my future

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by erick, Oct 1, 2008.

1. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    im a junior in high school and i have good grades. I have A & B's.im on advance math (taking pre-cal as a junior),honor english,and AP history. I have a lot of teachers that tell me that a have a bright future ahead of me but there is a big problem. I was not born in this country (immigrant) i could go to a community college but there is 2 problems, first whats the point im not going to be able to work because of my status and second is that they are thinking of not allowing immigrants into community college anymore.(state of alabama)..idk what to do because i want to go to college and i was thinking of becoming an engineer like my unlce but it seems like i cant do it because my family doesnt have the money.

any ideas of what to do?

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Apply to private schools. Let your teachers and counselor(s) know that it's your dream to go to college and you recognize that now is the time to start organizing this.

This does 2 things:

1. It sets you apart from the herd b/c you're a responsible young man. Adults will want to work w/ you and nurture you through the process

2. No educator can resist helping out a student that wants to succeed. It's like we're programmed to help out students like yourself.

You need to look into schools that have strong recruiting drives for minority students and maybe make a campus visit to specifically meet such students.

I gotta go, but I'll try to come back later w/ more stuff.

buena suerte,
    uclacarlos

3. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

thanks, and thats what im starting to do. im working hard to have a good grade on the ACT

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse my ignorant question - you're an immigrant, right, not an illegal immigrant? Tough to answer on an internet chat board, but I know of no provision in any state and any state run institution that could or would prevent an immigrant from attending college or university. I don't know enough about how illegal immigrants are considered to be any help however.

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is a tough one, but maybe this helps: I know a few Americans (and Canadians) who came to (continental) Europe because tuition is much less here (even though most f them do their Masters here). You do get Visas for your studies, and at least in the Netherlands and Scandinavia you can do your Bachelor on some subjects like business in English. If you are a good student you can get tuition from certain bodies (for example the German American council). I guess your Spanish won't be that bad, Spain's not that bad when it comes to college education, neither.
    On the downside cost of living tends to be higher, at least in Western Europe.

6. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
  7. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you not go to college in your native country?

It is pretty messed up that illegal immigrants can go to elementary/middle/secondary schools but not college. It seems, from a taxpayers perspective, it should be the other way around.

8. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

i was thinking europe 2 but again money is a problem.

and i was born in mexico and have been living here for 8 years

9. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Applying for scholarship won't hurt :)

And, as I said, without a scholarship decent education in Europe is cheaper than American ones, albeit the higher costs of living. And a good US highschool diploma should open some doors.
    Didn't even know that illegal aliens in the states can't join secundary education. Sounds pretty F*ed up to me.

10. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i know rite.....

and i want to go here instead of mexico because i have been here most of my education life and it will be hard in stuff like math,science,and Literature because i learn it on the english language and college is already hard enough..

in the state where i live (alabama) they are thinking of banning us from community college. but my consuler said that i could get some scholarships from private sources and scholarships that fit me (example hispanic). she said once i get the scholarships then it would be hard for them to denie me the student visa but idk about that

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't want to sound harsh, it is your decision, and if I had the choice between Mexico or the States to go to school to I'd propably chose the states. But learning the vocabulary neccessary to study in a language you never studied in but speak quite well is a lot easier than you think it is (did that twice).

12. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

i want to go to college period. i would like it to go to the united states...like miami

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be handy to look for scholarship support someplace in the US where they want to diversify their student body, as opposed to Miami. Programs like CAMP at the University of Idaho and elsewhere offer some interesting support, though it is specifically for children of migrants. Still, the idea of looking at, say, Mankato State in Minnesota, UI in Idaho, Bowling Green in Ohio, and similar schools which might (for lack of a better word) "need" folks of Mexican descent might be a way to go.

14. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

i was also thinking colorado school of mines

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Univ. of Miami does not have substantial amounts of students from Central America and Mexico.They have a ton of Cubans, and a ton of uber-wealthy students from throughout Latin America.

And I know for a fact that their Latin American studies center -- whatever it is called -- strives real hard to diversify the college's research and intellectual interests regarding Latin America. One of my profs from undergrad teaches there and focuses on Cuba, and she has told me personally that it is her mission to get students to think beyond Cuba. And she's one of the chief profs in charge of Latin American Studies.

But I'm not sure how that works out in admissions.

Typically, wealthy schools want socio-economic diversity, so I think it's important to apply to those types of schools.

When I was in Miami this summer, we met a Mexican alum of UM. He comes from a wealthy family in Mexico, but he said that the kids at UM are rich beyond belief.

And that the girls are off the hook smoking hot. :D

16. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

im taking AP classes and Honor classes to raise my gpa because university of miami is a hard school to get into.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is something to do - talk to admissions and find out about enrolling as Mexican. I know this can cause a logistical problems (getting passport, etc.), but might make things a bit easier. But, the biggest question I would ask is if you can use your US schooling to be accepted as a Mexican national.

btw - around here (Arizona), the Mexican embassy is fairly helpful to illegals when it can. Well, at least they were when I knew about a year ago. I had a couple if illegal students in my classes who had talked to the embassy and said the embassy was helpful.

18. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    do you know about any schools in arizona that are known for engineering or Ag.?

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Merage Foundation scholarship website

This is a foundation that gives $10,000 scholarships to immigrants. Certain conditions apply. I'm sure it's very competitive, but you never know.

Try and find more scholarships like this and set up a meeting w/ the college counselor to discuss these issues. Start lining up letters of rec right away and find teachers that would be willing to look over your materials.

20. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The Merage Foundation for the American Dream offers students who have immigrated to the United States and have become citizens of the U.S. or hold a Permanent Resident Card :(

this r my grades for this nine weeks

english 11 honors 88
    pre-cal 87
    chemistry 85
    u.s. history ap 94

21. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Keep up the good work in history, especially b/c it's an AP course, which counts extra as far as GPA.

If you can get the chemistry to an A- you'll do yourself a h-uge favor mathematically.

You're being challenged by your teachers. Take the challenge head on. Run w/ it. Get/stay engaged. You're right really close to getting A's in those important classes. And those are going to be your teachers w/ glowing letters of rec that attest to your maturity and tenacity.

Adelante!

22. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    thats why i took them classes to help me because they raise my gpa. im triyng hard to get all A's.

im using 2 good websites to see what scholarships im qualified for.. scholarships.com and fastweb.com

23. Semi-Crazed

Semi-Crazed Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Believe it or not you can get scholarships for all sorts of things. We kind of have the opposite wants here. You want to stay in the U.S. and I want to get out...not because I don't like the country but because I want to experience the world a bit. I'm a junior too. In the summer I'm going to college campuses around Europe just to see what will be better for me. However if I do plan on staying in the U.S., I'll most likely go to Stanford or the University of Chicago(the good one not the UIC one). Try to get straight A's it will really help especially if you're a minority such as myself. I know its wrong to some extent to advocate the use of "affirmative action" but hey if it helps--it helps. Also you've got to study hard for those SATs or ACT tests as well as AP exams. It also looks good if you do a lot of community service. Here in Chicago we have to have at least 40 hours of it but since I'm in IB its a lot more!:(

Good luck on your future.
    P.S. Canadian colleges aren't that bad either just in case staying in the U.S. doesn't work.:)

24. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Ap history test is going to be the hardest test that I will take (from what i heard) but im studying hard for it (1 hour a day)

im planning to take the act this year and re-take it again.

community service is kind of hard here because i live in a small town but my school has this thing called give me five which means you have to do 5 hours of community each year and do a poster about it so i hope that counts

25. Semi-Crazed

Semi-Crazed Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I took the AP US history test last year if you need some pointers. I got a 5 on it. Got the same score for the AP European History test.