My Kerry Manifesto

Discussion in 'Elections' started by peledre, Nov 2, 2004.

1. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really not as worried about a Kerry Presidency as I once was. In all likelihood he'll be dealing with a 20+ Republican margin in the house and a +4 Republican margin in the Senate. He won't have enough votes for alot of his more liberal social programs to pass, but he'll probably boost worldwide opinion of the US by a few points, it's really not going to be that bad if he wins.

In any event, I wrote myself in on the presidential race, and voted for John Thune to replace Tom Daschle.

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know there's still people who believe in Matt Drudge... I would not want the poor guy to lose his job as right wing spinster..... Karl Rove, on the other hand....... ;)

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    This from the man who "showcases" one-night stands on a soccer message board, I am not surprised.

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll probably get more votes than Nader :D

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    this country needs liberalism, ignorant puritan!

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember studying the Kerry Manifesto at school. It began something like this:

A specter is haunting Europe. The specter of George W. Bush. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holly alliance to exorcise this specter...

and it ended thus:

Flip-floppers of the world Unite!

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so! :cool:

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not certain the Senate will break like that; could easily go to the Democrats.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty weak manifesto. Aren't these things supposed to be days long with all sorts of nonsensical babble and such? I mean, you got the latter part right, but it needs a few more words. :)

10. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I'll start mailing the bombs next week, hopefully that will liven things up.

11. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll find out for sure in about 6 hours, but the chances of a democrat majority in the senate are slim to none and none just left town.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Not to nitpick, because you are right that the GOP controlled House won't let him pass too many bills, but what liberal social programs?

The only real spending program in his platform is the health insurance buy-in plan (which btw is expected to cost much less than Bush's social security privatization). His choice of economic adviser suggests that he is the more fiscally conservative of the two candidates, by far.

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going on his 20 year record in the Senate, not by his choice of economic advisor if he's a big government/social programs fan or not.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, I think Kerry will work fairly well with the Senate (if he wins ;) ). He is one of their own, and they will like the fact that he was able to make the jump. He also has a decent working relationship with at least a handful of Republican senators -- enough to get some work done.

They know that the "20 year record" was a lot of campaign fluff. Everyone of them would have their "record" ripped to shreds in a national election.

The House is another matter. :D

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well let's just look at some races and tell me that there's no chance.

Alaska: Lisa Murkowski (R) barely ahead of Democratic challenger former Gov. Tony Knowles in the polls. Some polls have Knowles ahead.

Colorado: Democratic state attorney general Ken Salazar leads Republican beer magnate Pete Coors outside margin of error. This is a Republican seat (Ben NightHorse Campbell).

Florida: Neck and neck between the Democrat, former University of South Florida president Betty Castor and former Housing and Urban Development secretary Mel Martinez. Most polls have Castor ahead, but inside the margin of error.

Kentucky: State Sen. Daniel Mongiardo (D) closing rapidly on a doddering looking Republican Sen. Jim Bunning. As they say in the Presidential race - "in play."

Louisana: If Republican Rep. David Vitter gets more than 50% he wins, but if he doesn't, most pundits think he loses to whatever Democrat comes in second. At present that is Democratic Rep. Chris John

North Carolina: Dead heat for Sen. John Edwards seat between former Clinton White House chief of staff Erskine Bowles and Rep. Richard Burr.

Oklahoma: Remarkably inept campaign former Republican Rep. Tom Coburn - sterilised a woman w/o her consent and then said he didn't do it, then admitted he did -puts Rep. Brad Carson in with a greta chance of winning the Republican seat held by retiring Sen. Don Nickles.

South Dakota: Even even between Daschle and Thune. Toss up.

In all of those races above the Democrats are either leading, tieing or within the margin of error; obviously one doesn't expect ALL those races to fall to the Dems., but I don't think there's anyway that the GOP will hold a 4+ seat majority in the next Senate, and there's a good chance the Dems. may hold a 1 seat majority and might only need 50/50 if Kerry pulls off the big one.

16. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can think whatever the hell you want man (don't let the facts get in the way), but when the Sun comes up tomorrow, the senate is going to be at worst 50-50, probably +1 or +2 for the Reeps.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    If I'm not mistaken, the last senator to make the jump straight to the White House was Kennedy.

Since then, Senators Goldwater, McGovern, Dole and Gore have all ran and failed in their bid for the presidency. Nixon was a Senator from California, but he had served as President and went into law practice before running in 1968. A Senate record is too much of a liability, I guess.

In contrast, Carter, Clinton, Reagan and Bush II have gone straight from the Governor's Mansion to the White House, while only Dukakis and Wallace (does he count?) lost.
    98 times! He voted for tax increases 98 times!

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Interesting. Where have I not let the facts get in the way? All I did was look at some races and say what the polls were saying. Furthermore in your original post you said
    Now it's
    To where'd those four seats disappear in the space of 10 posts?

Such steadfast belief..........

19. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scoreboard.

20. peledre

peledre Member