::My First PDL Game, Or USSoccer Bingo ::

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by SankaCofie, Jul 27, 2004.

1. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I went to the Southeast Conf. PDL Playoffs this past week, and saw two VERY entertaining games.

DaLLasFortWorth vs. Central Florida
    El Paso vs. Cocoa

This leaves my USSoccer Bingo Sheet looking like this:

HighSchoolGame - check
    College Game - check
    PDL Game - check
    ProSoccerLeague - (no)
    A-League - (no)
    MLS - check
    US Open Cup - (no)
    USMNational Team - (no)
    Qualifier - (no)
    Fifa Tournament - (no)

Its rather sparse I realize but i'd like to ramble on a bit about the similarities in the games i HAVE experienced, if any of you are closer to winning USSoccer Bingo and would like to share your opinions feel free.

I'll use the PDL games as a reference point since it was kind of somewhere in between all the other ones in terms of atmosphere and gameplay.

The field was torn up on the side closest to the stands and it kind of affected the gameplay. There were a few players with very good ball control, and then others who seemed to have trouble keeping the ball inbounds. Naturally the former tended to have their way with the latter. While its not entirely uncommon to see players misshandle the ball in MLS it seemed a bit more prevalent in the PDL games, poor passes and bad headers abounded.

The El Paso - Cocoa game ended 5 - 4. I'd say it was characterized by a very plain but effective group effort on the part of Cocoa, lobbing in crosses, taking advantage of set plays as well as what can only be described as the worst defending i've ever seen in my life in an organized game of soccer on the part of El Paso. In El Pasos defense their attacking was much more inspired than Cocoas, one player (number 13) stood out in particular. On more than one occasion he shamed a cocoa defender, and on one of those he managed to slice a very violent shot in from the far right of the box, the keeper had little chance.

The CentralFlorida - DallasFW game was much more evenly matched, and much more exciting, as they traded the lead a few times before CF came out on top. The defending was much better but you could still see a marked difference in the level of play from that of MLS. Suffice it say that one Chris Armas on each team would have vastly improved the gameplay. There were still alot of give-aways, but all in the all the second game was very much worth the $5.00.

The fans were quite loud when their team was in with a chance (which actually wasn't all that infrequent) but otherwise it was about as sedate as a the NON-section 8 end of cardinal stadium (cheer when you score then sit and talk to your neighbor). There was also a sizeable amount of them. Maybe 400-500.

The one thing that really made the play seem amature was the amount of play-acting and sad attempts at gamesmanship. It was afwul not only in that they tried it alot but that they were quite bad at it. Never have i heard so much whining on a soccer field (except during intramurals when i'm the ref :rolleyes: ).

If i had to compare the PDL with the other games i've been to i'd say it was only slightly less exciting than the MLS games I attended at the old tampa stadium, but a fair amount less exciting than the fire games. Somehow 400 people in a confined space watching people kick the ball around with a fair amount of difficulty seems more exciting than the same type of play in a cavernous behemoth of a stadium. It was also nice to see that the organization seemed to not only care about its fans but actually came out seemed to KNOW alot of them. The CF kraze organization is apparently tied to the youth soccer league around here and it was nice to see a lot of people in kraze shirts come out and talk to the fans.

The only games the PDL compared favorably with were the NCAA soccer games i'd attended.

Those games were worsened by the unlimited subs, which really changed the nature of the game. It seemed more like a rolling anthill at times than a soccer game, and though it may have been nice to see timmy regan and gavin glinton and a precious few other GOOD players it very much gave the impression that you and your friends could do better had you not been so hungover. I'm not entirely sure that most college teams couldn't compete in the PDL since their players seem to overlap at times but the gameplay was somehow a thousand times worse. I have to assume it was the number of subs.

I'm quite happy with the PDL games I attended, and if you're the kind of person who can appreciate some pretty good individual play and can manage to watch a few kids make some god awful tactical and ballhandling mistakes and grievous errors in judgement w/o screaming your head off at them... then i'd say hell... drop $5 and go see if you like your local PDL team.

Hopefully this year i'll be able to check off an Open Cup game and a Qualifier as well (crossing fingers i still might be able to make it to jamaica, which is closer than any of the home matches we'd be playing unless they schedule them in miami).

If any of you have been to either of the USL or Open Cup games i've missed feel free to chime in. sure there are alot of people who have probably made at least one of every game I listed.

*editted to say*

its been a while since i've been on bigsoccer... what the hell happened to the bease and how are there 4 A-league teams in the USOC quarterfinals?

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanka, I hope you can make it to the next Kraze PDL match when the Kraze take on Carolina for the PDL Semi-Final match at UCF this saturday.
    Let me know if you need more info.

3. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I work on Saturday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, if its after that then i'm good to go because it'll be on the way home from my new job.

i would have attended an Ajax game but the USL site misrepresented the place and time of their games against Cocoa (switched the home and away dates).

slightly less than professional.

isn't Ajax sposed to produce an A-league team by next season? is that still on track when they had such difficulty in the PDL? what ever happened to the stadium talk? pipe dream? not that i'm getting antsy or anything... just curious if thats still on the agenda and if its moving forward right now or on hold.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Sanka, here are the details of saturday's match:
    PDL Soccer National Semi-Final Game at UCF

The Central Florida Kraze and the Carolina Dynamo will
    play this weekend for a trip to the PDL National
    Championship.
    Come out and support Orlando's Central Florida Kraze
    soccer team!

July 31
    8:00pm Saturday
    University of Central Florida- Soccer Complex

Directions to UCF
    http://www.ucf.edu/campusmap/location2.htm

Maps of UCF
    http://www.ucf.edu/campusmap/printmap.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

As for Ajax Orlando changing venues, I agree that it was rather retarded. Thats why I got into the habit of calling them first. They hope to be more stable next year, perhaps playing in the city of Orlando for all matches. They are committed to PDL but I now doubt we have a A-League at least this coming year. Never know though. Ajax really wants to build some kind of soccer stadium before it brings A-League down here.

Antsy about pro soccer returning to Orlando? Why would you be that? :)

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh and if you see a guy with a US Natl shirt (with O'Brien on it) with wife and child in tow, say hi!
    ~Ethan

6. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My personal US Soccer Bingo sheet (with Home teams named)

High School (no)
    College Game (UWM Panthers, Marquette Golden Eagles)
    PDL Game (Wisconsin Rebels)
    PSL (no)
    A-League (Milwaukee Rampage, Milwaukee Wave United, Minnesota Thunder)
    MLS (Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, Columbus Crew)
    U.S. Open Cup (Milwaukee Rampage, Milwaukee Bavarians, Milwaukee Wave United)
    United States MNT (vs Poland)

Not bad for for an Englishman.

7. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh I forgot NPSL/MISL (Milwaukee Wave, Kansas City Comets, Cleveland Force)

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...

High School (J.E. Taylor HS, Katy HS)
    NCAA College Game (Caltech men, Duke men, USC women)
    W-League (no)
    Pro Indoor (Houston Hotshots)
    PDL (no)
    PSL (no)
    A-League (no)
    MLS (Los Angeles Galaxy)
    U.S. Open Cup (no)
    USWNT (no)
    USMNT friendly (vs Brazil 2001)
    WC Qualifier (no)
    FIFA Tournament (Gold Cup 2002: USA vs. South Korea, USA vs. Canada)

Now that I have a car, I intend to get to some more games. Unfortunately the PDL season is over, so I have to wait until 2005; otherwise I would check out the OC Blue Wave since they're supposed to be somewhat of a Galaxy farm team.

9. s140

s140 New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I have a question for you guys. I have played PDL for 2 years and one full year of MISL as a reserve player. I was recently offered a chance to play in the german 4th division with the chance to move up with good play.

I have not followed the german leagues to be honest, but the fact that they play 9 months out of the year is really appealing as I could really use that to help me progress. I have also heard the german leauge is one of the highest levels of play. Playing MISL really helps your touch but it does not help your outdoor game.

What can compare to the 4th german division in America? Anybody have any input on this. I basically have to decide between playing MISL again as a reserve player or German 4th division by october 1st and would like some more input.

10. BloodFeast

BloodFeast New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Pennsylvania

You may want to start a new thread to ask your question. Maybe you could post it in "Yanks Abroad"? You may get more of a response. Good luck to you in any case.

11. Brewster

Brewster Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Pasadena,Ca
    I believe the German 4th division is a regional set up by state, with relagation up to the 3rd division regional. More than likely it is amatuer. Probably comparative to the amatuer division in US Soccer, but level of play could be higher than the PDL. Hope this helps. You might try the German federation web sites for more info.

12. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    It's regional (9 leagues/16 states).

It's mostly semi-professional. Some players will be pro, some players will be amateurs though.