My Proposal For a 31 Club CCL With 6 Clubs Starting in the Round of 16

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by EvanJ, Mar 28, 2018.

?

Which Format Do You Like Better?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2019.
  1. The current CCL and CL format

50.0%
  2. My proposal

50.0%
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the poll, vote on whether you like my proposal or the current CCL and CL format better. I don't like that CL clubs have to play four rounds to qualify, when some of them could be better than some clubs who start in the CCL. Keeping the amount of clubs as 31, here's my proposal. I use "QR" for Qualifying Round rather than calling it the CL.

6 clubs start in the Round of 16 (3 from Mexico, 2 from USA, and 1 from another country*)
    15 clubs start in QR2 (including all Mexican, American, and Canadian clubs that don't start in the Round of 16)
    10 clubs start in QR1

The 5 QR1 winners and 15 clubs that start in QR2 would make 10 pairings to send 10 to the Round of 16. Since there would only be two rounds before the Round of 16, the Round of 16 could be moved to the previous fall. Then MLS clubs would not have to play the Round of 16 during their preseason, and games in cold weather in the winter could be reduced. The Mexican, American, and Canadian clubs would have to play at most 10 games to win, which is the same amount as when there were groups of 3, and fewer games than when there were groups of 4. Moving the Round of 16 up to the fall also avoids playing the Round of 16 and Quarterfinals on four consecutive midweeks. The current schedule has two rounds before the national team games that just happened and two rounds after. With three rounds needed in the winter and spring, I propose this schedule:

The midweek that currently has Round of 16 first legs would not be used
    The midweek that currently has Round of 16 second legs would have Quarterfinal first legs
    The midweek that currently has Quarterfinal first legs would have Quarterfinal second legs
    The midweek that currently has Quarterfinal second legs would have Semifinal first legs
    There would be national team games
    The midweek that currently has Semifinal first legs would have Semifinal second legs
    The midweek that currently has Semifinal second legs would not be used so the Finalists would not have to play the midweek before the midweek for midweek of the Final first leg
    The two legs of the Final would be played the same as the current schedule

Fans of Liga MX and MLS might care about the CCL for more months if their clubs played in the fall and spring.

* I would give 3 Round of 16 spots to whichever of Mexico and USA won the most of the most recent 5 CCLs. Hypothetically it could be 2 by Mexico, 2 by USA, and 1 by Canada or Central America, but that's unlikely. Whichever of Mexico or USA did not have the most champions of the most recent 5 CCLs would get 2 Round of 16 spots. I would give the sixth spot to whatever country other than Mexico and USA that had the best club in the previous CCL. If I used this procedure now, Toronto FC would give this spot to Canada for what I would call 2018-2019, but the spot could be earned by a Central American country. I don't think a Caribbean club would ever be the best club not from Mexico or USA.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote the old format with 8 groups of 4 or just cut back the teams to 16 and go 4 groups of 4.

Robert Borden repped this.