My objective take on KOREA-JAPAN

Discussion in 'Asian Cup 2007' started by daraverla, Jul 29, 2007.

1. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, guys, I am writing to share my thought with you.

I noticed that there are many Koreans who seem to be overly jubilant about the "victory" (notice the quotation here. Penalty shoot-out isn’t a victory or a loss, it’s a draw in record. So let’s calm down here just a bit.) and that there are just too many overly dejected Japanese here about the game yesterday. (Firing Osim will not automatically put Japan in the top 10 elite teams in the world. Let’s be realistic. The problems of Korean and Japanese soccer are far worse than a coaching choice or strategy points here. The problems lie in the fundamental aspect of playing soccer.)

I am a Korean American, so by nature, I may be biased here.

But hey who isn’t here?

Anyway here we go, and I welcome any constructive comment (no pejorative one-liner please) from many posters so that we can shed different lights on the state of not only these two teams but on the whole Asia soccer.

I am very confident that through our different outlook on our soccer we can learn many wonderful insights.

Korea.

Strength: Am I the only one here who believes that Korea is becoming more and more like Italians but with less skill? Or Detroit Pistons without any offensive power (Richard Hamilton)?

I believe that we may have to get used to this 0-0 score for the future, for I sense that there will be more games like this.

The greatest strength of Korean soccer team through this Asian cup tournament is that the team was able to finally stablize the four back formation in the defense.

The emergence of Oh and Kim in the wing back positions brighten up the prospect of future Korean soccer.

Both are young (presumably less than 23 years old?), fast, resilent, and smart. The only knock on these two new backs is that they do not have the physique to be constantly on a par with top of the line strikers playing in Europe. (But again, who else in Asia does have the physique to match up with the players like Henry, Rooney, or Ronaldo?)

If anything, these two young players proved that they belong in Asia, and the caliber of their play should demonstrate that it would be awfully hard for any opposing Asian team to score against them.

Granted, one single tournament isn’t enough to convincingly cement their status in the four back formation, and we should learn more about them as they play more A matches in the future.

Weakness: I’ve gotta admit that Japanese players are far more technically superior than their Korean counterparts. For those of you who keep on insisting that Koreans are better technicians than Japanese… what games have you been watching???

Japanese players are crisp, sharp with their passing, and great athletes who know how to possess the ball and how to pass the ball through the openings.

On the other hand, Korean players need to learn how to play in the grass. I don’t know whether it is the sandy nature of many Korean high school soccer field or it is the destruction of ozone layer fueling the rapid increase in the region’s temperature that destroyed many grass fields in Korea, but whatever the reason, Korean players need to learn play with the freaking ball.

Being a good technician in the world of soccer doesn’t mean putting the ball 10 yards in front of you and starting a mad-dashing to the ball a la 100 meter dash. Being a good technician doesn’t and shouldn’t mean passing the ball five yards behind teammates in counter attack mode. Being a good technician doesn’t mean kicking a long ball to a group of red and white with close eyes and hoping prayers.

Korean players need to get back to basic and learn to keep the ball on a consistent basis.

Moreover, Korean players need to understand that offense starts with a defensive player intercepting the ball, controlling the ball clearly, and making a crisp pass in front of (not behind!) attacking teammates.

Unfortunately, Korean players couldn’t do any of the aforementioned three things on a consistent basis.

Oh, yeah, you can blame all you want on the coach, but one thing wont change: without the fluid passing game initiated by Korean defense, by the time Korea settles in the attacking mode, we will face 10 deep backs comfortably waiting in the opposite field.

The lack of any sharp passing in the defense, the inability of any Korean midfielders to decisively win one-on-one battles with opposing midfielders (note: kicking and dashing in the sideline shouldn’t be counted as winning the one-on-one battle), and the horrendous crossing accuracy are all the fundamental problems imposed on Korea, and a simple coaching change or strategic tactics won’t fix these fundamental problems.

Many of Koreans may feel vindicated that Korea was able to withstand and overcome the offensive-minded “A-level” Japanese team with one man down, but in essence, Korea has been guilty of not taking advantage of such clear opportunities (remember the East Asian Cup game a few years ago against China with not one, but two! man down???... we ended up tying the game 1-1, with the late free kick goal by Kim Jin Kyu).

Moreover, I am really sick and tired of this B.S. “A-level,” “B-level”, and “C-level” ranting by both Korean and Japanese posters here.
    I don’t care about what happened to Park Jisung, Lee Youngpyo, or Seol.

The members we brought to this tournament is our BEST team, our A-level team, so don’t try to find solace in the hypothetical, unsubstantiated comment like “Oh, with Park and Lee, we couldn’t have won with the margin of 3-0.” After all, the addition of Park and Lee (both of them are arguably midfielders) won’t in my opinion change the outcome of the matches.

What Korea lacks are the offensive firepower and fundamental understanding of how to play soccer, not a work-horse midfielder.

Park Ji Sung could have been a major plus in that he could help us control the midfield, but then who would receive his passing?

Clearly, Korean team doesn’t have the players in the caliber of Rooney or Ronaldiho.

So, let me make this crisp clear: This is the A-level team by Korea (the average age of Korean team be damned!), and an addition of one or two players wont make this team in any substantial way much better.

This is the sad state of Korean soccer, and the very thin bench and thin talent pool in Korean soccer only worsens this state.

Ditto to Japan.

One missing player doesn’t automatically make A-level into B-level team.

Missing two players doesn’t automatically make A-level into C-level team.

Missing five players shouldn’t make A-level into D-level team.

Japan, in my opinion, faces the same predicament faced by Korean soccer. The thin talent pool suggests that there isn’t a much difference in the quality of play between A-level and B-level team.

And additional of Ono would only help the strength of midfield play, but again, I don’t see anyone in Japan who would be counted to finish the play on a consistent play.

What? You think Inamoto, Yanigisawa would have helped Japan? Oh, please….

So, in sum, Korea team is basically a soccer team version of Ben Wallace (a former Detroit Pistons center) without ego but clearly without any offensive threat.
    I wholeheartedly sympathize with many Korean posters here who wish to believe that a coaching change would instantaneously transform Ben Wallace into Shaquile ONeil. But the truth of matter is that teaching Ben Wallace a trick of hook shots, fade away jumpshots would only confuse him.

Japan.
    Strength: The firm coming out party for Nakamura and Takahara (?).

I must admit that I wasn’t too high on Nakamura. At best, he was the Asian version of Beckham with a strong free kick and passing game but nothing else.

Well, I was wrong.

I found many of his awesome skills today, and I believe that he will be the backbone of Japan for many years to come.

His vast vision on the field, up tempo passing game, crossing ability, and to some extent effective one-on-one maneuver clear stood out today.

In terms of technicality, he was a head and shoulder above most players in the field yesterday.

As for Takahara, this tournament was clearly a coming out party for him. Many of Japanese posters may feel like killing him, but before electrocuting him tomorrow, get realistic here.

No Ronaldho, No Rooney for many, many years to come for both Korean and Japan, so stop whining about “Takahara this, Takahara that.”

I have seen so many posts in Korean websites about things like “What if Kaka played for Korean team….”

Well, the prospect of finding Kaka or at least grooming players to the level of Kaka or Rooney in Japan and Korea is highly unlikely, given the rigid systematic soccer training regime in the region, so posters here would have a more realistic musing on what to do with million dollar jackpot.

Takahara is a good player, but a tier or two below the level of “greatness”. But again, I should mention this with some degree of conviction, who the hell in Asia can be put in the level of great strikers????

Right. Your silence suggests that lack of reliable forwards is rather a common problem for virtually every single team in Asia.

It is the sad predicament faced by virtually every team, so let’s not go into bashing your “good” players who can’t quite reach the level of greatness.

It is too early to give up on good players like Takahara, and admit this much: you guys don’t have any backup plan.

Korean team certainly doesn’t. It’s either Jaejin Cho/Lee Donggook or a bust for Korea.

Another point: Nakazawa (?), the full back center defense, is good, perhaps great, yes, really really good. He reminds me of Hong Myung Bo with better speed. I really like him.

Weakness: lack of physical strength, soft play by some players who doesn’t belong to Japanese NT, the inability to finish off (ditto for Korea).

All of these are rather a time honored problems for Japan, and I only see that these same elements are the ones that will continue to keep Japan from becoming elite soccer team in the world.

I honestly believe that two strikers would be a better solution to Japan’s anemic offense.

With Takahara firmly entrenched in the front, a shorter and faster striker (No, no okubo please. I have already seen many games of him, and he just wouldn’t cut it) would alleviate some of the problems in the offense.

As much as I am enamored with Nakamura, I do feel that there were many moments in which he should have stepped up to fire up his teammates or vocally lead his teammates.

There were many clear one on one chances for him in the side attack, but rather than attack with vengeance (especially against 10 men team), he passed to his teammates just too much at the end.

As a leader, Nakamura failed to ante up the intensity of his teammates, and I believe that this – by no means marginal – mistake was his fault all the way.

The lack of clear vocal leadership by Japan has been the major problem, and I honestly believe that more than a mere coaching change by Japan is warranted to address this problem.

In sum, Japan resembles high flying Los Angeles Lakers with frustrated Nakamura waiting for others to step up than leading his teammates, you know those (my beloved) Lakers who gives the hints of flashness and greatness, but isn’t yet an elite team.
    As for Korea-Japan match, well, guys, you guys better get used to 0-0, or a boring 1-0 matches for many years to come.

With or without Park Jisung, Ono, Yongpyo, Okubo, Inamoto, the teams yesterday were best both countries could offer, and a sequence of a soccer match could go like this:

Short pass -> back pass-> forward pass-> cross! -> headed out -> back pass -> long pass -> intercepted -> short pass -> back pass -> forward pass -> cross!! (yet again) -> headed out (yet again)….

I don’t have to tell you which part is by Korean team, and which part is by Japanese team. :)

2. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh a couple more things to add here:

Japan needs to learn how to PENETRATE deep in the opposing back. Takahara has been a half-step, one full step late in terms of finding the shooting timing. Japan may hold on to the ball longer than opposing team, but what determines the game isnt ball possesson, but goals. Korea was aware of the Japanese attack mode, and Korea carefully gave up the front portion of the midfielding and guarded against any sneaking attack behind the four back formation.

As for Korea, see above (change "Japan" to "Korea" and change "Takahara" to "Jaejin Cho" and change "sneaking" to "obvious" and change "behind the four back" to "in front of waiting defenders")

As for the state of Korean Japan soccer, I wish one of the teams would stand clearly a head and shoulder above the other, so that other lagging team could learn. But unfortunately, these two teams have been stuck in their own playground, and the room for improvement is hardly present at this moment.

Using analogy, I would put the current state of Korea and Japan soccer like this: a ESL student proofreading another ESL student's college application essay, saying "Oh yeah, your essay sounds really NEAT!")

3. Caliguy

Caliguy New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    In your pc
    Nice post, please elaborate.

4. rogatsby

rogatsby New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Whatever, you dissapointed Nip.

5. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    hm.. interesting stuff. especially on japan, since i don't follow JNT.

Korea's offensive problems aren't something that can easily be fixed. it has always been a problem for us going way back... It'll be solved the day Ahn Jung Hwan decides that he wants to run for 90+ minutes, but i doubt this will happen by 2010...

Missing PJS is actually a pretty darn big deal for us. I mean only the fewest of Korean trolls have been going on a B-team fever. But imagine JNT without Shunske Nakamura. Takahara as good as he is (certainly much much superior to JJJ) wouldn't have received those nices passes from S Nakamura. Japan's setplays would have also suffered without him. PJS has that kind of effect on our team... I'm not saying he is super athlete... but you have to admit that when PJS plays for KNT, it's like Korea has an extra player on the pitch.

We played a very defensive oriented game... All the teams that played us, played like crap. Saudis... Iranians... japanese... they all played like crap because they couldn't penetrate our D... so i guess you are right that we are playing like Italians.

What was lacking was offensive punch. But I feel very optimistic. if the key Prem players are fit in 2010.... First we will have Kim Nam Il as DM, which means offensive players can go forward more. We have PJS... KJW... come on... Lee Young Pyo just better... Don't forget Seol Ki Hyun who is probably our best crosser. Forward is a problem... We will have to just hope to God that Ahn Jung Hwan gets an epiphany.

Japan... They certainly showed better passing game. But this wasn't enough to shut down Korea. I remain hopeful after this tournament. our guys learned a lot from this...

My only regret is we are losing Pim, because of m*(herf*9kers.

6. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I am a Korean American. I think you owe me an apology on this one.

I live in kangnam in Seoul to confirm what I had written,

한국교포라고 하죠

7. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

The addtion of foreign based players would certainly benefit Korea, but not by a big margin. The lack of scoring cannot be fully accounted for by the simple fact that we are missing core players. Oh yes, they are core players, but the key point is that no one is a proven scorer out of the core group of players we are missing.

Park Ji Sung is a sneaky scorer, someone whom we cannot depend on scoring.

Granted, the addition of such players would help us control the midfield, but who would score the goal?

The general consensus is that it will be scoring by committee, meaning anyone need to step up for one particular night. Players regardless of position need to step up to score, hardly a proven method especially by korean team.

Remember that we did have a very similar situation a few years back when we played China on our home soil. China with two men down, they drew the first blood, with Korean team equalizing on Kim Jin Kyu's free kick.

2 men down, we couldnt score against China.

We do have a history of anemic scoring, and this isnt something anyone can address at a single stroke.

I do like Lee Gun Ho, but again he looks like a good wingplayer, the position where we have a surplus of players competiting for.

8. korean_soccer123

korean_soccer123 New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    I appreciate ur thoughts, but ur stupid. Not alot of people here are talking bout B-team C-team w/e, but if park ji sung, lee young pyo, seol ki hyon, and kim nam il was here, HELL YEA IT WOULD CHANGE THINGS

think of this line up

Seol Ki Hyon-----------Lee Dong Gook-----------------Park ji sung

-----------------------Lee Chun soo-----------------------------

----------Kim chi woo-----------------------Kim Nam Il----------

Lee young pyo-------Kim jyn kyu-----Kang min soo--------oh beom suk

Lee chun soo will be able to play in his natural postion, and the quality of seols crosses and park's defence breaking ability.

IT WOULD HAVE CHANGED ALOT OF THINGS.....but thats my opinion:D

9. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea

Dude, no offense but you really need to see/watch/play more soccer. If our midfield gets strengthened by Park and Kim NI, our seemingly ineffective FWs will score goals! I'm telling you, it's not all FW's fault we didn't score. We didn't create that last pass that could lead to a goal.

Lack of Park JS and Kim NI in the midfield significantly reduced our creativity and attacking options as Verbeek opted to field Kim Jungwoo in addition to Kim Sangshik and Son Daeho who are all defensifive midfielders with poor attacking abilities. In addition, Lee YP could've provided even more options by his overlapping abilities.

Remeber France in '06WC? Without Zidane (Park JS), Abidal (Lee YP), Vieira (Kim NI), and Malouda (Seol), France could've never achieved 2nd place, wouldn't you agree?

I was little sad to go into this competition without the above players, but this asian cup for Korea turned out to be an excellent venue for testing and developing our '10WC team. Not too long ago, us fans were very critical on unstable defense, saying how we failed to inherit the defense line of Choi Jinchul, Hong MB, and Kim Taeyoung as all three retired pretty much at the same time. We found great young defenders through this cup: Kang Minsoo, Kim Jinkyu, Oh Beomsuk, and Kim Chiwoo. Average age of these players is 22. And the only field goal they conceded was due to a silly mistake. They held Iran, Iraq, KSA, and Japan from scoring, (3 games of the 4 games were for 120 minutes.) At the age of 22, they gained a lot of experience. We couldn't have better prep them for '10WC.

10. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

I was Los Angeles All City selection for two years straight, and I received a full scholarship from Division I school, which I turned down.

So let's not go into who is more qualified or not. Pretty much a meaningless argument, eh?

For every good game we play, there is always a risk we might play against Maldive.

I believe we brought out "A team", right?

To say that we would score more goals with the addition of key injured players is an educated guess at best at this point.

We may control the game better, but I am not sure about scoring.

Control? YEs.

Actual goa? Not so sure.

11. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think someone has a low RC skill here.

Where did I mention that the addition of such players WOULDNT change things?

I am not talking about the quality of play here.

We may have a better quality in terms of playing, but would that translate into more scoring for us?

Theoretically yes.

But in reality, no one knows, and I dont think we can convincingly believe that ou scoring will immediately benefit with those players.

Theoretically, we were supposed to beat Iraq, Bahrain, Maldive, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, Japan.

In reality, we either lost or tied with each of the teams I mentioned.

12. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Good post, Daraverla. Many insights. There is a part of me that realizes that, as things are set up, Korea will never consistently be in the top 20 soccer nation in the world. Once in a while, a miraculous gem like Cha Bumgeun will come along, but they will be few and far between. But, my hopes rise and fall with the team, and I will bitch and moan about how things should be, etc. I will continue to wake up at ungodly hours to watch our boys compete.

13. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    So based on your qualifications, do you honestly believe our lack of scoring is because we lack FWs who can score?? Or let's go back to my france analogy. Do you not feel France couldn't finished 2nd without the mentioned players?

And I do agree with most of the other things you mentioned in your original post on "fundamental problems." except on few things but what's new? Many Koreans overseas often forget about the general soccer infrastructure(both hard and soft). Our soccer population is mere 23,052 (as of 7/07 per KFA.org) That's including kindergarten, elementary, middleschool, highschool, clubs, pros, men & women, boys & girls, and everyone else who regularly plays soccer and participates in competitions. That's 1/20 of Japan's, 1/50 of China, and 1/100 of most of European countries.

We just don't have a big pool of players. And even the ones we have, only 10% gets proper training at early ages. Remaining 90% spend their childhood and adolescent years receiving training that's more similar to ROK Army's than soccer team's- running sand tracks under extrememe conditions.

We are slowly changing but all we can do is just watching. We can't accelerate anything because Korean parents don't want their kids to play sport!(any sport except golf) Unless the kid shows unbelievable talent or shows no aptitude in classroom materials, he/she will be kept out of soccer fields forever. So most of our soccer players come from struggling families who either don't have parents to keep them from playing or financially incapable to support kid's education.
    Look at our NT players and name one who didn't come from a struggling family.

It's just a miracle what Korea has achieved in soccer and to have players like Cha Bum and Park Ji Sung.

So we know we can't do anything about the basic skills (general ball handling) because those skills can only be learned at young age. We can't do anything about small player pool. What we can do is getting the best possible result with what we have. That's why we're debating so much more on coaching change than complaining about our players' lack of basic skills. (although I do not think our players' techniques are good but that's for another discussion).

14. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Hey, Wutang, I think you have some good insights also. I didn't realize Korea's talent pool was so small. From my point of view, I think you two are vastly in agreement, with just a couple of points of disagreement. No need to talk about how much one watches/plays soccer. Just discuss the merits/demerits of the viewpoints.

15. The One & Only

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    Oct 8, 2006
    산 속에
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I see your point, but we're happy because our team outlast Japan with a man down and most of our coaches off the field.

It's true PKs is a draw, but funny thing is Korea went through the knock-out without even scoring a goal.

16. Homotachi

Homotachi New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    USA
    Be too happy?

Soccer is played by who puts the ball in the back of the net. Great VICTORY is owed to those who do the scoring!!!! Korea is good team but Japan is the UPPER team because of the scoring.

Until Korea can put more GOALS in the score, then it is OK to say Japan is upper no? Korea did good job making 3rd place in ASIAN CUP.

17. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, no. LOL.

I am sorry to put this such blatantly, but my short answer for your question is widely understood by others.

Defense wins the championship.

Whether it is soccer, baseball, football, or basketball, it is the defense that wins the game.

2006 Italy did it on the back of its defense, and 1998 France did it with its strong defense.

Going back to your comment about Japan being "upper", you are more than welcome to think that way.

I honestly would feel better if there are more Japanese people like you who want to believe that.

We are just happy to take wins, marches to the next round, and perhaps win the championship along the way.

Others, well... they can spend their time TALKING about who is "upper" or "lower"...

18. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Hard to say.

I wish to believe your point of argument, and logically looking at the issue at hand, your point seems valid.

The only problem with my previous comment is the ramification of the word "seems".

In reality, no one knows, and at the same time, I am not here to be philosophical about the prospect of Korean soccer.

I am sorry to inform you that I do not have any solution, even remote ones, to the problems I have mentioned.

Korean soccer did make a huge stride into the realm of top 20~25 teams in the world in the early years of this decade, but for some reason, I cannot shake off the premonition that Korea has for some time been stuck in this invisible corridor behind which the playground of all those top teams play.

19. Homotachi

Homotachi New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    USA
    Why so angry?

You are right to say DEFENSE is important and team with a good defenses can win the victory.

In the end however the team who wins is the team who makes GOALS. The team with perfect OFFENSE and no defense can win. The team with no offense and perfect DEFENSE can only make tie.

If Korea had SHUNSUKE NAKAMURA or NAOHIRO TAKAHARA, maybe they will make VICTORY in the WC. Maybe we should make Japan-Korea team in WC2010 to make friendships and win the CUPS. We have Korean player Lee Chun Song on our team already.

20. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the mutual problem both Korea and Japan faces when in attacking mode is that both teams resort to using the sides rather than penetrating from the top.

The inability to make something happen from the top of penalty box implies that both teams are hesitant about making the pass into the box, which is understandable consideraing the style of these two teams.

Unless Korea and Japan figure out the methods (highly unlikely, since reading the defense and making that crisp through-the-crowd pass isnt something you learn overnight) or attains player quite capable of making fluid movements in the box area (reasonable, but we have all been waiting for this for some time, havent we?), Korea and Japan faces an uphill battle of making hailmary crosses from sides.

The memory of 2002 Busan Asian semifinal match against Iran tells me that for every cross we made into the box, nearly every one of them was soundly cleared by Iraninan defense.

So, what is the alternative method of scoring?

counter attack....but again going back to my initial argument, withouth the forward, half-step faster pass from the defense, I dont see Korean team making too many chances in the counter attack modes.

I am not pessimistic at all, since I believe a good and improving four back formation will keep Korea until the very last minute.

But at the same time, I do have to be realistic here.

When we are talking about Korea or Japan, we are talking about a team that has no immediate prospect of having players with the caliber of Rooney, Kaka, or Henry.

21. Homotachi

Homotachi New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    USA
    I watched Korea games against Japan and Iraq.

Problam with the Korea NT is MF is too weak. Korea DF is good and will get ball. Then other team will go to DEFENSE mode. Korea DF however will be too slow to give ball to MF. Also Korean MF are not skilled to receive ball and move it up. Sometimes they lose the ball. So the Korean DF will hit the ball long to FW and try to make the goal instead. So only long passes for Korea is 50-50. Also Koreans are too small to play this game. Korean are tall to Vietnam but against other teams this air tactic is poor.

If Korea had NAKAZAWA (187 cm) and NAKAMURA (179 cm) and TAKAHARA (180 cm), they can win the Cups. But for the misfortune we are two countries.

22. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, no. I wasnt angry at all.

I am rather....dejected and resigned to see another random post of old "My father can beat your father!" when we should stop and think of the future road ahead of us, as opposed to getting into "upper" or "lower" theoretical talk.

We need more than Nakamura or Takahara to be compatible with the level of the world's top performing team.

In all honesty, we are probably one great forward away from being a consisitent top 16 team in the world, and we are perhaps one great forward and one great midfielder away from being a consistent top 8 team in the world.

No offense (pun intended), but Nakamura and Takahara arent the caliber of players we need here to make progress.

Japan, as good as it has demonstrated on the offense, is still a soft team in my opinion, and I still dont have confidence whether Japan can OUTLAST others in a very heated match.

Japan has of course shown flashed of awesome soccer, but Japan do also need one or two more "breakthroughs" to become elite teams in the word.

23. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agree with your analysis of Korean MF and consequently inevitable Long Ball tactics by Korea.

It's very ironic to hear that Koreans are too small to play this, coming from....you.

I havent paid too much to the physique nature in this post, since I haven seen any signs of Korean players being outmuscled or outhustled by opposing players.

24. Homotachi

Homotachi New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    USA
    Yes this is true. Japan need a strong defense to go to elite level. NAKAZAWA will not be here forever so we need to do a trainings for younger players. Also we have scoring problems too. Our OFFENSE is good, but SCORING is bad. I want to think luck is bad, but SCORING is a skill level too. I think our countries are going to upper level but with a time.

25. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Well, I gotta go to bed right now, since my watch is showing 4:57 AM here in Korea.

Anyway to wrap up the things we talked about today, I honestly believe that NAKAZAWA is actually a more VALUABLE player to Japan than Nakamura is.

Nakazawa is the heart and soul of your team, and his firm entrenchment in the back line will help solidify midfielder attack, which in turn may help its offense.

I am in favor of first solidifying defense and then honing the front attacking lines, as opposed of first setting up the offense and taking care of the defense with time.

Everything must start with defense.

But unfortunately, for Korea, it was ALL defense in this tournament.

I am very ambivalent here, by the way.

I am happy that Korea is finally enjoying a very solid defense.

Yet, I feel very dejected, resigned, and disappointed by unprecended anemic offense power by Korean team.

It's probably one of the worst drought in korean soccer history.

I hate to getting used to this.