing about the Boards is that you can't tell us what to say, so now use this as a constructive tool and build from it. It's not us against you it's us asking you to become better. Geesh!!!! It would be nice to post more praise, so give us more reasons.

6. cesba

cesba Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do not work for the Fire. Wish I did though.....many things would be done ALOT differently.

I am praising the decision to hire Kustok because....um, she's hot. And, I have also posted negative comments about the marketing department. I think the marketing department pretty much sucks.

I am also turning 11 next week.

7. Tahu

Tahu Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Chicago-North Suburb

And you want him fired? North can not be an easy man to work with.

8. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

Last I check 11 yr olds are in school, even in Indiana but if you wanna play that game, let's go right ahead. Hey, since she's hot, go for it and ask her out. You're 11, so I'm sure you're single and what do you have to lose.

Fonsos

9. cesba

cesba Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

North's usual defense in an argument is to talk louder than the person that he's arguing with, no matter what the topic or how uninformed he is. The one complaint I have about Huebner during what passes as soccer discussion with North is his tendency not to correct North's idiotic comments.

10. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

Mike North's dislike of soccer or his interpersonal skills are not related to the topic at hand.

I work with people who are loud and dislike soccer, doesn't mean that I should be fired for not defending the sport.

11. cesba

cesba Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lighten up Francis.

Think she would like to go to Chucky Cheese with me?

12. Mean_Machine

Mean_Machine New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Chicago

Dead wrong, but thanks. My best friend from college has been working in sports since we graduated back in 2001. He works for the FO now after working for a couple of other teams. Personally, my dad and I bought club seats last year. We never had Fire tickets before that, but have been bears and cubs season ticket holders for years.

I wouldn't say friends with either one of them. I met Deflaco through another friend over at the United Center and I only sat and watched Jurko last year when they were here cause I listen to Mac Jurko and Harry every day on my way home from the office and I think the good kid is pretty funny.

Neither of them really talk soccer for one simple reason, it just doesn't get the ratings (yet.)

As for sparring with you, I don't think I'm doing that at all. I never try to do that on these boards. I just like pointing out the other side of the argument when I know some information from my friends inside the office.

13. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

In regards to de Falco you stated "...he really enjoys the game. He's an up and coming "talent" on ESPN and if you get him in your corner, I think it would help grease the wheels for a nice radio deal with 1000 down the road...." and then you mention the above. (Perplexed look on face) If he or they, i.e. he and Jurko, have this much Powa then he'd mention the game he's a fan of and not avoid it like the plague. They're on air personalities and you just can't help avoid it. Hell, if anything their ratings would improve since there are alot more soccer fans whom are also Bears, Cubs, Bulls and foreva suffering BlackHawks fans.

Please don't use up and coming to describe someone who's been in the busines for almost 10 years. de Falco has been at ESPN since '98 according to his Bio. After almost 10 years, he should have come up.

If you don't work for the Fire as you claim then your friend should be fired because for someone who's in the industry and working for the club he divulges a bit too much information than he should.

14. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

You keep mentioning how hot she is, so I thought I'd encourage to go for it.

Fonsos

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With that body, she's gonna go places

16. Tahu

Tahu Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Chicago-North Suburb

The point is Hubner works for North. He has no interest in arguing with him. That is not his job on the show. If he did argue with him, he would not be on the show for long.

17. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

Hubner (sic) works for the Score, and he doesn't argue with him because there's no point. North's schtick is to just yell out asinine things. Arguing with him would be like arguing with the wind.

18. Tahu

Tahu Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Chicago-North Suburb

For better or worse, North is the king of that station and he is a jerk. This

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Okay, this has gone far enough.

Fonzos, please relax a little. Personally, I think you would be a good reporter for the Fire games. You have the personality, the knowledge of the team and the sport and, frankly, more Fire fans probably know who you are than know Fred Huebner and, certainly, Sarah Kustok.

Really, I do not see the problem with Chris Doran (has been involved with the Fire broadcasts for years, did a good job when the Fire were on the radio in Naperville) and Fred Huebner (very experienced in Chicago sports media and has been an admitted soccer fan for years). As for Sarah Kustok, I have no comment as I know nothing about her.

The obvious choice for color commentator would have been Frank Klopas, but, of course, he has been the obvious choice for so many things recently (head coach, GM, new owner, etc.).

His credentials for commentator would be: former player and, by far, the former Fire player who is the most active with the team, very well known in the Fire/soccer community and amongst Fire fans and his post game show that was on Comcast occasionally early in the season was excellent, honest and quite critical of the team (which may be one of the reasons he was out of the running, if he was ever in the running).

The other obvious choice, and the one choice that would have brought in the fans, would have been Peter Wilt. It certainly is not uncommon for an ex-gm to be a color commentator (Ken Harrelson for the White Sox, and wasn't Steve Stone in the front office for the Cubs prior to moving to the broadcast room?).

That being said, we have Doren, Huebner and Kustok...and it could have been worse. If you look at the terrible sports announcers in Chicago who either suck or are actively opposed to soccer (and then there is O'Brien for ESPN), at least we have announcers in Doren and Huebner who are experienced and knowledgable about the sport.

And, really, who cares that much about the announcers? In my opinion, announcers can be a distraction far more than a positive. I believe that Doren and Huebner will do a good job and will not be a distraction.

Also, maybe this gig for Fred will lead to a little soccer coverage on the Score...okay, maybe that's crazy talk. Of course, I haven't listened to the Score in years, partially because I don't care about the sports they talk about and they don't talk about the sport(s) I care about.

20. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

With the women's team on the way, the Milwaukee MLS team still potentially hanging by a thread, and the fact that Peter likes to hang out in the stands during the Fire games leads me to believe he might not want the gig.

21. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Fonsos..
    The article said... "ONE OF" and not simply that he was "THE foremost".I would actually agree with this, as Fred is in fact one of the more knowledgable media guys when it comes to the sport.

22. Mean_Machine

Mean_Machine New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Chicago

You really have to relax a little man, how is this that big of a deal?

In regards to Carmen, he just got a huge contract extension and is starting to get his own shows. He's barely over 30 years old and I'm not positive, but I believe ESPN radio was one of his first jobs in the industry. If you know anything about radio talent, it doesn't happen overnight. Some people have to wait alot longer than 10 years to get their own shows on that big of a network.

As for my buddy, how is telling me that Carmen DeFalco, a guy that we've both met on a couple occassions, divulging too much information? I fail to see the connection. He didn't really tell me crap about the ownership change, or the Blanco signing, or Wanchope or Conde.... hasn't given me specifics on the potentional jersey sponsor even when I badger him....

If anything, I'm the one at fault for relaying that information to you.

23. unfrozencavemangk

unfrozencavemangk New Member

Sep 10, 2007

Seriously....how hard it is for you people to see through this?

cesba is so obviously Chris Bailey of the fire's media relations department that it's ridiculous.

Mean_Machine is someone else in the front office. The more someone protests that they're not someone, the more it's likely that they are. At first thought it would be Mark Wascho, but it's more than likely Dan Parise, the marketing guy.

Guys, get back to work. You have enough problems without getting off on posting insider stuff or furthering your own agendas by pretending to be fans on a message board.

24. cesba

cesba Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!!!!!

Unfrozencaveman,
    You are quite the detective. Unfortunately, it might be time to get a refund on the junior detective starter kit you got out of that cracker jack box. I most certainly am not Chris Bailey. I am a season ticket holder and fan (just like most of the regulars here). In fact you can check out my modest blog http://chicagofiremajorleaguesoccer.blogspot.com/ or maybe you can stop by section 111, row 8, seat 1 and say hello. I'll be the guy with the Chris Bailey mask on.

I'm thinking of posting as Dave Sarachan so that people can accuse me of being Dave Sarachan. Which of course, will mean that I am Dave Sarachan.

25. kikkoman1231

kikkoman1231 New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Comiskey Park

Dave Sarachan has an expansive vagina.

There. I said it. Get back to work. :D