My High School Coach's Perspective on the M.L.S.

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by kicktricks2, Nov 24, 2004.

1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

you guys are just tooo much...on the money ...but still toooo much...

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    You can extend that 'I used to play pro' to anyone from any country in Europe.

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ah, just ask him what club(s) and years and mention you've got a friend with some Rothmans Yearbooks and you'd like to look up his stats. You might find his glittering career amounts to a (failed) trial at Brentford when he was 15.

I do like the idea the the English style developed due to playing in mud where passing was all but impossible. For decades virtually every kid who made the grade came from a background of playing on the streets, either on tarmac or cobbles. Not a huge amount of mud there.

....and anyone who thinks the climates of England and Norway are similar is rather mistaken. Over here, grown adults get giddy with excitement at seeing snowfall over an inch in depth.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Or the sun.

5. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    ....Well...Yeah! :rolleyes:

6. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    So he has been watching MLS for so long and he has yet to learn that you do not call the league THE MLS? :rolleyes: I find this intriguing.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    no, we never see the sun because the country is constantly blanketed in the fog that so well known to people over there.

The fact is though, like pretty much any other job, people are going to bulls*** to a degree about their previous experience. It just so happens that it's a bit easier to find somebody out when it's a sports career they are lying about. Even if they don't lie about what they've achieved, they might lie about the comparitive standard to make themselves sound better. Making four substitute appearences for Southend Reserves wouldn't make anyone here think they'd be an excellent coach, but if they can convince (blissfully) ignorant parents over there that such a career put them a whisker away from international fame, then they are more likely to get a coaching job.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Pretty close to true this time of year, no? I found a chart that says that London averages about 1 hour of sunshine per day in December. That ain't much.

9. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D :D :D Shwing.

10. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I thought you said a MILF. One track mind. Carry on. :D :D :D

11. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The MLS is not that bad of a league. The league often looks that way, however, because no team has 11 players good enough to compete. On most teams, 8-10 players are very good, but every team seems to have one (or more) weak spots that can be easilt exposed. Also, the few really world class players in the league like Landon Donovan make the defending look awful.

The MLS, and its teams, have not developed enough of an identity to have one destinct playing style. With salary caps and the league owning all of the players' contracts, no teams will be able to develop their own style of play any time soon, especially with the draft keeping all teams on basically level footing.

12. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i knew 2 english coaches and another coach who went on to open up a soccer academy...and all those fucqers say the same thing, that they're amazed of the turnaround the sport made here in the states in the last decade...
    fucqer who found the academy said he remembers kids showing up in jean shorts and crappy shoes to try out...now it's beautiful, over-priced cleats and "professional-like attire"
    the coaches say kids are stronger, have that winning attitude that fergie said tim howard and other US kids had, and said MLS is a strong foundation for these guys...all said they could see US getting Cup before their homeland...
    (and coaches are season-tix holders for metros)

13. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    perhaps the reason most of the englishmen you talk to say they are pros because you're only talking to englishmen that are big soccer freaks. who are these guys? they are the refs or the coaches at your kids games, they are writers for newspapers, magazines, or websites that write about soccer and other sports. they are guys on here who have an intense passion for the game.

(just for the record, i have never met an englishman that claims to have been a pro player)

14. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a Euro company do some engineering at our plant recently, and a contingent of about 20 Italians and Englishmen spent some time over here. Only 2 of the English were even fans of soccer... one was a big Middlebrough man and the other played amateur for a college in Manchester in the 80's. He had some funny stories to tell about playing against Man U's youth or reserve sides (I forget which, now) and getting drubbed all the time. Only one of the Italians followed the game, although he was fanatical, to the point of tears when the Azurri lost in the Euro cup. I was sorely disappointed since I was hoping to talk shop.

So I guess the ratio for me was about 1 in 20 say they played soccer.

15. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    MLS has and will continue to improve, and maybe one day it might be on the level of some of Europe's top leagues.

16. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. He was never a pro player, no matter how much he tries to tell you he was. That is how he got the coaching job, by lying through his teeth. Think about, how is anyone going to do a background check?

2. He's a Eurosnob.

3. Ask him who one the last time U.S. and England met in the World Cup.